View Single Post
Old 09-28-2011, 11:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Granted...in a stocked trout pond with no inflow or outflow...suckers are not a necessary part of the food chain for trout and in fact predated upon the same food as the trout. Still...some of the fry and YOY as do minnows do add quality calories to the trout that target them.

Chain Lakes was alway reknown for the sucker population
I've never caught a sucker smaller than 6 inches actually I think I snagged a minnow once and caught a tiny trout that was smaller than the lure I was using. My Dad (and he hardly has the time left in his life to see it work) thinks they should impose either a C&R for 2 years on pothole lakes and/or closing the season long enough to allow the stockers to figure out that marshmallows and velveeta aren't the natural food source,,, and now I see his point and it would really get those sucker minnows eaten and quick. Actually here's an idea, make Chain Lakes and a few others minnow bait only, train those stockers that powerbait is not their food.

Can anyone clarify this for me, slight hi-jack,,, "Were Bull Trout introduced to Chain Lakes to curb the sucker population?" I ice-fish Chain about 3 times a year and over the past 6 years have not caught a sucker, but the trout are pretty small,,, though I find if I fish further from the bottom the size goes up considerably, and to much scorn, from a neighbouring ice fisher one year,,, how do you argue that?