Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Guns & Ammo Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Broken crony (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=429396)

Irina 02-20-2024 07:34 AM

Broken crony

So shot my crony metal pole which trashed the plastic strips that are above it. Has anyone used metal rods and some kind of plastic for the top strips and got it to work? Or what else can one do if there is a fix.

Dean2 02-20-2024 07:43 AM

I use drinking straws as guides rather than the metal poles, so if you clip one it just means a new straw. I never use the metal poles or the plastic shields. If you are in the Edmonton area I probably have a spare spare rod and plastic cover. You might want to try using it with straws and without the cover just to see how you like that setup.

Irina 02-20-2024 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean2 (Post 4703020)
I use drinking straws as guides rather than the metal poles, so if you clip one it just means a new straw. I never use the metal poles or the plastic shields. If you are in the Edmonton area I probably have a spare spare rod and plastic cover. You might want to try using it with straws and without the cover just to see how you like that setup.

So you mean you just stuck the straw in and had nothing above? And it read your velocities without the plastic above?

Dean2 02-20-2024 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irina (Post 4703023)
So you mean you just stuck the straw in and had nothing above? And it read your velocities without the plastic above?

Yes, that is what I mean. I have used Chrony's this way for 40 years. Always read fine.

Irina 02-20-2024 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean2 (Post 4703026)
Yes, that is what I mean. I have used Chrony's this way for 40 years. Always read fine.

Ok, I will try this tonight!, thanks you very much for the help.

spurly 02-20-2024 08:28 AM

Chrony

I used 1/8 wooden dowels, and didn’t bother with the diffusers.

barsik 02-20-2024 08:51 AM

those strips serve as a contrast so the screens can "see" the bullet as it passes. you may get inaccurate readings when the sky is overcast or with passing clouds without those strips. you might try coloring the bullets with a black felt marker so the screens can see them easier.

FishOutOfWater 02-20-2024 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean2 (Post 4703026)

What's the purpose of using straws and no sun shade ? Why even bother with the straws then ?

:confused0024:

bat119 02-20-2024 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FishOutOfWater (Post 4703121)
What's the purpose of using straws and no sun shade ? Why even bother with the straws then ?

:confused0024:

Easier to center your shot,
I found it worked best on cloudy days, had mixed results with direct sun on the sensors , when the sun was low I leaned some cardboard against the dowels to keep the sensors in the shade.

wildrose 02-20-2024 02:31 PM

Chrony

Give a call to Shooting Chrony INC at 1-800-385-3161 you should be able to order your required parts.
I found them great to deal with when I needed parts.

Smokinyotes 02-20-2024 02:56 PM

Your in luck. I just happen to have a Labradar looking for a new home.

LeroyvdH 02-20-2024 03:01 PM

Friend of mine used pieces of diffuser form a old fluorescent light. Everybody knows somebody who knows a electrician. if you are shooting bows inside

Irina 02-20-2024 03:56 PM

Thanks to everyone. I just tested it with a 22 and it works better than it did with the plastic above. It would read about 1 every 15 shots. Now it works good, I should have shot it years ago.

Dick284 02-20-2024 05:03 PM

My original F1 Chrony, came with the cardboard diffusers.

After all sorts of jacking around and Jerry rigging solutions that didn’t really last, it was member Bushrat, who suggested using used windshield washer jugs as diffusers.

I still have my old F1, and use it occasionally to see how it stacks up against the Magnetospeed(sold off) and the LabRadar. The WW jug shields/diffusers still work great.

Irina 02-20-2024 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick284 (Post 4703174)
My original F1 Chrony, came with the cardboard diffusers.

After all sorts of jacking around and Jerry rigging solutions that didn’t really last, it was member Bushrat, who suggested using used windshield washer jugs as diffusers.

I still have my old F1, and use it occasionally to see how it stacks up against the Magnetospeed(sold off) and the LabRadar. The WW jug shields/diffusers still work great.

Will rig this up as well! Thanks

Grizzly Adams1 02-20-2024 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildrose (Post 4703135)
Give a call to Shooting Chrony INC at 1-800-385-3161 you should be able to order your required parts.
I found them great to deal with when I needed parts.

I thought they went out of business ?

Dean2 02-20-2024 05:57 PM

Grizz is right, Chrony is out of business.

As far as diffusers, cloud or indirect sun, no diffuser needed, the rig reads bullets just fine. Only time i ever needed the diffusers was 17 caliber bullets travelling 4200 fps with bright clear skies and the sun almost directly overhead. Other than that, the chrony reads better and more consistently without the diffusers in place. Chrony is still a REALLY competent chronograph for very little money. If you have a laser bore sighter use it when setting up the Chrony, it makes setting them up WAY easier. Put your rifle in your rest and point your rifle at the target down range with the crosshiars on the bullseye, put the laser in the barrel, use where it lands on you while facing the rifle to align the chrono to the bullet path.

Irina, glad it worked out well for you. Guy can always learn stuff on here. It is amazing the amount of accumulated knowledge on AO.

JBE 02-20-2024 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irina (Post 4703156)
Thanks to everyone. I just tested it with a 22 and it works better than it did with the plastic above. It would read about 1 every 15 shots. Now it works good, I should have shot it years ago.

Awesome, your last sentence gave me a good laugh

Dmay 02-20-2024 07:40 PM

Dean.....did you every have trouble shooting over snow on a sunny day? I remember running into that back in the day. The solution was to lay a blue (or any color I guess) tarp down under the tripod. Come to think.....maybe that was using diffusers too....can't recall.

Pathfinder76 02-20-2024 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokinyotes (Post 4703143)
Your in luck. I just happen to have a Labradar looking for a new home.

lol.

6.5 shooter 02-20-2024 09:34 PM

Just buy a Garmin!

Dean2 02-21-2024 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dmay (Post 4703206)
Dean.....did you every have trouble shooting over snow on a sunny day? I remember running into that back in the day. The solution was to lay a blue (or any color I guess) tarp down under the tripod. Come to think.....maybe that was using diffusers too....can't recall.

Bright sun and light reflected from snow can be an issue, but diffusers don't solve this. Like I said earlier, the sky screens see the bullet or at least its shadow as it passes over them. We used a 1/4" sheet of plywood 2' by 4' to make a flat stable base to setup the tripod on snow. Kept the reflection down too. Never thought of using a tarp,should work good as long as you can get the tripod stable on it.

Pathfinder76 02-21-2024 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter (Post 4703234)
Just buy a Garmin!

No tarps, plywood, diffusers, cardboard straws or sun required. Batteries included. :-)

https://i.imgur.com/sQyxvPN.jpg

Dean2 02-21-2024 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 (Post 4703253)
No tarps, plywood, diffusers, cardboard straws or sun required. Batteries included. :-)

https://i.imgur.com/sQyxvPN.jpg

Yes, but 800 bucks versus 80 bucks. For a lot of guys, they don't use a Chronograph often enough to warrant laying out $800 bucks, or that is just out of their price range. Good news for guys on a budget, used magneto speeds and Labradar are REALLY cheap now, as are used Chronys.

I had a Labradar a few years back, that I re-sold because it wasn't worth the cost for the performance. I wonder if Labradar's customer service got any better since they now have lots of competition, I know it sucked big time when I had mine. I have heard so much good stuff about the Garmin I am going to get one to try.

elkhunter11 02-21-2024 08:47 AM

I went to Magnetospeed to eliminate errors due to light conditions, and to simplify setup, but if I was buying a chronograph now, it would a Garmin. However, I don't use one enough these days, to justify buying a new one.

ruger300 02-21-2024 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elkhunter11 (Post 4703298)
I went to Magnetospeed to eliminate errors due to light conditions, and to simplify setup, but if I was buying a chronograph now, it would a Garmin. However, I don't use one enough these days, to justify buying a new one.

I had a magnetospeed and I still went with a new garmin. So simple to set up, makes the magnetospeed setup a big pain. Tested the two together when I got my Garmin. Test almost didn’t happen when I got mad at the bayonet buckle not wanting to tighten up around the barrel. Probably use it every time I shoot at my range now to verify velocity.

elkhunter11 02-21-2024 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruger300 (Post 4703347)
I had a magnetospeed and I still went with a new garmin. So simple to set up, makes the magnetospeed setup a big pain. Tested the two together when I got my Garmin. Test almost didn’t happen when I got mad at the bayonet buckle not wanting to tighten up around the barrel. Probably use it every time I shoot at my range now to verify velocity.

I actually had no issues with the Magnetospeed, but I have heard complaints about the Sporter version.

ruger300 02-21-2024 11:49 AM

Yeah, that’s the model I had. Barrel strap would always loosen off it seemed. Always afraid of a bullet strike on the bayonet at the end of the barrel. No more worries about shooting anything now other than the target down range.

6.5 shooter 02-21-2024 10:33 PM

$800 bucks does seem like a lot. But if you divide that by 10 years that is $80. dollars a year or $6.67 bucks a month or ..... You get the idea! Good tools do cost more money up front but they pay off down the road.