View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013, 11:26 AM

Default Setting them up

Yes using a downrigger that is already set up is a dream. I have the electric models on my boat and they are awesome, that being said i have set them up myself to work with what i do. If you do go electric make sure you set your stops so that it doesnt slam into the hull of your boat if your busy fighting a fish for a while and the ball is up to high. Using manual riggers when you bring it up make sure you leave the ball far enough in the water it wont slam into your boat when its rocking in the waves. You can also get the ropes that slip over the cable to allow you to pull the ball over easier. For long battles its nice to have someone actually pull the ball right out of the water and into the holders (also something that is smart to invest in). Good clips for your line is important, i use scotty's and they last a long time. you want to be able to keep lots of tension on your line to allow good hook sets without false tripping all the time. Your going to want to do alot of research on your specific boat as to where you can mount them, and if you dont feel comfortable bring it to a boat shop that can do it for you. ALWAYS drill gelcoat backwards at first. Once its set up you'll love it, but getting it the way you like it might take a couple outings.