Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Southern Reservoirs now open! (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=429865)

roper1 03-08-2024 07:40 PM

Southern Reservoirs now open!

May 8 we can wet a line, can't wait. Been playing with the gear for a week, wandering by the hooks in the local CT. Might have to hit the Fishing Hole for nothing I need but want:)

Should be able to test run the boat by May 1.

Have fun, play safe!

H380 03-08-2024 08:04 PM

Will be interesting to see if there is enough water to do so in a couple of them ...let's hope it happens .[emoji1696]

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

TROLLER 03-09-2024 08:07 AM

My biggest concern is there will not be enough water to launch in any of the southern reservoirs.

Based on the low low levels this past fall unless we get some serious snow and rain I'll have t o consider buying a inflatable or changing all my fishn spots to the north

Lets hope for the best

Big Sky 03-09-2024 09:10 AM

I'm hopeful that there will be enough water in most of the reservoirs to launch a boat when the season opens. The ones that I fish managed to make some gains in the fall, so hopefully they will be able to add to it with runoff.

The question is, will there be enough water towards the end of the season?
Fingers crossed.

DiabeticKripple 03-09-2024 11:35 AM

There will be lots of water to fish at the beginning of the year, it’s the August/September months that may be hard to find water.

roper1 04-03-2024 08:09 PM

Four weeks today we can take the boat for a rip!:sHa_shakeshout:

-JR- 04-07-2024 01:18 PM

Any open water down south (April 7) ?

npauls 04-07-2024 01:55 PM

Some of the shallow sloughs are opening up but the bigger lakes seem to be ice covered for the most part still. That should change this coming week with forecasts calling for double digit + weather all week the last time I looked.

Dale S 04-07-2024 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -JR- (Post 4715051)
Any open water down south (April 7) ?

Yes

Poppa 04-08-2024 04:01 PM

Need lots of rain (both for the moisture and to break up the ice) and some wind wouldn't hurt either. But man... I hadn't thought that it's only a month away! Wooooooo!!

Big Sky 04-09-2024 11:16 AM

Hoping for lots of water in the reservoirs this season. I took a look at the snow pack at each of the monitoring stations that are on the Alberta river flows website. The first station is in Waterton Park and they work their way north.

My conclusion....we need lots of rain.

Akamina Pass down 25% from last year

Gardiner Creek up 10% from last year. Snow pack is at middle of average range

South Racehorse about equal to last year. Snow pack is at low end of average range.

Lost Creek about equal to last year. Snow pace is at low end of average range.

Mount Odlum down about 10% from last year. Snow pack is at low end of average range.

Three Isle Lake about equal to last year. Snow pack is at low end of average range.

Little Elbow up about 10% from last year. Snow pack is at middle of average range.

Sunshine Village about equal to last year. Snow pack is below average range.

Screenshot of the chart for Sunshine Village. The red line is last year's snow pack. The blue line is this year's. The greyish region represents the average range.

https://i.postimg.cc/1RCYRX9K/sunshine-snowpack.jpg

DiabeticKripple 04-09-2024 08:14 PM

Travers is now ice free.

graybeard 04-10-2024 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roper1 (Post 4714197)
Four weeks today we can take the boat for a rip!:sHa_shakeshout:

Roper:
Any idea how the ice at Newell or CVR is: have you been out at all to see?
It must be coming off fast.
Thanks

roper1 04-10-2024 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graybeard (Post 4715641)
Roper:
Any idea how the ice at Newell or CVR is: have you been out at all to see?
It must be coming off fast.
Thanks

I haven't been out there, but usually ice until 3rd week of April. Might try a rip out that way see what's up

AK47 04-12-2024 10:36 AM

Crap just noted they changed Twin valley reservoir regulations - used to be open all year before. I was hoping to open boating season before May 8th. I guess Pine coulee or Ghost are other options?

TROLLER 04-12-2024 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AK47 (Post 4716036)
Crap just noted they changed Twin valley reservoir regulations - used to be open all year before. I was hoping to open boating season before May 8th. I guess Pine coulee or Ghost are other options?

Unless they start dumping water into Pine dont waste the gas. Ghost may be a better spot.

Wes_G 04-12-2024 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Sky (Post 4715414)
Hoping for lots of water in the reservoirs this season. I took a look at the snow pack at each of the monitoring stations that are on the Alberta river flows website. The first station is in Waterton Park and they work their way north.

My conclusion....we need lots of rain.

Akamina Pass down 25% from last year

Gardiner Creek up 10% from last year. Snow pack is at middle of average range

South Racehorse about equal to last year. Snow pack is at low end of average range.

Lost Creek about equal to last year. Snow pace is at low end of average range.

Mount Odlum down about 10% from last year. Snow pack is at low end of average range.

Three Isle Lake about equal to last year. Snow pack is at low end of average range.

Little Elbow up about 10% from last year. Snow pack is at middle of average range.

Sunshine Village about equal to last year. Snow pack is below average range.

Screenshot of the chart for Sunshine Village. The red line is last year's snow pack. The blue line is this year's. The greyish region represents the average range.

https://i.postimg.cc/1RCYRX9K/sunshine-snowpack.jpg

And last year snow pack was below average as it was. I know St. Mary's never filled last year as we had little spring rain. Will be an interesting year!

roper1 04-14-2024 06:38 PM

Took a little run to Crawling Valley this aft. Little open water around the edges but pretty much ice-covered. Few days yet, we need a big wind.

On to the bad news, reservoir looks down 3-4 feet. They're doing a bunch of work on the east end so it might be low by design. 5 Hyhoes, 4 big rock trucks, a D8, couple skid-steers & a packer.

Wouldn't be able to get a boat into the far eastern bay unless you portaged it:scared0018:

AK47 04-16-2024 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TROLLER (Post 4716088)
Unless they start dumping water into Pine dont waste the gas. Ghost may be a better spot.

Lets hope it goes up a bit. Ghost is nice to boat around but I am not that great at catching trout, Pine coulee is pretty much guaranteed to catch little walleye and odd pike.

H380 04-17-2024 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wes_G (Post 4716131)
And last year snow pack was below average as it was. I know St. Mary's never filled last year as we had little spring rain. Will be an interesting year!

Heads up ,it's not gonna fill this year either ...from snowpack reports it looks like it will be a river instead of a reservoir again this year ..

TROLLER 04-18-2024 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roper1 (Post 4716468)
Took a little run to Crawling Valley this aft. Little open water around the edges but pretty much ice-covered. Few days yet, we need a big wind.

On to the bad news, reservoir looks down 3-4 feet. They're doing a bunch of work on the east end so it might be low by design. 5 Hyhoes, 4 big rock trucks, a D8, couple skid-steers & a packer.

Wouldn't be able to get a boat into the far eastern bay unless you portaged it:scared0018:

Think you will be able to launch come the 8th? I know there is a walleye tourny arond the 16th

Big Sky 04-18-2024 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TROLLER (Post 4717547)
I know there is a walleye tourny arond the 16th

https://i.postimg.cc/qvVrCyDT/deadhorse-lake.jpg

I'm looking forward to seeing the results from Deadhorse.

roper1 04-18-2024 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TROLLER (Post 4717547)
Think you will be able to launch come the 8th? I know there is a walleye tourny arond the 16th

Not sure, the campground gate was closed. Been windier than 1/2 dozen of my buddies around a campfire:), ice might be gone. There will be absolutely no run-off, & they're beefing up the outflow canal:scared0018:

f2eight 04-23-2024 05:49 PM

FYI, CVR is at 87.76% capacity and it has increased by about 2% since the 19th. It's looking promising.

roper1 04-23-2024 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by f2eight (Post 4718824)
FYI, CVR is at 87.76% capacity and it has increased by about 2% since the 19th. It's looking promising.

Good info. Thanks!

Big Sky 04-24-2024 12:01 AM

Newell is almost full.
McGregor is filling and about 84% full
Travers holding steady at about 59% for the last week or so

St Mary's is filling and at 39%
Most of the reservoirs in SMRID are not showing any info.

Lethbridge, Med Hat and Calgary have quite a bit of rain in the forecast for next week. Fingers crossed.

I’d rather be outdoors 04-24-2024 06:42 PM

Non stop alarmism does grow tiring doesn’t it? Emergency this, crisis that, restrict everything, tax what’s left, the sky is falling…

Things are going to be just fine.

roper1 04-24-2024 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I’d rather be outdoors (Post 4719101)
Non stop alarmism does grow tiring doesn’t it? Emergency this, crisis that, restrict everything, tax what’s left, the sky is falling…

Things are going to be just fine.

Ummm, I dunno, just a few fisherman sharing good news & the bad. Last year, the bad was real, some fishing spots were unavailable. Sky not falling as some of the reports are showing, but certainly more moisture needed. As the Op stated, he was very excited for the open. Take care!

H380 04-24-2024 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roper1 (Post 4719116)
Ummm, I dunno, just a few fisherman sharing good news & the bad. Last year, the bad was real, some fishing spots were unavailable. Sky not falling as some of the reports are showing, but certainly more moisture needed. As the Op stated, he was very excited for the open. Take care!

Exactly ...I don't like to dwell on the negative either, I just know that St.Marys is gonna have a hard time filling cause they are dumping water east already and the lake is no where near full ...hope and pray we get some rain and things return somewhat to normal .

pikergolf 04-25-2024 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H380 (Post 4719134)
Exactly ...I don't like to dwell on the negative either, I just know that St.Marys is gonna have a hard time filling cause they are dumping water east already and the lake is no where near full ...hope and pray we get some rain and things return somewhat to normal .

I just heard from some that lives there that 40 mile will not be getting any water this year, it is already down around 12'. :(