View Single Post
Old 04-05-2012, 12:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by millartech View Post
Man do I ever need to run into some of you on the Bow. I have been fishing it since last spring, mainly with the spin rod as I had never fly fished before. Later in the year I bought my first fly rod and started watching youtube videos for casting techniques, setting up nymph rigs, and pretty much everything I can find regarding learning to fly fish. I have been trying to get it down, but I am having no luck whatsoever. How do the majority of you set up your nymph rig? Leader length? Tippet Length? location for strike indicator and split shot? I have heard of people connecting the leader and tippet with a small swivel, is this recommended? What distance do you place between your flies?
As for the casting, I am just going to keep on trying, hopefully this year I can figure it out. I always have my spin rod with me for those days when the patience are a little thinner.
I can kinda toss dry flies, but from everything I read, nymphing is the way to go on the Bow. If I see some risers though I will try out the dry flies.
Watching youtube and doing it are different animals for sure, keep trying and you'll get it.

Leader length is typically 9 ft for me, longer if i'm using 2 or 3 flies on a line.
Distance between flies? generally a foot, maybe 14" to 16", depending on the day and how lazy i am.
When it comes to strike indicator, generall you want it at double the depth of the water - 4 ft of water, 8 ft under the indicator. it's important to have your depth correct in that you want the flies on the bottom of the river and you should see it in the indicator.
Backcast (set the hook) on every bit of movement and be sure to pull your rod up, not sideways.
split shot? I generally place it a foot or less above the top fly.

It's how I do it, doesn't mean it's correct.