View Single Post
Old 08-25-2012, 10:44 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
I personally prefer to have a good blood trail if need be.
2 holes to leak provides double the opprotunity to have blood spill out of the critter.

Animals with a heavy layer of fat, often will have the entrance wound plug off, and allow little blood to leak out, with these kind of critters, a slightly enlarged exit wound usually provides a pretty decent place for blood to leak out.

I agree with this view.

I have seen deer shot well with a .243 that died but were difficult to find. (and one buck was not found for a couple days) Because of no or virtually no blood trail.

I have shot deer pooly but there was a good blood trail and I could follow it up and give it a killing shot.

Obviously one doesn't want too stout a bullet that flies on through without doing extensive internal damage and makes an exit wound. I have shot deer with stout 250 grain bullets from a .35 whelen. The "hole" was right through the deer but the deer was less damaged than one shot with a .243 and a 100 grain bullet.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...