Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Trapping Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Tundra 550 problems? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=337090)

Bushleague 01-11-2018 05:37 PM

Tundra 550 problems?

I started partnering on a line in the Swan Hills this year and just bought the first sled I've owned since I was a teenager. I was able to find a Tundra 550 with less than 500 miles on it for a good price. I like the power and how it handles steep climbs and deep snow, being a Tundra I figured it would be bullet proof. I had it out in -25 this week and it was acting up on me a bit. The RER was being finicky and once in awhile my gauges would start acting crazy, usually at an idle. I started poking around under the hood and everything seemed a lot more complicated than the borrowed Bravo I've been using. I got worried and headed for home, once it warms up I will see if the problems persist.

So who has run one of these sleds for any amount of time and how did they work for you? To be honest, after contemplating the possibility of a long walk in this week's weather I'm almost tempted to just sell it and go back to wrestling with a Bravo.

nube 01-11-2018 05:59 PM

You might be better off asking on Dootalk.com

Bushleague 01-11-2018 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nube (Post 3707205)
You might be better off asking on Dootalk.com

I did some research and have it narrowed down to a couple components at this point. I guess I'm asking whether I can expect trouble free service out of this machine in the future or not. Interested to hear from those who have run this sled. Having gotten off to a bit of a rough start with it, I guess I'm just wondering if I want to trust this thing in the bush or not.

Camdec 01-11-2018 10:35 PM

2 cylinders equals twice as many problems in my opinion. I'm no mechanic, but I do know the more moving parts the more likelihood of a problem. Tough to argue with a reliable machine like a bravo. I have no experience with a Tundra though.

Sledin 01-12-2018 08:27 AM

This could be as simple as a bad spark plug, have you changed them?
Sometimes a sled also needs a good rip to carbon out the engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bushleague 01-12-2018 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sledin (Post 3707556)
This could be as simple as a bad spark plug, have you changed them?
Sometimes a sled also needs a good rip to carbon out the engine.

I'm going to get some new plugs today and try them. My Tundra is a 2012 and it had less than 450 miles on it when I bought it, so I do think that maybe it might smarten up with regular use.

Drewski Canuck 01-12-2018 08:49 AM

Analog or digital Guages??

Not familiar with the year of sled. Is it analog or digital gauges?

As for the RER, the whole idea is that the engine slows down, the engine "shuts off", and the timing reverses and the engine fires back up in reverse.

If you are saying the sled idles fine, and it is just electrical, that is one thing. If you are saying the sled sputters and dies and can't keep idling, that's another thing.

We need some more information to help you here.

Drewski

Sledin 01-12-2018 09:10 AM

The plugs should fix it. A couple other things to look at is checking the compression (should be 120psi+ and fairly equal). And make sure the carbs are clean, varnish can build if it's been sitting.

It should be a good sled.

Pheasinator 01-12-2018 09:37 AM

sounds like a typical 550F to me, they don't like high octane fuel so don't run premium for starters. Fill it up with fresh fuel and run a bottle of Sea Foam through it.

gtr 01-12-2018 11:44 AM

If it is running at too low of an rpm the RER will not work properly. I will stop, but will not start back up in reverse. As stated if its been sitting, could need carbs cleaned. These are pretty reliable sleds.

The Spruce 01-12-2018 11:51 AM

I have a 550F in an expedition. Zero issues. Sounds like you just need a tune up, and maybe a quick run through tightening and checking connections. Carb tune, new belt, new plugs etc. Of note when it is cold like this I run premium in mine. Once it warms up above -20 or so I run regular.

Spruce

Desert Eagle 01-12-2018 08:29 PM

There was an issue with a few newer models with having bad ground connections and also the Skandics needed to have a conductive device placed around the gauges to keep them from doing funny things. Check with a local dealer for service bulletins and they may be able to point you in the right direction

Dean2 01-14-2018 01:38 PM

5 year old with little use, needs proper servicing. If you know how go through it end to end. Clean gas, bottle of seafoam, new plugs, new belt, keep old one for spare, check track, sliders, all bolts and fasteners, check clutch, idle RPM, free play on all cables, output voltages and amps etc. A good service manual is never a waste of money. IF not take it to the dealer and the suggestion by Desert Eagle to check at the dealer for recalls and TSBs is an excellent one.

These sleds have a great rep for reliability and terrible gas mileage but like all things mechanical they need proper care.

Marty S 01-14-2018 11:49 PM

Gotta hate 2 stokes and their little carbs! Once you get the thing running smooth, keep stating it at least once a month to keep the carb clean and varnish free.

I got me a Skandik with 2010 90 km on it. If I don't need it, I'm going to sell it and upgrade to a four stroke and never look back.

If you aren't mechanically inclined, take it to a shop and get them to clean the carb thoroughly and change the plugs.

kritz 01-15-2018 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty S (Post 3709446)
Gotta hate 2 stokes and their little carbs! Once you get the thing running smooth, keep stating it at least once a month to keep the carb clean and varnish free.

I got me a Skandik with 2010 90 km on it. If I don't need it, I'm going to sell it and upgrade to a four stroke and never look back.

If you aren't mechanically inclined, take it to a shop and get them to clean the carb thoroughly and change the plugs.

That's Has a deal for KRITZ written all over it!!!!!!!!! LOL

dugh 01-15-2018 09:06 AM

We bought an 09 new, ran it for 8 years with no issues until I over heated it last spring. Just had a new motor and fan installed so should be good for many more years. But it's the only snowmobile I've used so I can't compare it to others.
Doug

Bushleague 01-17-2018 07:49 PM

Ok, thanks for all the suggestions. I ran a few tanks of premium and Sea Foam through the sled this week and now she runs like a top. Just needed to get limbered up from all that sitting I guess. Still goes through a tank of gas like no tomorrow if I'm not careful how I ride it though.

AlbertaAl 01-18-2018 06:28 AM

skandic

I was at MARTIN J.D. 50 St., Edmtn to get some CanAm parts and stopped to look at the Skandic as I walked through the show room floor.
I own a YAMAHA Venture Multi Purpose 4 Stroke and in comparison ...the Skandic is a "toy"

Big Grey Wolf 01-18-2018 12:09 PM

Best thing for sled is regular gas with lots of ethanol, never have water/ice problems in the fuel. Buying premium fuel is only for suckers lining pockets of oil companies. I always find sleds trims out after first tank of regular fuel.

HunterDave 01-18-2018 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf (Post 3711886)
Best thing for sled is regular gas with lots of ethanol, never have water/ice problems in the fuel. Buying premium fuel is only for suckers lining pockets of oil companies. I always find sleds trims out after first tank of regular fuel.

Is that ethanol use unique to Tundras? I've always been told that ethanol was a big no no for sleds. Something else for me to google I guess. :)

Desert Eagle 01-18-2018 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HunterDave (Post 3712143)
Is that ethanol use unique to Tundras? I've always been told that ethanol was a big no no for sleds. Something else for me to google I guess. :)

Ethanol will not soak up 2 stroke oil. May work for a 4 stroke, but I wouldn't do it with a 2 stroke. Buy good fuel and you don't need ethanol. No need for it. And actually if you have a high output sled you need to run premium to ensure the motor does not detonate and cause piston damage.

Big Grey Wolf 01-19-2018 11:01 AM

Almost ALL gasoline today has ethanol. The oil companies like it for low cost additive to raise octane number. Ethanol is 130 RON Research Octane Number regular gasoline is around 87 and premium is 91 RON. it is not just good for the environment it is good for high performance.

gtr 01-19-2018 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bushleague (Post 3711452)
Ok, thanks for all the suggestions. I ran a few tanks of premium and Sea Foam through the sled this week and now she runs like a top. Just needed to get limbered up from all that sitting I guess. Still goes through a tank of gas like no tomorrow if I'm not careful how I ride it though.

The sea foam and premium gas is a good combo to clean things up, without taking carbs off. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you pop a piston. Risky running a two stroke with dirty carbs, sounds like you got away with it. :)

Ice Fishing Maniac 01-22-2018 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bushleague (Post 3711452)

I don't know this type of sled but if going though fuel, its running too rich. Lean it down if not a EFI by changing the jetting...go lower jet number . Or maybe your oil pump setting is out.

A total clean of the carbs would be a great idea as well as mentioned already.

Bushleague 01-23-2018 07:53 AM

I'm not sure what the normal amount of kilometers one can get out of a tank with these machines is. I've been told that the 550f is hard on gas, not sure if my fuel consumption is normal or not. On a packed trail, regular trapping type pace, I can get 100- 120 km to a tank. Not sure if that is normal for this sled or not.

Dean2 01-23-2018 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bushleague (Post 3715028)
I'm not sure what the normal amount of kilometers one can get out of a tank with these machines is. I've been told that the 550f is hard on gas, not sure if my fuel consumption is normal or not. On a packed trail, regular trapping type pace, I can get 100- 120 km to a tank. Not sure if that is normal for this sled or not.

That is not far off of normal for a 550 but is a little low, if you are using all of the 8.5 gal Imperial tank. Should be in the 150-180 range, assuming you weren't pulling anything, if you were pulling your mileage is fine. They are known to be hard on fuel, but there are things you can check to improve gas mileage. Check you plugs and insure they are a nice light brown/tan after a half trip down the line. If they are your jetting is fine. you do NOT want to run one of these to lean but if the tips are wet or dark brown to black it needs to be leaned out. Also make sure your clutch is going all the way to top gear when you are running 50 K/H (check the rpm spec for 50 k/h, if you are running higher rpm your clutch isn't set right) and above as that could have a negative effect on gas, as could the track being too tight.

Bushleague 01-24-2018 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean2 (Post 3715063)
That is not far off of normal for a 550 but is a little low, if you are using all of the 8.5 gal Imperial tank. Should be in the 150-180 range, assuming you weren't pulling anything, if you were pulling your mileage is fine. They are known to be hard on fuel, but there are things you can check to improve gas mileage. Check you plugs and insure they are a nice light brown/tan after a half trip down the line. If they are your jetting is fine. you do NOT want to run one of these to lean but if the tips are wet or dark brown to black it needs to be leaned out. Also make sure your clutch is going all the way to top gear when you are running 50 K/H (check the rpm spec for 50 k/h, if you are running higher rpm your clutch isn't set right) and above as that could have a negative effect on gas, as could the track being too tight.

At a relatively steady recreational pace of about 35- 50 kmph I can get 150-180 km out of a tank. Running it slow, pulling a modest load, with lots of stops and starts... a regular trapping day for me, I don't think I could get 150 km most days. Honkin' on bobo through deep snow, it will suck back a tank shockingly fast :)

I'll do the checks that you recommended next time I'm out.

turbo mulcher 01-24-2018 07:03 PM

What altitude are you riding at? and temp variation ?
I am at 5000+ and -10 to +5 and I run a 165 main jet