Thread: Worldviews
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2012, 07:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Eastcoast, you and I have been on the same side on most points of this issue, but there are a few things in this post we are not.

Some have considered me right of Attila the Hun, and you already know I am not even remotely fundamentalist. It's not a great idea to equate conservative leanings with religious thought, and I am disgusted that especially in the U.S. that the fundamentalists have hijacked the conservative political agenda.

I am very, very mixed on the whole abortion issue. From my perspective, there are very few reasons to have one; rape and incest are certainly two, and the life of the mother being endangered. I do think life begins at conception, and having a daughter who saw the ultrasound and then miscarried, I can not see how anyone can't say that it is not a human being in the womb. Seeing the little thumbs and limbs at an early stage certainly supports that viewpoint

Others may have a different point of view.

Stem cell research, as far as I am aware, does not require an aborted fetus. My understanding is that umbilical cord stem cells can be used. If I am wrong in this, please someone correct me.

None of this is connected with thinking a 2000 year old book of stories is the meaning of all life. That still doesn't make sense to me. After all, it is in the believe in science that has allowed parents to view their fetuses in the womb, not the magical believe in something occult.
I come from the liberatarion thought side of it, when medical science has to change somthing they do because it upsets the religious right it's a bad thing, the church should have no say on what happens in a research lab,they changed stem cell research from fetuses to umbilical cords to please the extremists, what if they don't find anything in embilical cords and the cures are in the fetus? we don't know but I don't pretend to know more than somebody else because of a religious belief I have.

as far as abortion goes I am not really mixed up at all I support it, all babies should be wanted and loved I see the personal dilema that women are in but it's their body to do with as they wish, the government doies not own their body no more than they own yours or mine, and if these religious people really wanted to save fetuses they would start adopting more and let gays do the same, to me it's about control over others and telling them how to live.