View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 07:12 PM

[QUOTE=buck1979;1740163] (No, Not exactly... I have said that, until I am in a position, that I know where that deer is regularly in daylight, that I will not waste time hunting it, rather continue scouting. Becuase frankly if I dont know where he is spending his daylight hours, I haven't done my homework. The point to that statment is exactly the opposite of how you interperted it. I don't wait, ever.

So if I remove "feeding area" from my comment then I have the correct interpretation. Hardly the exact opposite...Let me put it this way...You locate a shooter buck (trail cam or visually with/without feed/bait) and monitor with trail cams in multiple spots or visually until you locate where he IS travelling in good light, Then you setup and wait - hunt for him over bait or not over bait. The only way I can see you not waiting is if you can walk/stalk right up to the buck and kill him.

[QUOTE=buck1979;1740163] If I hang a trail camera on a post, trail, field edge, or a bait, if I do not get pics of visiuals of my target buck in 48-72 hours, Im in the wrong spot and obviously not in his house. So we scout and move, and figure out the deer, THEN when were in a position where we know where he IS travelling in good light, we will go and hunt him.

Like I said you wait for him to appear - hunt for him. It was an episode of Canada in the Rough (stickers buck) where you made those comments, however you never mentioned "his house" so I took it you were referencing bait. "stickers" was killed over bait. I knew of a 230 inch non-typical, problem was his bedroom was in the middle of a 2 sq. mile solid thick bush "house". So I guess the term "house" is relative to the area the bucks lives in and how to hunt him. He was eventually killed (no bait involved) out on the edge of his "house" after 2 visual sightings (homework) and 3 hunting seasons of waiting/hunting the edge he favored.

[QUOTE=buck1979;1740163] ...I read on this thread with the right bait you can grow a 200" whitetail... I will go with umm... no.

I did not say "with the right bait you can grow a 200" whitetail".
I said "with a few years of feeding prime, genetically superior bucks the right "$tuff", you could grow a 200+ inch Sask WT..."could" being the operative word, as in possibly, not "can" as you quoted me...big difference there.

[QUOTE=buck1979;1740163] You cant grow a wild whitetail period.

Depends on what defines a truly wild whitetail. Once you start placing (not growing/deriving from the ground) feed/bait/minerals etc. repeatedly for whitetails at a specific small spot, the deer that feed there are not 100% wild. Even though they may be legally killed in some provinces/states. Less than 100% wild, the potential thru supplemental artificially placing feed to influence and enhance antler size of certain bucks is a fact. Optimum conditions for antler growth, whether they occur naturally or are created/placed artificially, can produce bigger antlers. For 15 years in the 1980's and 1990's I made available supplemental feed to the local (no hunting zone) deer around my place. Usually had around 75 deer annually. I watched many bucks mature and grow up from age 1 1/2 including a couple of 180 class and a 190 class typical and a 240 class non-typical. At the start I fed them only from Dec thru April. When I started supplemental feeding during May thru July for a few years 2 bucks really put on the inches and grew their best racks, becoming 240 class non-typical and 180 class typical bucks even though we had dry spring-dry summer conditions. When they were young there antlers were nothing special, unlike an 8 1/2 yr. old 190 class typical who was approx. a 100 inch 10 pt buck when he was 1 1/2. Many other bucks also had better than ave. yearly increases in antler growth when I fed them during the growing season. But many bucks never passed the 150-160 class.