View Single Post
Old 09-24-2012, 08:55 PM

Totally stats show young men, often drinking and trying to pick up or a kill the snake for a usually female audience are often the "victims"!

Your saugs out East use the same antivenin. I know in 2006 there were shortages, but Ontario also has a private antivenin bank too, and is so close to the U.S. (which stocks a lot of it) that I can't imagine someone actually needing it and going without. Hopefully they are stocking more of it now to avoid that same scenario from happening again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCanuck View Post
Years ago, as a soldier I was working in Meaford CFTA. We came across a couple of neonate Mississauga rattlers. They were maybe 6" long but very feisty for their size. I handled them with heavy gloves, and they settled down quite soon.

Most people who are bit by rattlers, are young men. LOL.

I think it was last year I read that Ontario is not stocking anti venom as it is too expensive. Apparently it is manufactured in New Zealand.

I would think prairie rattler anti venom is more available, but I would still refrain from getting too close to them. Definitely an animal to be enjoyed from a distance.

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca