Thread: Alberta Bass?
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
Are you saying that bass do not break surface and become airborne unless they are yanked into the air.
No .... I was being a bit facetious. I have had Bass explode out of the water on me many times. I've also had sturgeon, Pike, trout and just about every species breach on a good fight.

The key point I was making is that having lived (and fished) both in the US and Canada - to say a bass is the "best" fighting fish hands down is not a completely accurate statement. Gear makes a fight - using 4lb line to wrestle a 6-7lb rainbow is alot more fun than catching a 8lb bass on 50lb braid.

That was my point. Bass are really fun to catch on light gear - but I'd be hard pressed to say they are the "holy grail" of game fish. Bass are not a game changer for us in Alberta. We would be required to manage them just like any other species of game fish.

Just my opinion. Bass in Alberta - I could take it or leave it - we have quite a good fishery considering our 9000 lakes and population versus other states and provinces who have way more water (and lakes) per capita.