Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Spirits and Beer Choices (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=347576)

does it ALL outdoors 07-11-2018 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck (Post 3809513)
Good whisky. Good beer. It's not cheap. But it's good.

Good whisky seems to start at $80 a bottle. Good beer....is good. And not cheap.

Try Gooderham & Worts. $55 a bottle but tastes like it's worth considerably more.

That's my go to since Seagrams bought the recipe from the defunct company.

Used to be Canada's oldest distillery untill they closed up shop in the late 90's or early 00's

YoteStopper 07-11-2018 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors (Post 3810383)
Try Gooderham & Worts. $55 a bottle but tastes like it's worth considerably more.

That's my go to since Seagrams bought the recipe from the defunct company.

Used to be Canada's oldest distillery untill they closed up shop in the late 90's or early 00's

You talking the standard stuff or the 17yr Little Trinity? The LT is great stuff, it tips the scales at $75ish but worth every penny.

tirebob 07-11-2018 02:35 PM

Scotch and red wine are my mainstays, and good versus cheap is paramount. I find the happy point for nice scotches tends to be between $80 to $150 per bottle. Obviously there are very nice ones more than that, but really you can find massive amounts of options in that price point. For wine I drink a lot of Bordeaux, St-Emilion in particular. It tends to be on the expensive end of the scale but fortunately we travel in France fairly often so I pick up some great deals and send them home. Waaaay cheaper than buying local!

Saul Goode 07-11-2018 09:00 PM

Jim Beam and Budweiser is my usual choice for spirits and beer.

HeavyD111 07-12-2018 07:42 AM

Hammer & Sicle vodka! Ohwait, thats been pulled off Alberta shelves because someone didn’t like the ex-soviet symbol. Good stuff though.

smith88 07-12-2018 08:19 AM

Anyone else drink the Coop beer made by Big Rock? It is quite good and fairly cheap.

Was over in Scotland in June and was introduced to Tamnavulin. We had a couple of wee drams while learning to Spey cast on the Spey. Also toured Bunnahabhain out on Islay, has to be one of my favorites too.

omega50 07-12-2018 08:22 AM

I just got back from a family funeral in the Peg and figured I would contribute to my Brother-In-Law's fridge with some Beer and Cider for a BBQ we had after the funeral.

I have always been pretty cost driven in selecting products, but the prices floored me in Manitoba.

A 8 pack of Somersby Cider and 2 cans of Stiegl Radler were $44
Add a 24 of Bud and my total was over a $100
Four of us standing around the bbq and the cooler was empty before dessert.

When it costs $50 a hour to drink Bud it make you wonder what it would cost to drink the good stuff:scared:

I am re-thinking retirement in Manitoba.:)

Au revoir, Gopher 07-12-2018 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smith88 (Post 3810769)
Anyone else drink the Coop beer made by Big Rock? It is quite good and fairly cheap.

They have had a number of breweries making the beer for them over the years. The Big Rock stuff is not one of my favorites. When the started, it was Great Western that made it; I quite liked that. At one point Wild Rose made it and that was good too.

Occasionally it goes on sale for about a buck a beer.

ARG

The moose 07-12-2018 10:44 AM

Summer, Gin and tonic with lemon. Beer in summer I will go with Electric ave or velvet fog Wild rose. Might throw a richards white or blonde in too.

Winter, Barracks brown Wild rose. Love the stuff. Havana club Rums.

Off in the Bushes 07-12-2018 11:55 AM

For me it is simple you drink what you enjoy, I like the taste of alcohol but not so much the effects. Summer is about beer and I enjoy most of the raddlers that are out there the best being Rickards at the moment. At any giving time tequila is a my poison I find very little beats a good extra Anejo, thought not cheap but very tasty, the complexity in those spirits can be comparable to that found in scotch and bourbon. I often refer to it as the Scotch of our southern friends.

altex 07-12-2018 12:29 PM

Canadian , Grey goose and Motts Clamato Ceasar

Jucebox 07-12-2018 12:37 PM

For I have passed the years of drinking for effect, now I go for the enjoyment of it, and I have found some fun exploring the many flavours of whiskies. Just to add the odd opinion for some favourites

Scotch: Wemyss Malts makes a Kiln Ember blended malt. A buddy of mine said it best, its a smokie milkshake with how smooth it is. Its about 80 a bottle.

Rye: Riddton Rye was one Ive recently discovered, and a straight rye whisky. Its around 90

Bourbon: Basil and Hayden make a great high rye bouron, and my uncle loves their dark, which has a bit of port in it. Pretty smooth, lots of flavour.

Beer: I wander all over coop liquor and pick at random, but my go to's: Okanagan springs pale ale for the summer, and gransville islands winter ale from october till when stocks run out

deerfarmer 07-12-2018 09:51 PM

Rum!

Haven't seen a lot of mention of rum here. I like a good whiskey as much as the next fellr but rum is a real treat for me. A few I'm fond of - Captain Morgan Private Stock, Eldorado 12yr usually but 15yr if I'm feeling spendy.

Anyone else savour the rum?

Au revoir, Gopher 07-12-2018 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deerfarmer (Post 3811132)
Haven't seen a lot of mention of rum here. I like a good whiskey as much as the next fellr but rum is a real treat for me. A few I'm fond of - Captain Morgan Private Stock, Eldorado 12yr usually but 15yr if I'm feeling spendy.

Anyone else savour the rum?

They are rare in these parts, but there are some nice rums from the Philippines.

ARG

raab 07-12-2018 10:06 PM

For beer I usually drink Rainier or Bud Light.

For Whiskey I drink Alberta Premium.

YoteStopper 07-12-2018 10:26 PM

Some hoser is trying to sell an EMPTY bottle from the limited release Canadian Club 40 Year for $500 on Kijiji. With the box and bag of course!

hillbilly willy 07-14-2018 09:54 AM

I’ve been drinking fruit wine from Shady Orchard & Winery. It is made in northern Alberta. My favourite is Saskatoon & Raspberry but the Strawberry wine makes a wicked Sangria. I’m also kind of biased... I am the owner of the winery.:oregonian_winesmile

Red Bullets 03-13-2019 11:53 AM

Noticed this new flavoured 88 proof bourbon whiskey. The flavouring is interesting. Beaver Castoreum. Might be good to have in the packpack just for medical purposes.

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens...ions-1.4706002

http://tamworthdistilling.com/2018/0...h-eau-de-musc/

TomP 03-13-2019 12:43 PM

I don’t drink much...but for beer I’ll do MGD, corona and lime or copes banquet. For whiskey I like crown royal or Gibson’s, and I like any spices rum...captain Morgan’s, kraken etc etc.

marlin1 03-13-2019 12:53 PM

plain old Pilsner still works for me , Pacifico if I'm feeling rich . Gibsons or Alberta springs for whiskey

bubba 96 03-13-2019 01:17 PM

Budweiser for me, 44 bucks a flat....

Okotok 03-13-2019 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talking moose (Post 3810382)
A really well done dandelion wine is tuff to beat.

The Hutterites we would buy pigs from for our slow pitch, pig roast wind-ups would throw in a 2 litre pop bottle of Dandelion wine with the pig. Pour it over the pig while it's roasting was the recommendation. Tried a few swigs. It didn't totally suck. Hic. :)

The Cook 03-13-2019 04:16 PM

I quit drinking when they invented the funnel. Jamison & Corona, Lambs Navy & coke, yum yum.

Justfishin73 03-13-2019 04:19 PM

An ice cold Coors Banquet, think its about time for one right now!

Deer Hunter 03-13-2019 04:25 PM

Rainier beer.
And I can't remember the last time I touched the hard stuff

ongaro 12-13-2021 08:04 AM

Vintage unopened whiskey

I have 20 various unopened bottles of Whiskey
years are between 1968-1979
Alberta Springs /Crown Royal etc
Also 7 Unopened boxes of Alberta Beer 1978 Stubby's Molson /Lab
Anyone Know Best way to get Appraisal or
Is anyone Interested

walker1 12-13-2021 09:09 AM

I have been all grain brewing for 5.5 years now and usually have 4 beers on tap in a converted keezer I built. Pale ale not crazy hoppy, amber ales, blonde for summer are my go to.

I drink a lot of beer ..... too much sometimes.... but I can not palate the cheap stuff at all. If it is plus 25 and there is nothing but a Canadian in the cooler, not my cooler, I would drink it.

My go to for years was ALEXANDER kEITH'S . That must be the Maritimer in me and I remember where I first found it on tap when I moved to Calgary in 1997.
The Hose and Hound pub in Inglewood around 98-99.
Like many things, once they sold out to Labatts and was no longer just brewed in Halifax the quality went down. It is still a decent beer.

Wild Rose, Grizzly Paw, And Fernie Brewing all have some good beers. You pay more but I don't go out to eat drink very often that factors in for me.

Kirkland vodka and cranberry juice with lots of ice is my hard liquor drink. The beer bloats me a lot now.

moniaw24 12-13-2021 09:12 AM

Tito's Vodka is hard to beat, Ice cold MGD in a bottle, Wiser's Deluxe for Whiskey, Kraken for rum

skain11 12-13-2021 09:14 AM

Rye: Alberta Premium in a diet ginger press
Beer: Blue Buck from Phillips Brewing
Scotch: Aberlour 12 yr old
Vodka: Van Gough Espresso on ice
Red Wine: J Lohr Cab
White wine: Babich Sauv Blanc

sewerrat 12-13-2021 09:33 AM

I like a good craft beer, but I also like the President choice "honey Brown" and for $12.00 a 12 pack its not bad.