Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Morel Mushrooms (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=15418)

tap33 05-15-2008 12:36 AM

Morel Mushrooms

Has anybody been finding any morels yet???

Dmay 05-15-2008 07:40 AM

Not yet....checked last night....think the ground is still too cold up here.

In 2006 and 2007, we found the first ones on May 12.....but they're later this year I guess.

hunt_and_fish 05-15-2008 08:17 AM

mmmmm morels....I love morels.

slingshot 05-15-2008 09:01 AM

Morels

I was wondering if there are mushrooms that look like them but arent.I have seen a few that looked like them last year but was not sure so did not touch.If anyone knows a fail safe way of identifieing them it would be appreciated

Dakota369 05-15-2008 09:11 AM

Get the proper mushroon identifying book before you try and eat anything you find growing wild. There is a type of mushroom that looks very much like a morel that is poison. You should be able to get a mushroom book from any book store......

John Spartan 05-15-2008 09:38 AM

Better still to find a friend that is an experienced morel mushroom picker and invite them to go morel picking with you.

Dark Wing 05-15-2008 12:57 PM

Check out this site it will explain the difference between the edible morels and false morels. http://thegreatmorel.com/

Cabot 05-15-2008 01:24 PM

Morels,

Do they only grow in the spring? What kind of environment do they prefer or grow best. Mushroom hunting (not the magic ones) is something I've always wanted to try. This thread is giving the want to go and do it.

People seem to rave about them quite a bit. Who here has ever tasted them? Are they really that different than your average household store bought mushroom?

Cabot.

TheClash 05-15-2008 01:52 PM

if you are comparing them to your average store bought white button money's mushrooms..then yes, a world of difference....

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES 05-15-2008 04:01 PM

Ok I got a smart ***** comment here , not to put a damper on your mushroom party but how in gods green earth can you eat something that friggen ugly.Just my 2 cents.

hunt_and_fish 05-15-2008 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN (Post 148619)
Ok I got a smart ***** comment here , not to put a damper on your mushroom party but how in gods green earth can you eat something that friggen ugly.Just my 2 cents.

Johny,

The simple answer is - they taste really really good (in my opinion anyway).

The ass end of a cow (or deer, elk or moose for that matter) doesn't look too hot either but once it's prepared right, it can be pretty hard to beat. Same rule applies to morels.

Northern_Hunting_Mom 05-15-2008 04:25 PM

Chop small enough and it all looks the same.

Makes Campbell's mushroom soup taste like excrement once you've had cream of morel soup and portobello mushrooms on a steak are just not the same. They can ruin you for life. They do have a lot of flavour so it doesn't take much for a rookie palette.

Appletree 05-15-2008 06:51 PM

They are really, really worth the effort of finding them (and identifying them correctly, I've found false morels that were scarily close to the real thing). Also, I've found them in midsummer once or twice (July), but they're mostly a spring item.

Oh, by the way, the asparagus is up in the Edmonton region; my girlfriend and I picked ~1.5lbs of feral stuff within city limits on Monday.

Redfrog 05-15-2008 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slingshot (Post 148485)
I was wondering if there are mushrooms that look like them but arent.I have seen a few that looked like them last year but was not sure so did not touch.If anyone knows a fail safe way of identifieing them it would be appreciated

It's supposed to be an adventure:D what's the worst that can happen? if you get someone else to try them.?:lol:

unclebuck 05-15-2008 09:01 PM

Have you checked any recent burns? The black morels are the finest of all, found in recent wildfire burns. They are showing and the spring eating is just fine, especially with the moose and venison from the freezer!!!!!

Redfrog 05-16-2008 09:25 AM

Are they in the south/central prairie land, or only in "da bush"

TheClash 05-16-2008 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN (Post 148619)

imho pigs aren't all that nice to look at either...but they sure are tasty....mmmm bacon...

gube 05-16-2008 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redfrog (Post 148878)
Are they in the south/central prairie land, or only in "da bush"

Basically they are found in the bush close to low lying areas with lots of leaf litter. The black tops which come out a bit later and grow much larger in size can sometimes be found out in the open and along ditches. I remember my folks taking me out to pick these tender tasy morsels every spring starting back when I was about 6 years old. Talked to my Mom on Mothers day and she said they are not out yet as the ground is to cold. The time to start looking is when the poplar leaves start to show, which by looking today I'm starting to see some greenery happening. I would imagine after this hot spell on the weekend there should be a good growth spurt of these tasty shrooms.
Oh and by the way they are only around for about 2 to 3 weeks max.

Dmay 05-16-2008 10:35 AM

All mushrooms are edible.......once.

Checked some more secret spots last night...none yet.

Reeves1 05-16-2008 11:58 AM

Been picking them for about 45 years ! Yum ! I'll have to get out for a walk in the next couple days. Best places I've ever found are Poplar bushes. (symbiotic relationship )
Best to start looking soon....because when the grass starts growing in these areas, they are next to impossible to find.

Cabot 05-21-2008 03:27 PM

Hey guys!

Went out and spent last Saturday and part of Monday with my kids trying to find them Morel Mushrooms but no luck. I'm not too sure where to look for them.

Have any of you find some?

Cabot

Reeves1 05-21-2008 03:53 PM

Quote:

I'm not too sure where to look for them.
See post above.

Was going to go today.....been raining all day.
After the rain there'll be a short period of time to make a good haul....then the grass will likely be too high.
I watch the Poplar trees for when the buds start poping. Then is the time to start. By the time the leaves are fully out, the grass in these Poplar bushes tends to be tall as well. Although still out there, they become too hard to find. Unless you know areas that are densely populated with them. Each year you'll find these areas...

One more tip. Due to the physical nature of them, they hold dirt well. Take and use a knife and cut off above ground before you bag them.

The best way I like them...gently fry with a strip or two of Hickory smoked bacon !

Cabot 05-21-2008 06:19 PM

Thanks Reeves,

Raining here as well, but I'm going out after work tomorrow to retrieve some birch I cut last weekend for heating.

Happy searching!

Cabot.

FallAirFever 05-23-2008 08:51 AM

I have seen these ugly things in the bush a few times! I would have never guessed they were this great tasty treat! We used to go shrooming with my aunt and uncle years ago, but that was for red-tops and shaggy manes. I am going to have to keep my eyes open for some if I happen to be out and about after this rain stops! MMMM fresh mushrooms in garlic butter :love:

claas 05-23-2008 09:26 AM

Picked Three pails last night, they popped up in all my favorite spots.

Reeves1 05-23-2008 11:09 AM

Which part of the Province ?

claas 05-23-2008 11:11 AM

I'm in Lloydminster, I was picking them just south west of town about 20km.
Worked the wetter spots in the cow pastures, grass is short and they seem to like the extra water. Never found to many in the higher spots.

Dark Wing 05-28-2008 03:46 PM

It's a bumber crop season guys, picked a couple of ice cream buckets full of blacks in an hour.

Redfrog 05-28-2008 04:03 PM

Anyone finding puffballs? I've only found little guys. In B.C. i used to find them in the 6-10 inch diameter range.

Dr. Fish 05-28-2008 05:42 PM

So wetter/lower areas with poplar trees mixed in? Man I have been doing a ton of hiking and actually looking for shrooms but have had zero luck. Mind you this is my first season looking for them. So do I have to hit the really thick cover to find them, you know were the rabbits and bush chickens live? If there is a symbiotic relationship between the poplar trees and morels can I tell which tree is infected just by looking at it?