Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Boating in Whitemud Creek. (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=322404)

ETOWNCANUCK 05-27-2017 04:35 PM

Boating in Whitemud Creek.

I think there is just some places that shouldn't allow power boating, and this should be one.

From Global news.

http://globalnews.ca/video/3482822/b...onmental-group

http://globalnews.ca/video/3482586/e...-from-boaters/

Keep to the river and stay out of the creek.

last minute 05-27-2017 04:56 PM

Dose and Donts

hummm :thinking-006: dam if you do and dam if you don't :thinking-006: the noose just gets tighter and tighter .

NUK SOO KOW 05-27-2017 07:01 PM

Shannon Phillips and her Eco extremists will soon have power boating banned on all river systems in Alberta. Just like she is doing with ATV and open camping. Just wait for it...

TimeOff 05-27-2017 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK (Post 3549278)
I think there is just some places that shouldn't allow power boating, and this should be one.

From Global news.

Just ridiculous! I use the river often and have been witness to idiots in $60,000 jet boats tearing up and down, but up Whitemud creek? Thats a new kind of stupid. It's guy's like that will ruin it for any powered watercraft on the rivers.

There is already a society that is trying to restrict power boating on the NSR. This isn't going to help. :angry3:

pikergolf 05-27-2017 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK (Post 3549278)

From Global news.

Common sense is not common.

ETOWNCANUCK 05-27-2017 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NUK SOO KOW (Post 3549357)
Shannon Phillips and her Eco extremists will soon have power boating banned on all river systems in Alberta. Just like she is doing with ATV and open camping. Just wait for it...

all it takes is a few to ruin it for everyone,

if kids can't be responsible with their toys,
then they should be taken away.

And since we're mostly talking about so called adults...

well

how do we expect kids to do better than us, when we're the ones setting the poor examples?

EZM 05-27-2017 09:45 PM

This story isn't about the government tightening the noose or the green NDP protesting watercraft ..... it's about a moron tearing up a creek with a power boat.

I bet most of us enjoy using our quads, powerboats etc.... and I bet most of us respect the environment and the outdoors we love.

This is just idiotic behaviour.

We shouldn't have to make a law to restrict stupidity and damage like this .... but I guess maybe we do .....

Powerboats shouldn't be in small sensitive creek areas - and definitely not this time of year in particular.

BIG AL 05-28-2017 09:12 AM

commom sense?

Didn't I read on a post a few days ago that "common sense" has passed away?

Big Grey Wolf 05-28-2017 10:17 AM

On a narrow creek a power boat will make mince meat out of the fish swimming upstream to spawn.

JimPS 05-28-2017 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf (Post 3549617)
On a narrow creek a power boat will make mince meat out of the fish swimming upstream to spawn.

Imagine what the wake does to the shoreline and the critters that rely on that narrow riparian zone for survival and reproduction.

Wait a minute - that occurs every year during high water - so it must be a good thing to do it all summer long.

Some low functioning moronic members of the human species need to be inoculated and immunized against stupidity and ignorance.

270person 05-28-2017 11:05 AM

Quote:

Shannon Phillips and her Eco extremists will soon have power boating banned on all river systems in Alberta. .

Doubtful, however some bans just make sense and this is one of them.

Hooter 05-28-2017 11:08 AM

My house backs on the whitemud creek, and I heard another power boat ripping up and down there this morning. Not cool......

waterninja 05-28-2017 12:09 PM

Quote:

I live very close to the NSR, and it is incredible how loud some of those jet boats are.
As for closing the NSR to power boats, I'm not sure a prov. govt. could do that. I think (not 100% sure), that rivers fall under Federal govt. jurisdiction.

Erik 05-28-2017 08:53 PM

A few strategically placed boulders might help.

genoel 05-29-2017 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterninja (Post 3549686)
I live very close to the NSR, and it is incredible how loud some of those jet boats are.
As for closing the NSR to power boats, I'm not sure a prov. govt. could do that. I think (not 100% sure), that rivers fall under Federal govt. jurisdiction.

Absolutely correct!
That's EXACTLY what the story says, all waters are federally regulated so the province or the city can only make a recommendation to the federal government. Amazing how quickly people want to blame the provincial government for something they have nothing to do with.
I'm not sure who's jurisdiction it is to ensure that this idiot's genetic line ends with his generation. Again, sheer stupidity causing the government to urge for a ban on it, plain and simple. GN :)

waterninja 05-29-2017 08:29 AM

I got flamed on another thread when I suggested the city put up a sign letting people know the rules and regs of a popular trout pond within the city limits. I don't mind getting flamed again.
People are very quick to brand others as idiots, stupid, destructive, poachers, etc. Quite often the people involved just don't know better. Perhaps they should, but they don't, and they might think they are just having some fun racing around on this windy narrow channel in their speedy little watercraft. They might not have any idea of the damage they are doing to the ecosystem and the shoreline. Outdoorsmem are taught or at least learn to appreciate things about the ecosystem that a lot of other people never even think of. Too them its just having a fun time on a beautiful day. Besides, it is legal isn't it?
I see nothing wrong with the city placing a large sign ASKING boaters not to use or at least not rip through Whitemud Creek. After all the City has spent thousands? of dollars on an electronic billboard on a busy street near downtown extolling the the beauty of the NSR that most motorists don't even notice or care about.

hayseed 05-29-2017 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik (Post 3549970)
A few strategically placed boulders might help.

That's right...

If we can't educate them, let's kill them.

That will teach em eh??

neilsledder 05-29-2017 09:49 AM

I don't about you guys but that looked fun! Would of loved to be in that boat! But that being said I wouldn't ever go up there in my boat. But I can see how it would happen. Sometimes when a guy is have fun it's hard to have common since prevail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sooner 05-29-2017 09:51 AM

Is this not a guy taking advantage of high water? I doubt you could run that river at normal levels. Who was running the drone? Owner getting some vid of his quest?

If if it is "legal" to do, dude may a stupid choice to run a creek within city limits. Many others out in the crown areas he could do it on. Can you imagine the press if he got stuck on that bank and had to have a rescue?

People need to think twice, do once.

neilsledder 05-29-2017 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sooner (Post 3550300)
Is this not a guy taking advantage of high water? I doubt you could run that river at normal levels. Who was running the drone? Owner getting some vid of his quest?

If if it is "legal" to do, dude may a stupid choice to run a creek within city limits. Many others out in the crown areas he could do it on. Can you imagine the press if he got stuck on that bank and had to have a rescue?

People need to think twice, do once.

It was the news helicopter!

fargineyesore 05-29-2017 10:03 AM

Is it illegal?

Is this just a case of some people who live in the area complaining about noise from the boat?

Someone said that there is a group trying to restrict (or eliminate?) power boats on the NSR. What would be the point of that and what would the reason be?

Marsha 05-29-2017 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fargineyesore (Post 3550311)
Is it illegal?

Is this just a case of some people who live in the area complaining about noise from the boat?

Someone said that there is a group trying to restrict (or eliminate?) power boats on the NSR. What would be the point of that and what would the reason be?

There has been a group complaining but when asked the 5 noise complaints from last year was 5 1 race jetboat, 1 party on the banks of the river and 3 groups drinking and partying while drifting on the river... Note all complaints in same area. city would not release or confrim or deny that it was one complainant.

neilsledder 05-29-2017 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marsha (Post 3550375)
There has been a group complaining but when asked the 5 noise complaints from last year was 5 1 race jetboat, 1 party on the banks of the river and 3 groups drinking and partying while drifting on the river... Note all complaints in same area. city would not release or confrim or deny that it was one complainant.

Marsha Black? I am willing to bet they all came from one person! It only takes one person that has nothing better to do then complain all day to raise a big stink.

Marsha 05-29-2017 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neilsledder (Post 3550383)
Marsha Black? I am willing to bet they all came from one person! It only takes one person that has nothing better to do then complain all day to raise a big stink.

That fact that they would not deny the claim of one person is enough for me and the area in question is 154 street and 50th ave.... the area the houses are falling in the river :thinking-006:

Erik 05-30-2017 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hayseed (Post 3550295)
That's right...

If we can't educate them, let's kill them.

That will teach em eh??

What? I was envisioning cheap obstruction, not what you concluded. the water level​ isn't very high in that creek. Boulders would be above the water mark and act as a gate. I wasn't dreaming as morbidly as you.

hayseed 05-30-2017 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik (Post 3551048)
What? I was envisioning cheap obstruction, not what you concluded. the water level​ isn't very high in that creek. Boulders would be above the water mark and act as a gate. I wasn't dreaming as morbidly as you.

Oh......