View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Not sure I'd call a herd with a spreading occurance of CWD fine. Not saying CWD can be traced to baiting or even that there is evidence to support the rate at which CWD spreads in baited vs non-baited populations but CWD is a relative newcomer to western Canada and we haven't even seen the tip of the iceberg yet I don't believe, especially if we look south of the 49th to see their experience. Western Canadian herds are definitely not fine.

I'm not sure there is enough evidence either way to call for a suspension in baiting in Saskatchewan and I don't hear that call too loud yet but there is unquestionably enough evidence to support that it should not be introduced into new areas.
There is no information that CWD is spreading, testing has grown which provides more positive cases.

The US IS a great example in CWD. Massive culls, bait bans etc etc... and nearly all state departments have walked away from those efforts because it hasnt changed the infection rate.

I personally dont believe its a newcomer, just now found because we looked for it.

For anyone who spends a lot of time watching whitetails interact, its ridiculous to think that a bait is all of a sudden causing contact.

Personally, I think the biggest downside to baiting in alberta would be the social problems amoung hunters it can cause, and does in Sk.