Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Guns & Ammo Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Optics who offer BT turrets (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=358442)

mathews z7 01-27-2019 08:29 AM

Optics who offer BT turrets

Hello looking for help on who else offers a scope wth single crosshair and can get ballistic turrets , besides Swarovski , Zeiss. I have a Swarovski now but want to buy some other brands in the 1200 dollar range if possible . Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mountainaccent 01-27-2019 08:32 AM

bushnell vortex Leupold

SakoShooter 01-27-2019 10:50 AM

Leupold VX5HD with ZL2 turret. Though the prices jave just gone up by $300 or more, so find an in stoxk one at the older pricing (shouldn't be much more than $1,200 for 3-15×42)

At the new $1,500 price tag it's not quite as much a slam dunk, but the ZL2 turret is low profile, and very nicely thought out.

I have a couple of Leica ERi's with locking turrets, but they're a discontinued item so probably hard to find. I would recommend them over anything else sub $2k though.

Kurt505 01-27-2019 10:57 AM

Nightforce SHV

SakoShooter 01-27-2019 11:10 AM

Which Nightforce SHV models offer an exposes elevation turret? All that I've seen are capped hunting turrets, but maybe they've updated the line?

At any rate, the SHV is not a USA Nightforce, but a contracted out asian scope. Not sure if that matters, and over never used one, but it's possible that you're paying for name with the SHV?

Don't get me wrong, never having used one, I'm not saying anything bad about it, just that it's the only NF line that's built in asia under contract afaik.

Kurt505 01-27-2019 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SakoShooter (Post 3920276)
Which Nightforce SHV models offer an exposes elevation turret? All that I've seen are capped hunting turrets, but maybe they've updated the line?

At any rate, the SHV is not a USA Nightforce, but a contracted out asian scope. Not sure if that matters, and over never used one, but it's possible that you're paying for name with the SHV?

Don't get me wrong, never having used one, I'm not saying anything bad about it, just that it's the only NF line that's built in asia under contract afaik.

If it’s made by Light Optical Works, or LOW Japan, they make some of the finest scopes in the world. The mechanical parts in the SHV line from what I understand are on par with the NSX line, the glass is better on the NSX. I’m no expert when it comes to Nightforce, I’ve never owned one, but I’ve heard they are one of the best on the market as far as the dependability of their tracking in all models.

RapStaff 01-27-2019 03:16 PM

Aftermarket.

Check out Kenton Industries website. They build custom turrets for a variety of manufacturers and models.

Kurt505 01-27-2019 04:02 PM

It’s not just a matter of getting turrets made, if you want to be doing a lot of dialing you hadbetter make sure the scope you choose has a proven track record for, well, tracking.

There are several scope manufactures, some of them high end that offer models with turrets that don’t necessarily track consistently. Do your homework to find the models that keep a dependable track record. This is the reason I recommend the Nightforce SHV line. If weight is an important part of the equation I think you’ll have to spend a little more money.

Quest206 01-27-2019 05:46 PM

BT turrets

Sig Sauer offers free turret with new scope purchase ...

FREE CUSTOM SBT™ WITH EVERY TANGO PURCHASE.

SakoShooter 01-27-2019 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurt505 (Post 3920320)
If it’s made by Light Optical Works, or LOW Japan, they make some of the finest scopes in the world. The mechanical parts in the SHV line from what I understand are on par with the NSX line, the glass is better on the NSX. I’m no expert when it comes to Nightforce, I’ve never owned one, but I’ve heard they are one of the best on the market as far as the dependability of their tracking in all models.

Good to know. It seems only the 5-20 power comes with a turret option.

Kurt505 01-27-2019 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SakoShooter (Post 3920503)
Good to know. It seems only the 5-20 power comes with a turret option.

The 4-16x50 comes in exposed turrets as well, and if I’m not mistaken I think I read that you can get an exposed turret on the 3-10x42 as well.

Beeman3 01-28-2019 07:04 AM

I have a couple SHV but both have covered turrets. For me it's not a big deal. If sitting on a cut line I just remove the elevation turret cap. But normally in a hunting situation I will just hold using the reticle (MOAR). As far as the glass, I can't really see a difference from the SHV to my NXS. The NXS has far superior turrets obviously but for the Money the SHV has been a good scope. For dialing and shooting steel I would actually prefer my SHV over my Z5 with BT. But as Kurt said if weight is a factor then you may need to pay more. I went Z5 because of weight on that particular gun.

WhiteTailAB 01-29-2019 02:28 PM

Cabelas south Edmonton had a 3-10x42 shv moar in the bargain cave. Display model with box. Mint. I left the store with it all in $897 bahahaha

SakoShooter 01-29-2019 02:57 PM

Does it have an exposed elevation turret?

Kurt505 01-29-2019 03:22 PM

Here’s a 4-14 with exposed turrets

https://i.imgur.com/t9x6q4e.jpg

Smokinyotes 01-29-2019 03:25 PM

I could be wrong but I think the NF SHV ffp have exposed turrets and the sfp are capped. Myself if I was using an SHV for hunting I would prefer a scope with capped turrets and MOAR reticle and just build a drop chart out to however far you plan on shooting.

SakoShooter 01-29-2019 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurt505 (Post 3921680)
Here’s a 4-14 with exposed turrets

https://i.imgur.com/t9x6q4e.jpg

I was asking about the one he picked up from the bargain cave at Cabela's. I go in there fairly often and don't remember seeing an SHV with BT.

WhiteTailAB 01-29-2019 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SakoShooter (Post 3921667)
Does it have an exposed elevation turret?

No but it has the moa reticle

kingrat 01-29-2019 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RapStaff (Post 3920426)
Check out Kenton Industries website. They build custom turrets for a variety of manufacturers and models.

X2 built one for my Nikon monarch 3 270wsm and it's dead on out to 600.