View Single Post
Old 07-23-2012, 03:54 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I have no doubts about his skills or his philosophy, and by the way, I was at the Corlanes booth, at Huntfest, listening to some of what he had to say. I also stopped by the BOTW store in Cody last summer while on vacation, and spoke to someone else there. But as skilled as John Porter is, his skills are of little value to the person that watches a few episodes of the show, then runs out and purchases a Huskemaw scope, expecting that the scope will suddenly provide them with the ability to as the person told me at the range "shoot pop cans at 700 yards". Some people are just very naive, and either they don't understand the skills required, or just as likely, they just want to believe that long distance shooting is really that easy, if they just buy the right equipment..
I guess the same could be said about those that watch NASCAR, UFC, Miss America or America's Got Talent. At the end of the day, there are going to be a small percentage of people that abuse technology and the vast majority are going to understand the resposibility that comes with it. We can't keep catering to the lowest common denominator or blame the actions of a few on a television series that promotes responsible long-range shooting. Okay, I guess some people can blame them but to me that seems overly naive. It's kinda like blaming the Batman movies for the tragedy in Aurora.