View Single Post
Old 12-28-2006, 12:12 AM
sheep hunter

Default Re: Crossbows

Quote:
Crossbow enthuisiasts (or wannabees) are just like any other "special interest group" who want something. They want what you already have. They want you to tolerate them. They want to get married to other crossbow shooters. They want to wear camo turbans. They want to be able to hunt with their crossbows at night. Right.....I am exagerating somewhat lol. But they want part of the pie. There is only one pie, and it keeps getting cut into smaller or illogical pieces in order for everyone to be accepted. People have rights (he said sarcastically lol).
Hmmm...I think I remember another special interest group getting rights...I think they were called archery hunters. There wasn't always an archery season and the general season got cut into illogical pieces. By your logic we should just go back to one hunting season for all weapons. If you want to talk special interest group, about 5% of the licenced bow hunters in Alberta are archery only hunters. The remainder are multi-weapon hunters.

Sharpstick....the crossbow would allow a great number of people that are unable to shoot vertical bows for one physical reason or another to enjoy some of the great opportunities afforded archers and it would also introduce new people into a declining sport...

I have trouble, being a hunter dedicated to increasing participation in the sport, even though it reduces my opportunities and increases my draw times, having much tolerance for a special interest group that is so protectionist of their opportunities even though their participants are declining. Give me some other arguements why crossbows should not be included in archery season and I'll listen and may even be convinced but if the best you can do is that it will get more people in the field and affect your wait for a draw tag, I say boo...freaking...hoo.

For the record, I am a vertical bow hunter too and think something needs to be done to encourage more hunters to spend more days in the field during archery season. I'd happily wait another year or two for special archery permits if it meant we had more hunters in the field.