Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Lets see your atv pull behind trailers (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=209222)

leadpillproductions 02-14-2014 11:27 AM

Lets see your atv pull behind trailers

Im looking to build a trailer for my atv for extended trips something with walking beams , Lets see what everyone is using.

chopperman 02-14-2014 01:31 PM

I have both a single and tandem axle, highly recommend the tandem!

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/...0EB237B1A6.jpg

leadpillproductions 02-14-2014 01:51 PM

I want to do a tandem with same tires as atv , not sure if I want to do a tub style or a old trailer fuel tank type . Buddies have the fuel tank types single axles work very well,completly water proof

Steve07 02-14-2014 01:51 PM

Went the low tech route to get more off-road capability... Old grain-auger chassis, angle-iron trailer-frame, plywood floor, and a lift-off cedar plank box built from scrapped wall planks from a basement reno.
http://www.hondaforeman.com/members/...ll-working.jpg

AB RANGER 007 02-14-2014 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leadpillproductions (Post 2323489)
Im looking to build a trailer for my atv for extended trips something with walking beams , Lets see what everyone is using.

If you care to PM me your eMail Address, I will send you some JPG'S/PICS of a trailer that a poster on another site sent me after I helped him with PIC'S from one that I had made from a copy of the now discontinued Mountian Goat Trailers that were made in the USA. Using Auto Stub Axles, 4 stud on 4" or 5 stud on 4.5" on 12" rims witch wil allow you to use the 25"X12"X8/9/10"Quad tires. (Build A Trailer For Your Needs, Not One That Someone Else Thinks You Need). :sign0176:Untill the abmins change the system on this site I will not post JPGS/PIC'S.

Bruce.

Pixel Shooter 02-14-2014 02:25 PM

This is mine. More utility, the power ram is great when watering trees when lifting the water tank to get better flow on the back half. great for unloading firewood or anything you want to, electric brakes for carrying heavy items. Use it for acreage and hunting. awesome trailer, holds 1600lbs.

http://www.pbase.com/keithrankin/ima...1/original.jpg

leadpillproductions 02-14-2014 04:32 PM

looks good but the trails we go leaves a lot of trailers broke down /broke in half , that's too nice for me
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve07 (Post 2323617)
Went the low tech route to get more off-road capability... Old grain-auger chassis, angle-iron trailer-frame, plywood floor, and a lift-off cedar plank box built from scrapped wall planks from a basement reno.
http://www.hondaforeman.com/members/...ll-working.jpg

zims23 02-14-2014 06:13 PM

saw a guy that took an old farm yard oblong fuel tank and coverted to a quad trailer.

a tank similar to this:
http://www.clawsontank.com/fueloil.htm

he laid it on it's side and welded an axle and hitch on it. Cut the other side off. it was awesome. when we went through deeper water, it would float and the inside would be dry.
i wish i had a pic of it

mudbug 02-14-2014 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter (Post 2323646)
This is mine. More utility, the power ram is great when watering trees when lifting the water tank to get better flow on the back half. great for unloading firewood or anything you want to, electric brakes for carrying heavy items. Use it for acreage and hunting. awesome trailer, holds 1600lbs.

http://www.pbase.com/keithrankin/ima...1/original.jpg

Okay now that's impressive :)

AB RANGER 007 02-14-2014 07:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by zims23 (Post 2323873)
saw a guy that took an old farm yard oblong fuel tank and coverted to a quad trailer.

a tank similar to this:

he laid it on it's side and welded an axle and hitch on it. Cut the other side off. it was awesome. when we went through deeper water, it would float and the inside would be dry.
i wish i had a pic of it

These make very good snow packers as well without the wheels.

:sHa_shakeshout: I must apologize to the Admins. for the remark about posting pictures on this site, good to go :sign0013::shake2:

Bruce.

leadpillproductions 02-14-2014 08:17 PM

That's exactly what I want to use they work awesome ,but I want to use a tandem set up for wheels
Quote:

Originally Posted by zims23 (Post 2323873)

a tank similar to this:

i wish i had a pic of it

AB RANGER 007 02-14-2014 08:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by leadpillproductions (Post 2324006)
That's exactly what I want to use they work awesome ,but I want to use a tandem set up for wheels

I will get back to you to-morrow on this site now that I know how to post the JPG'S/PIC'S.
This PIC is the second one that I had built, it has of this past October been modified, the first one was a single axle, a non WBT then I saw the LIGHT. :sHa_shakeshout:
The second pic is the same base with a different set up.the Mountain Goat Trailers that I used a model uses the open end of the front and rear cross members to build the addon piecess. More to-morrow.

Bruce

Jims71duster 02-14-2014 09:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Walking beams with 26" take offs with 12" rims from caster land. Sorry bout the pic, first time loading from an iPad

leadpillproductions 02-14-2014 09:57 PM

Jim nice trailers . would love some pics of axle set up , trying to figure how the attach to frame

AB RANGER 007 02-15-2014 09:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=Jims71duster;2324076]Walking beams with 26" take offs with 12" rims from caster land. Sorry bout the pic, first time loading from an iPad[/QUOT
Fixed it.

Bruce.

quad_hopper 02-15-2014 10:14 AM

What is this costing everyone to build? I want to see if its worthwhile to build vs. buy one that will work.

AB RANGER 007 02-15-2014 11:10 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by quad_hopper (Post 2324476)
What is this costing everyone to build? I want to see if its worthwhile to build vs. buy one that will work.

I can not tell you how much it has cost me to build my trailers as it is an on going progect to get something that you want instead of some thing that some one thinks you should have, because their's is the "best". the Walking Beam Axles need 2 Auto Stub Axels 4 bolt on 4.5" holes,Plus 4 Auto Stub Axles 4 bolts on 4" Holes, 4 12" rims, 4 25"X8/9/10" tires to fit the 12" rims. Plus what ever it takes to make the frames for the Axle pivot,and wheel attachments, plus a tube for the main axle. When I first started on this never ending trip I had the good luck to obtain the beam system from Trail Mark Dis that makes the Rhino Tub Trailers for somthing like $300.00, not counting the wheels/tires. To day the cost for the same thing is $600.00. Then the frame,:sign0161: do you use 2" square tube for the main frame or do you use the 2.5"?? Once you build the main frame and attache the axel it is hard to change it, unless you make it too narrow, to start then, you can widen it, try to stay under total ouside width, wheel to wheel +- 65" Max. Now if you can do your own welding, you can save allot.

Bruce.

AB RANGER 007 02-15-2014 11:41 AM

Walking Beam Axle Trailers.

8 Attachment(s)
I will post pic's now. More to come, I cane only post 8 pic's at a time

Bruce

AB RANGER 007 02-15-2014 12:06 PM

W b t

5 Attachment(s)
Seconed batch.:sHa_shakeshout: The first five are from the same trailer, BCSteve, he chose to use the 4 studs X 4" stub Axels for all of his installation.
The WBA, that I used from the Trail Mark Rihno uses a Auto stub, 4 BoltsX 4.5 " on their pivot. and the 4 X 4" Auto stub on the wheels. I will post some Pick's of my W beams, no mesurements fo mine.
Bruce.

leadpillproductions 02-15-2014 01:20 PM

did you make these ones
Quote:

Originally Posted by AB RANGER 007 (Post 2324601)
Seconed batch.:sHa_shakeshout: The first five are from the same trailer, BCSteve, he chose to use the 4 studs X 4" stub Axels for all of his installation.
The WBA, that I used from the Trail Mark Rihno uses a Auto stub, 4 BoltsX 4.5 " on their pivot. and the 4 X 4" Auto stub on the wheels. I will post some Pick's of my W beams, no mesurements fo mine.
Bruce.

Jack&7 02-15-2014 02:27 PM

If anyone is looking..

...my neighbour has a sweet dual-tire ATV trailer that he is selling.

I don't know the price, but it is well made and would be a whole lot cheaper than building your own. Located in Cochrane.

If you are interested, let me know and I will put you in touch with him.

AB RANGER 007 02-15-2014 02:41 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by leadpillproductions (Post 2324668)
did you make these ones

I have not made any of these trailers or parts for them, I only look and use and somone else builds. In my opinion the best and strongest W B Unit is the one that Trail Mark DS use on their Rhino Tub Trailer, I am not saying that their Tub Trailer is the best, just the Walking Beam Unit is. But what do I know, I am just a 82 year old that likes to dream. I have tried to make it to the Richardson Backcountry area North of Ft McMurray twice now (08&09) and each time I was up there saw pullbehind trailers come out of there in piecess. Most of my ideas came from the now discontinued???? Mountian Goat Trailers, USA. and their earlyer trailers had a oil impregnated bushing on their main axle piviot that had a problem and was knowen to seize on the shaft and the main axle had to be cut off to fix the probem. All the Auto Stub Axles have repairable/replaceable berrings and can use the Berring Buddies.???
The attached PIC'S are of the latest P B T that I have had put to-gether it is 96"L X 38" W X14" high, still not finnised.also attached is my current ride a Customized 2007 Polaris Ranger 6X6 tracked all round for Winter and stock rubber for Summer, it has a diamond plate 60" X 72" flat deck with 12" H sides/front and rear also a 12" cap/top.

Bruce.

AB RANGER 007 02-15-2014 04:06 PM

W b t

7 Attachment(s)
Here is some of my first W B T that I had built, the secret to the Mountain Goat Trailers was the open end consept of the Front and Rear square tubing, this would allow one to place inserts into them to make changes. All these pic's are of the same W B T. The base is 24"W X 74"L X 12" H

Bruce.

fatboyz 02-15-2014 06:05 PM

All 3 are home made chassis' and bought tubs. The 2 black ones are 4' tubs. The lids were bought after and required cutting a foot out of the center and plastic welding back together. I have a Honda 500 and it pulls it great. The big tandem is too heavy and big to easily get where we hunt.

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/w...psfada40c8.jpg

AB RANGER 007 02-15-2014 06:55 PM

8 Attachment(s)
I will post some pics that I have gleemed from other posters. The Richardson Backcountry North of Ft McMurray is a TAKE ALL THAT YOU WILL NEED WITH YOU, as there is no place to get aything but SUN/RAIN/WATER/FISH and trees.

Bruce. :scared0018: :sign0111:

AB RANGER 007 02-15-2014 07:06 PM

[QUOTE=fatboyz;2324955]All 3 are home made chassis' and bought tubs. The 2 black ones are 4' tubs. The lids were bought after and required cutting a foot out of the center and plastic welding back together. I have a Honda 500 and it pulls it great. The big tandem is too heavy and big to easily get where we hunt.

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/w...psfada40c8.jpg[/QUOTE

This is what this is all about. :) What a great picture.

Thanks, Bruce

AB RANGER 007 02-16-2014 09:53 AM

Walking Beam Trailers.

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by leadpillproductions (Post 2324668)
did you make these ones

leadpilll, I was going through some of my pic and found this one, might help you??? The pivot axle is attached to springs and them the W B is bolted to it.
These pictures are not mine, again, copied from the forums that I spend time on.

Bruce.

leadpillproductions 02-16-2014 10:00 AM

Ive got a email in to see if I can buy a walking beam set up , something to copy lol

leadpillproductions 02-16-2014 10:04 AM

AB ranger do u mind if I could get a center to center measurement of walking beam , And complete measurement of walkin beam with tires legth

AB RANGER 007 02-16-2014 11:55 AM

W B Trailers

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by leadpillproductions (Post 2325538)
AB ranger do u mind if I could get a center to center measurement of walking beam , And complete measurement of walkin beam with tires legth

ldp, if you look at the posting #15 you will notice that Jim71duster's tub trailer, is a different shape, it was designed so that the W B'S could do a compleate walkover rotation as the design sugest, but they do not have to do this, stops can be installed to prevent this from happening. If you build a tub that sticks out over the wheels to stop this rotation you could jam or
damage the tub or the WB setup. Now, if you look at posting # 19. pic #2 total length is 31", pic's #3&4 show the 4 bolt X 4" holes at 6" sguare, #5 is the center of the Walking Beam at 15.5". now these mesuments are not written is stone, the 2 things that are important is that the stub axles are centred on the beam and that they are far enough apart for the wheels with the tires of your choice have enough room as not to touch. My Trailer is at my sons place so I cannot give you the exact measurement but my 2007 Polaris Ranger 6X6 has a C to C rear wheels of 27", the newer ones ar now C to C 29" , some thing in the back of my head tells me that the measurement of the Trail Mark Tub Trail W B is C to C 29".??? The wheel rims that you purchase can change how wide and how high they will stand. Caster Land has a good selection of 12" rims. 4"/4.5"W and othes??? I know this fron the problems that I ran into building my last W B T, the Alberta Trail Net have made some suggestions that new trails for curten ORV'S be set at 65" max, and with the tires I have on my W B at this time were to wide overall, but I had two wheels with tires that I had taken off my first quad pullbehind trailer that had the same tires that fit my PR but were narrower, turned out the rims were 4" wide, not as wide as the Quad/UTV rims.

I am in the St Albert area., if I can help you let me know.

The attached PC'S a of the Trail Mark Rhino W B T'S, I do not have any measurements for this set up. Different style, using heaver stub axle's 5 stud with 4.5" bolting.

Bruce.