Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   delete (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=287614)

-JR- 05-01-2016 09:50 AM

delete

Was going to renew my AMA road side Service plan but found out Costco sells one and its good for the whole family . And it seems to be better.

AMA 160 km per tow

SOS 250km per tow

I am a mechanic ,what I don't under stand is they will not tow it to my home so I can do the repair but to the nearest repair shop.

Can anyone recommend SOS over AMA ?

Klondike 05-01-2016 10:41 AM

I purchase AMA's RV package so that they will tow my track and trailer if the need should arise. If it wasn't for that I would switch over to the costco plan

waterninja 05-01-2016 11:15 AM

I have been an AMA member for a very long time. I"m not happy about how their membership fees have risen in the last while, but at the same time I would be leery of going to costco. I have never seen a "Costco" tow truck or service vehicle on the road. I imagine that you call a reg tow truck and costco covers the cost? Does Costco have the other services that AMA provides like opening your door after you lock yourself out, or a free battery/charging system check? Really helps at registration renewal time to be an AMA member also. Do you have to pay for the tow truck and then get reimbursed from Costco?
I am not saying that there is anything wrong with Costco, but I would really like to hear from someone who has been using them for awhile.

elkhunter11 05-01-2016 11:31 AM

Do you have any older vehicles?

From the Costco site.

Quote:

Emergency Roadside Assistance Plan * only covers vehicles that are less than 12 years old. Includes a MAXIMUM of 4 service calls a year

spirit4u 05-01-2016 12:15 PM

-JR- I think they have the policy to tow it to a repair facility of your choice and not your home as to prevent abuse of the 'free tow' for people who chose to abuse that part of the membership.
As for Costco I think they would dispatch a local tow vehicle just as AMA does if it doesn't have a designated AMA service truck in the area.

CaberTosser 05-01-2016 01:01 PM

Thankfully I've not used a tow truck for over a decade, but I'm reminded of my teens when myself and every buddy of mine had memberships because we needed them with the POS high-school cars we drove. Ahhh those were the days.... :thinking-006:

As with most roadside services they'll be contracted to local tow outfits, the same as any manufacturers roadside assistance program. My last use was perhaps 2007 for a lockout in my Power Wagon after a day of hunting and Dodge sent out a local tow company.

Deadeye2u 05-01-2016 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elkhunter11 (Post 3218049)
Do you have any older vehicles?

From the Costco site.

Quote:
Emergency Roadside Assistance Plan * only covers vehicles that are less than 12 years old. Includes a MAXIMUM of 4 service calls a year

I've got an older vehicle. Just wondering if they could be charged with age discrimination?

-JR- 05-01-2016 06:14 PM

web site says 8 not 4
and did not say anything about older than 12.

Peter Gill 05-01-2016 07:41 PM

You might find something through your bank.
I have a TD account that gets me a Visa Gold credit card and an Auto Club membership, fees for both are waived as long as I maintain a minimum $5,000 balance.

waterninja 05-02-2016 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -JR- (Post 3217972)
Was going to renew my AMA road side Service plan but found out Costco sells one and its good for the whole family . And it seems to be better.

AMA 160 km per tow

SOS 250km per tow

I am a mechanic ,what I don't under stand is they will not tow it to my home so I can do the repair but to the nearest repair shop.

Can anyone recommend SOS over AMA ?

I assume you are talking about Costco when you say they won't tow it to your home? AMA will tow to your home, or wherever you want it to be towed to.
I have always driven older vehicles, and that is why I like haveing AMA. Never know when something might happen, esp. in winter.

cowmanbob 05-02-2016 11:21 AM

I have a ford diesel that might partially responsible for ama hiking their fees.

Dark 05-02-2016 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowmanbob (Post 3219048)
I have a ford diesel that might partially responsible for ama hiking their fees.

Ya me too. My 6L ford cost AMA a few tows lol.
Never had to worry about towing until I bought the ford.
I like the AMA RV coverage covers your trailer also

Accurateshot 05-02-2016 09:15 PM

I think the Costco one is through Dominion Auto Assc, at least it used to be.