View Single Post
Old 04-11-2013, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro-express View Post
Thanks for clarifying that point, I don't like giving advice/opinions on stuff I don't have personal experience on.
It' can sometimes be a bit of a hassle to change some progressives as far as shot charge or powder goes, compared to a single stage, and often trying to adjust the crimp depth , etc will drive you crazy - it's why I got rid of my Posness Warren years ago - it was a very tightly made machine, but it was not so nearly easy to adjust nor was it as tolerant of hull condition as my MEC machines.
The picture of the press with all the wads around it is a sizemaster, and it is a great machine , but if I am working up loads, I keep the primer feed tray empty, otherwise you will drop a primer every time you have a shell in the crimp station.
With a 600 JR , you have no worries at all because it's totally manual and all the stations re very easy to adjust.

On a Progressive however, you have to disconnect thew table advance - which is not a big deal, you just reach around and unhook it, but you still have a bit of a hassle turning the table by hand , and there is stuff in the way that makes manual loading a bit of a pain!!.
Once you are set up however, with say, 17 grains of 700X and 1oz of lead, you can crank to your heart's content, simply switching wads and with the proper hull as it comes around!
The trick, of course ,is to keep focused!!
It takes only the blink of an eye to make a mistake and you have either a no powder condition, messed up hull, no primer _ which also means no POWDER, or a busted up nail or finger!!

love hand loading shotgun shells, far more relaxing than rifle cartridges for me.