View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7 View Post
No, I don't. I've known some good teachers; real good. Most of them - and me - were generally disappointed at the selfish union mentality of teachers' unions and the bureaucrats who run schools. I never said "all" and I never said anything about your wife.

I think apologists for teachers and those who think they are overworked and underpaid are "overly opinionated".

When you make broad excuses for teachers, their high wages and benefits, short work year and lack of accountability, don't expect to get away with it by trotting out your wife as justification. Maybe your wife is one of the few good ones, I don't know. I do know that most of them - the majority - range from mediocre to useless.

You forgot the first lesson in honesty.

Nobody else calls 20 days of sitting around "working". Only teachers. Well, OK, they call it "time in lieu" these days and "conventions" and so on. That means "time in lieu of working" in the real world. That's why I said you were wrong with the 200 work days thing.

ON TOP of those days off, most of them don't work a full day on those 180 days - they get paid time to "prepare" within those 180 days.

ON TOP of those days off and time off during those 180 days, many of them get an assistant. Y'know, to do the work that is beneath them.

Are you adding any of this up? Or just writing it off as some kind of entitlement?

And, by the way, that's not what you said. You said this:

Having been corrected, you reach for your label gun and call me "overly opinionated"? Pretty standard liberal reaction, IMO, Jamie.

Nothing will improve in our education system as long as there are lots of people who defend the status quo.

Very well put Rocky!!