View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 11:17 AM

I agree wth CTaylor, the use of cwd for a case to disallow baiting is there. Alberta will never allow baiting for deer. In Sask,I believe way back when the outfitters and the govt were deciding over where the businesses could be run,there was a settlement made that to keep the non-resident pressure away from resident hunting, was to give the outfitters the northern half of the province and allowed them to bait. Which I would assume the outfitters asked for as a prerequisite to go north. I worked for a reputable Sask outfitter for many years, and did the bating thing, and yes if done properly, it is very effective. The law there states that an outfitter has to post the bait site with his particulars, similar to a bear bait here in Ab. The outfitter does not own the bait site. I have seen only a few times over the years that a resident hunter was sitting at one of my stations. All times they left peacefully going back to their own sites! Residents can bait there as well, I do not know of many that do, it is a lot of work if you want to do it rght and actually really increase your odds at taking a trophy. If AB did really ever legalize baiting, I honestly beleive that there would not be a huge influx of grain piles all over the land. Maybe we would see a lot less trucks bombing around and those drivers actually sitting in a blind and hunting! What I found with salt was that during the winter the deer did not pay any attention to it. It wasnt till midsummer that it was hit and really devoured by late summer to early fall. One winter, I thought I would run a few sites to feed deer wth hopes of collecting some trophy sheds. So I proceeded to buy grain and go for it. Well it did not last long, the cash ran out. I did find some beauty sheds,and the deer moved on and continued eating what they normally do.