Thread: Crossbows???
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretohunt View Post
I agree with you on your first point entirely and mostly on your second point. To explain a bit more clearly though, the definition of hunting that I refer to is not my opinion but the one outlined in the regulations.
On your third point-If I was ever unable to use my bow for some reason I would without hesitation get a permit for a crossbow and certainly hunt with it. That is a great rule and there is a reason for it being in place.
Thanks for clarifying .

On my 3rd point, my elbow 'injury' is not severe enough to allow me to get a crossbow permit. So if I want to 'archery' hunt here in Alberta, by Alberta rules I'm SOL, so my recurve stays on the rack .

Fortunately up here we have a loooong general season so it's basically a moot point for me for hunting in home territory . I do feel for the guys who are in the same situation and can't enjoy a 'sport' they love due to archaic and somewhat 'selfish' rules that have been instituted. I hope it changes soon for their sake.

If it requires some game management changes for the good of more people to enjoy the 'sport', so be it. There are lots of opportunities across this province.
Personally I think allowing crossbows into generous archery seasons halfway through is a good and reasonable compromise. For example, if there is a 2 month long archery season, why not allow crossbows in for part of that?

I'd be very surprised if some of the anti-crossbow folks on here remain so opposed to them when they are older and feeling the effects of natural aging. I bet those fellers, when faced with loosing a good chunk of 'their' season would soon begin lobbying for more crossbow inclusion - since that would allow them to continue enjoying the very essence of bowhunting .