View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012, 12:03 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
And I'll type slower...they are not trying to manage mule deer numbers with this change. It has absolutely zero to do with managing the mule deer population. They are just redistributing the same harvest amoung different hunter groups. They are managing hunters to redistribute the same harvest. That's what you and others seem to be missing.

Truthfully, I suspect packhunter's comments were somewhat sarcastic as I'm sure he knows this has zero to do with game management.

In other cases sure ESRD manages hunter numbers to manage game but that is not the intent nor the result in this case.
I think you are missing something in this.

X number of draw tags in a WMU and Y number of deer taken by bow hunters on a general tag.

The number of draw tags is controlable by F&W. However the number of general tags and the success of bow hunters (both of which contribute to increas in harvest) is not controled.

So in order to control harvest all hunters have to go on a controled number of draw tags.

A controlled number of draw tags IS part of mule deer management.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...