View Single Post
Old 07-29-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Just curious as to what this would achieve or hope to achieve?

Take a course to be allowed to hunt sheep?....volunteer time to be eligible for the draw?

Maybe I just can't think outside the box. I am interested in the approach you are suggesting.....can you explain your vision a little bit more please?

LC
I don't think it's fair to scrap the existing priority system - and with just two years back in the province, believe me, that system isn't helping me any! I'm talking about something that might apply to zones that would go to draw in future.

As I said in a previous post - I'm not committed to the idea, but it's worth a little thought. Some are concerned about competition for a limited number of sheep tags, and that some people will apply for anything just because of the low threshold: $3 and you're in!

So set a requirement that is still relatively easy to meet but would discourage casual applicants. In some ways it's the hands on alternative to just bumping up fees.

Education seems the weaker of the two ideas - but with the number of questions on this forum about mountain skills and sheep in general, a short course might put better prepared hunters in the field and might discourage people who think "Aw, might as well. . ."

Conservation is simpler - and maybe it wouldn't have to be for sheep specifically. You want to get a chance to draw, then you have to give a few hours on an approved wildlife project.

Think in the case of Wainwright - hunters have to attend a mandatory morning briefing. This idea isn't that different.

There are other practical problems with the idea, but I don't see how it is unfair to anyone.

Last edited by Twobucks; 07-29-2012 at 12:14 PM.