Thread: Alberta Bass?
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2012, 09:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
No .... I was being a bit facetious. I have had Bass explode out of the water on me many times. I've also had sturgeon, Pike, trout and just about every species breach on a good fight.

The key point I was making is that having lived (and fished) both in the US and Canada - to say a bass is the "best" fighting fish hands down is not a completely accurate statement. Gear makes a fight - using 4lb line to wrestle a 6-7lb rainbow is alot more fun than catching a 8lb bass on 50lb braid.

That was my point. Bass are really fun to catch on light gear - but I'd be hard pressed to say they are the "holy grail" of game fish. Bass are not a game changer for us in Alberta. We would be required to manage them just like any other species of game fish.

Just my opinion. Bass in Alberta - I could take it or leave it - we have quite a good fishery considering our 9000 lakes and population versus other states and provinces who have way more water (and lakes) per capita.
I have lived and fished in both US and Canada but have never found a reason to fish Bass with 50lb braid even in South Carolina. You are right Alberta dose have a good fishery for the water ways it has to contend with. Bass would be a great addition to any fishery but so would muskie. the chances of it happening in Alberta is doubtful but always posable but until that happens I'm quit happy with what Alberta has to offer.