Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   No offence...but.. (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=21017)

Bogman10 10-11-2008 09:25 PM

No offence...but..

I hate Quads!!!!! Every stinking cut line I was either trying to make a stock, or sitting in my blind, who do I see chugging down the Cut?? Quads!!! It's like I was swarmed!! They were hunters too, not Rec. SSSSSSSSSSooooooo frustrating, what I guess because I don't have a quad, I should have to just Drive all over the Country hopping to stumble into a deer, like all the road hunters ( not judging, just not what I prefer)?
If I see another truck at the beginning of a Cut I was going to take, I move on, lots of room to share.
So disgusted, I just came home. Guess I will have to burn a Vacation day to enjoy the woods without quaders burning down every cutline and trail without any regards for anybody else.
Rant over.

ABDUKNUT 10-11-2008 09:38 PM

No offense taken whatsoever... I hate 'em too.

Versatile 10-11-2008 09:48 PM

Yup thats why I hunt on weekdays and try to work on weekends this time of the year.

Tuc 10-11-2008 11:26 PM

Don't hate the quad, hate the driver.

Duk Dog 10-11-2008 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuc (Post 196098)

Bingo.

buckmaster 10-12-2008 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RyanGSP (Post 196058)
Yup thats why I hunt on weekdays and try to work on weekends this time of the year.

Exactly what i do every year and love it!!!

Alberta Bigbore 10-12-2008 12:44 AM

Quote:

300 wsm 10-12-2008 01:02 AM

this is why i hunt weekdays and work weekends too many weekend warriors but you have to respect everyone in the outdoors cause they have the right too be out in the bush too if u dont want to be disturbed go out further less of a chance too run into someone but ive seen people ridin in the alpine which i think should be illegal

TreeGuy 10-12-2008 01:14 AM

To keep it short.............

I've had hunts ruined by quadders, and I've probably wrecked hunts for others while quadding.

If you do not want quads to negatively affect your hunt, then perhaps set yourself up at a distance greater than 50 yards from a quadable trail. Maybe I'm over simplfying, maybe I'm not.:innocent:

Tree

BrownBear416 10-12-2008 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TreeGuy (Post 196131)

I've had hunts ruined by quadders, and I've probably wrecked hunts for others while quadding.

If you do not want quads to negatively affect your hunt, then perhaps set yourself up at a distance greater than 50 yards from a quadable trail. Maybe I'm over simplfying, maybe I'm not.:innocent:

Tree

My thoughts exactly.:)

I hunted Spirit River this year for 3 weeks.Hiked an average of 5 km a day for 21 days and never ran into one quad.

Albertahog 10-12-2008 07:38 AM

Qaud's

Quote:

I guess that means everyone on a quad :confused:come on its a big world move on or stay put you choose.:wave:
:wave:

sparky660 10-12-2008 07:46 AM

Quote:

Tree

I agree 100%.

redneck posse 10-12-2008 09:39 AM

what ever happened to common courtesy?? my dad and uncle taught me that when hunting if you came across someone camped, or parked in or on a cut line to leave that area and hunt somewheres else. so you didn't interfere with the other guys hunt.. people now just don't seem to have the respect for there fellow hunters anymore .. sad

Bogman10 10-12-2008 10:19 AM

Quote:

Tree

So... Because I don't have a quad, I have hike 5-10 km into the bush , then drag my game that far back, because quaders can't show any respect for fellow hunters....Hmmmm, seems fair!
By the way I am much more then 50 yds away from my truck, how for are Quaders away from the machines? 0 .

Bogman10 10-12-2008 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redneck posse (Post 196203)
what ever happened to common courtesy?? my dad and uncle taught me that when hunting if you came across someone camped, or parked in or on a cut line to leave that area and hunt somewheres else. so you didn't interfere with the other guys hunt.. people now just don't seem to have the respect for there fellow hunters anymore .. sad

Amen brother!

Jester 10-12-2008 10:26 AM

This is what I think of quads..

http://euroross.blogspot.com/Happy%20Sad.jpg

They can be a blessing and they can be a curse..

7 REM MAG 10-12-2008 10:58 AM

tree didnt say 50m from your truck he said more than 50m from a quad trail, and yes i cant stand people ripping down cuts but when hunting a heavily quaded area i get away from trails

Walleyes 10-12-2008 11:32 AM

Courtesy is what its about and has nothing to do with a quad. I experienced much of the same while hunting Elk in 400 a few years back and well we solved it,,, just don't go hunt there any more. People have to learn that if you see evidence of someone hunting on a line or a clearing just don't go there,, plain and simple.

Just a question when you were sitting on these lines did you leave any sign to in coming hunters that you were there or did you just expect that most people have E.S.P. ???

I get a kick out of these posts every year,, people hunt an hour out of the city then complain about the amount of hunters,, lololo.. Do you want to get away from the hunters well,,, get away from the hunters !!!!

The Rog Man 10-12-2008 11:45 AM

I used to be mad at quadders aswell, probably more jealous than mad but a couple a years ago i had some knee issues that would have ended my hunting activities unless i got a quad. because of the quad i can still get out and hunt.
It is public land after all and you have to share it with the public.
Quadders have just as much right to be out there as you do.
Betchya don't mind quads when you down a moose and a quadder offers to pull it back to your truck for ya??.
Lots of good suggestions made, if on foot hunt the forest not the beaten down quad trails if the quads bother you that much or go buy a quad and join the party my 2 bitts werth.

pdfish 10-12-2008 11:45 AM

OK, this is my take on it. There are a lot of quad trails/cutlines in the area I hunt. Obviously, if someone was parked at the start of trail, I would look elsewhere but when that trail branches off in 5 or 6 different directions who's to say that someone on a quad didn't start from an entirely different location and end up where you were?

Now I for one don't necessarily believe in riding around on a quad all day looking for something to shoot. That's a lot like road-hunting (which I have no problem with if done ethically) I personally use a Quad to get into an area to hunt, not to hunt off of.

Get off the quad trail, with a little searching chances are you can find some better areas that are a little more secluded.

raised by wolves 10-12-2008 11:51 AM

I was up on the mountain above Nordegg spotting the clearings below. All that could be seen or heard were quads ripping up the trails. I put the glass on the riders and they all had rifles slung across their backs. It looked as though they were chatting back and forth on handsets, trying to ambush some deer. They did not have any luck. Unfortunately, neither did I. Too much noise. I know there are many responsible hunters that employ the use of quads, but I would love to see a few more legal controls while hunting.

BIG AL 10-12-2008 11:52 AM

A few years ago we were going to make a mile long push in a creek valley. Where I was going to start my position of the push there was a truck parked in a near by approach. The vehicle looked like it may have spent the night as it was still covered in frost. I checked for footprints in the crusted snow to see which direction the owner went, as I did not want to spoil his hunt, and didn't see any. I thought someones truck must have broken down during the evening and he got picked up by someone. I decided to continue with the push. As I was getting close to the end of the first bush I came upon a hunter sitting in the bush. He was waited for deer to hopefully come through. He was not happy with me. I explained I did my best not to spoil anyones hunt and that I did not see any footprints heading into this bush. He showed me that he was not wearing any boots, just a few layers of heavy socks. Explaining why I did not see any boot prints in the hard crusted snow. I apologized again, but you could tell that it was unexcepted. He was pis#ed. But who was at wrong. There is usually fault on both sides of most stories.

DJS 10-12-2008 11:53 AM

This is a very good topic. Although I own couple of these things I think that quads are by far the worst thing that has ever happened as far as ruining the outdoors. There are not too many "secret spots" any more as guads have opened everything up. And not only opened everything up but tore alot of the country side to sh*t in most places. I know this isn't the fault of hunters in most cases but it is still very frustrating.

TreeGuy 10-12-2008 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogman10 (Post 196222)
So... Because I don't have a quad, I have hike 5-10 km into the bush , then drag my game that far back, because quaders can't show any respect for fellow hunters....Hmmmm, seems fair!
By the way I am much more then 50 yds away from my truck, how for are Quaders away from the machines? 0 .

Bogman, I have managed to kill lots of game in places where there lots of quads. In my experiences, so long as you're at least 300 yards in from the trail you'll be fine. Also, if you want to bitch about dragging something out then maybe you shouldn't be hunting big game. Sheeze.

Tree

Redfrog 10-12-2008 12:48 PM

I avoid areas with heavy ATV use, but I'm don't think I'm the only one with a right to hunt an open area.

Years ago i was waliking on n an unused two track. I had been walking/hunting for an hour or so when I heard a quad coming my way.

I stepped into the bush a few yards and he went by and didn't realize I was even there. I waited a few minutes till I couldn't hear him anymore and stepped out of the bush. As I did a bull moose crossed the trail a hundred or so yards away. I shot the moose and as I was field dressing it. The quad hunter came back. we spoke for a few minutes and I told him I had seen him come in. He laughed that he had not seen me.
He then helped me dress the moose and haul it back to my truck.

I think we do need more common sense and courtesy, but I also think we need to lose the holier than thou attitudes that we sometimes show.

We have more people using our resources every year. And most of them don't hunt. We better learn to share and play nice or it will get tougher to find areas to hunt.
That is already the case near any large city. Where I live it is possible to go hunting for a hour or two closeby, without ever seeing another hunter, but that isn't the case everywhere.

Bogman10 10-12-2008 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walleyes (Post 196258)
Courtesy is what its about and has nothing to do with a quad. I experienced much of the same while hunting Elk in 400 a few years back and well we solved it,,, just don't go hunt there any more. People have to learn that if you see evidence of someone hunting on a line or a clearing just don't go there,, plain and simple.

Just a question when you were sitting on these lines did you leave any sign to in coming hunters that you were there or did you just expect that most people have E.S.P. ???

I get a kick out of these posts every year,, people hunt an hour out of the city then complain about the amount of hunters,, lololo.. Do you want to get away from the hunters well,,, get away from the hunters !!!!

I think my truck at the end of the cutline's was a pretty big give away. One guy, drove down one cut I was on, so I moved on 2 minutes later the exact same guy drives in on me again!!!

Cooeylover 10-12-2008 01:13 PM

A sure fire way to get away from all the quads is to get an argo with the rubber tracks!! Was in a great area a couple of weeks ago. Went back in on a thursday and came out after the weekend. At the first really bad bog hole, was where all the quads stopped. My buddy had to pull me in with his argo, was no possible way to get back in there with my quad alone. I know its kinda a bit of an expensive way to go, but man i tell you what, they are the trick!!!! :wave:

Cooeylover 10-12-2008 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redfrog (Post 196307)
I think we do need more common sense and courtesy, but I also think we need to lose the holier than thou attitudes that we sometimes show.

^X2^ The only problem with that is, that there is getting to be fewer and fewer with common sence and courtesy any more.:(

geezer55 10-12-2008 01:22 PM

If hunting in 400/402 the quad trails are clearly marked, if you want to set up on them it is your own fault that they are coming by and spoiling your hunt. If they are off designated trails take their licence number and report them. I hunt, I quad . . . the bush is for all of us to use.

Just because I park vehicle at the head of a cutline I do not consider the entire cutline my exclusive hunting area, I may be 1 km into the bush or I may be 10 kms why should I consider the entire cutline my hunting area. Also thanks to those that think the same way I do . . . they move game up to where I am.

Walleyes 10-12-2008 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogman10 (Post 196320)
I think my truck at the end of the cutline's was a pretty big give away. One guy, drove down one cut I was on, so I moved on 2 minutes later the exact same guy drives in on me again!!!

Yes you are right bogman that your truck should of been sign enough to these people. But again I think quad or not that these type of hunters are inconsiderate its just that with a quad thet can cover more ground and be inconsiderate to more people in a day. My point is that quad or not some people are just jerks. As all can tell I use a quad quite extensivly while hunting to me they are just another tool to use and used properly they are a very efective tool. But you guys are right they can be a pain but so is a gun in an idiots hands...

Again an idiot is an idiot quad or no quad,, its not the quad that makes him so its just the way some people are...