Thread: Travers Closure
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketrout View Post
Is the desire to win a tournament by catching weakened and vulnerable fish greater than the desire to keep the fish population stable, healthy, and sustainable for years to come?

Wouldn't a spawned out fish trying to recover suffer a lot of stress on the line as well as when it's handled? Seems to me it's not just the pose for the pic that causes stress.

The key difference here between the people causing stress on the fish - the "half-wit angler-Joe" likely doesn't understand the extent the stress he's causing. I'd be willing to bet that a lot of weekend recreational fishermen don't even know when walleye spawn. Those tournament anglers with the "superior fish handling skills" do understand the stress yet still do it (regardless of how minimal you claim the stress to be).

Seems to me that as users of a resource, we should all be stewards, advocates and protectors of the resource as well. If we don't look out for it, who will?
a- to some possibly I cannot really stand to attest to every single individuals opinion in the world but I'd bet that there are some who do. like I said look at all the BS that occured at the vanity. but not to me personally
b- I would definitely tend to agree.
c- once again I do not disagree
d- this one makes me want to slap you on the back and buy you a beer.

I am in no way arguing any points that you or anyone else has brought up. I was not in anyway arguing for or against the closure in any of my posts. Nor was I trying to debate the stress levels experienced by fish being handled by average joe vs angler pro.

I was just trying to highlight a point that I believe has been over looked in that it is not so cut and dry and not so simple and I attempted to employ an example of what may be a road block. And just for clarification purposes; I was also not implying that all tournament anglers feel that way. Id bet there are some. I dono how many.

I am only trying to point out that there are probably alot more to these arguments, debates, accusations, and organizations that what is being implied in this thread