View Single Post
Old 08-09-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
lets look at the margin of error of ,what ever you want to use where ever. I want a GPMG, I want to use it in the back fourty, 200 round belt easly extended to 1000 rounds. 600+ rounds a min. a pal as my certificate of compatancy.. the boys and I head out to "plink" some small blocks. hammer down leads flying. oh. we dont know after 200 rounds she starts to cook off. all by her self. now what. 800 rounds with no fire control till the barrel melts . belt fed not in the pal course. rounds down range no one qualified to change the out come. this may be an extreme example. luckly all one needs to know is break the belt, problem solved. in the heat of the moment whats the chances some one will guess / figure that out. how do we justify tools of modern war in the hands of the public. 100 yrs ago most militaries did not even have full auto.
I'm hardly worried about the above scenario. Firstly, you are not going to see anywhere close to 600 rpm due to cooking off.

If you were using a gun that fired from an open bolt, cooking off would be a non issue.

Any one that's done any shooting at all would realize that 1000 rounds without stop, would spell the end of the barrel's life and perhaps the receiver, due to heat transfer.

It's seldom the guy that can afford to drop $5000 for the gun and $500-$1000 for a few (or 1 1/2) minutes of shooting that we have to worry about.

Those guns are out there, and up to a few years ago were taken out and shot without incident. People generally figure out how to shut it down in case of malfunction. It's not rocket science.