View Single Post
Old 08-26-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Unless the bullet badly damages the central nervous system,animals die because they bleed out. Good luck killing an elk or moose, or worse yet, a charging grizzly, via hydrostatic shock with your 270WSM. My favorite hunting bullets, the Barnes TSX/TTSX almost always exit, yet they kill as fast as any hunting bullet that I have ever used. A bullet designed to expand rapidly, but not to exit, doesn't always penetrate enough on larger game if heavy bone is struck.
Bang on!

I shot a 2 yr old bull moose last year at about 60 yds with a 300 WSM and 180 gr Accubonds. 1st shot he was walking broadside and I hit him through the lungs and he broke into a trot and I hit him again through the lungs. I was pretty certain both hits where good but he didn't show any signs at all other than picking up speed and he was heading towards some tough terrain so I put the 3rd one into the top of his shoulders and that put him down instantly. It all happen quickly and the bull only travelled about 40-60 yds during the 3 shots. Upon skinning it both bullets through the lungs where under the hide on the off side.

My point is that hydrostatic shock didn't provide any advantage in this situation and I really would prefer to use a tougher bullet that I have confidence to penetrate the vitals from poor angles.