View Single Post
Old 08-29-2012, 05:50 AM

Reading through this and trying to sort out the garbage has taken some time but I think LC's fathers thoughts have some merit. The diaphragm will definitely change position during the breathing process. I also believe the bullet could very well have sucked some stomach contents into the chest cavity. Just watching a bullet test in ballistic gel and you see the large void open up in the center of the gel, this has to create a vacuum, so if the gut/stomach was ruptured by the temporary wound channel at the same time the diaphragm was it could very well have happened as his father thought.

Also the bullet just carries the energy, and energy transfer does do permanent damage outside of the actual bullet path. I have shot animals and had a caliber diameter entrance wound and 2x caliber exit wound and the 1/2 the lungs where soup, so in these instances I would say the permanent wound channel far exceeded the 2x caliber expanded bullet so energy transfer must have played a part in the permanent wound channel.