Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Hun numbers Southern Alberta (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=351743)

Mark Huff 09-21-2018 10:48 PM

Hun numbers Southern Alberta

How are Hun numbers down south?

Today I hunted a large farm just south of Lethbridge that in past seasons had lotsa coveys, today not a Hun, or even Hun sign (feathers, bird ****) in sight. I walked 5 or 6 miles with an English Setter that found Pheasants today, but no Huns. Are other hunters finding birds?

Soab 09-22-2018 12:04 AM

Shot 2 Sunday and seen 3 flocks. Not a bunch though

H380 09-22-2018 07:17 AM

Numbers are way down,just like pheasants. Ive got a couple friends that come for opening day of pheasant each year , have done for 40 years.
We are gonna be hard pressed to find them 4 birds for a limit . Lowest numbers I've ever seen .

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

jeprli 09-22-2018 07:40 AM

Was out previous weekend 4 guys 2 dogs, we combed through a half section and did not find anything. One hare came out, no phaesants seen or huns. Day prior we saw a bunch in fields running through rows of wheat. None on public land. Finished the day with couple mallards. Will try again first week of october.

Dougarmitage 09-22-2018 08:17 AM

Last year was epic - this year I would say average

rcmc 09-22-2018 08:28 AM

Around my area in southern AB, it was the worst winter kill on Huns that I have ever seen.

brcarcol 09-22-2018 09:27 AM

We have been out 6 times on the ridge and have got 2 huns in an area where we would limit out most days last year. We are seeing average numbers of pheasants though, to keep the dogs busy.

whitetail Junkie 09-22-2018 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H380 (Post 3844466)
Numbers are way down,just like pheasants. Ive got a couple friends that come for opening day of pheasant each year , have done for 40 years.
We are gonna be hard pressed to find them 4 birds for a limit . Lowest numbers I've ever seen .

Lovely :rolleye2:....I remember the fall of 2011 was the really last bad season where I thought the pheasant became an extinct species....

tatonka2 09-22-2018 10:37 AM

None here in Northcentral Montana either. I have a big running Setter and Huns are my favorite bird to hunt... We've been out several times and have yet to find any. I saw one bunch before the season opened and that's it. The last few years have been very good, but like others have said, last winter appears to have knocked the snot out of the huns.. Finding a few Sharptails, but not a lot. Pheasant numbers are way down also. Our Fish and Game says our pheasants are down 40% to 45% from the LTA (long term average) in this area... I wish they were only down that much. I'd say it's more like 75% down from the LTA. Of course the Fish and Game has to sell licenses to stay in operation and if they said the pheasant numbers were down 75%, their revenue would take a hit...

angery jonn 09-22-2018 10:48 AM

The Kindersley Area population exploded this year, there's Hun's every where you look. I was really hoping the numbers were going to be similar back home.

saddleup 09-22-2018 01:35 PM

Have spent time on the Milk River Valley, haven't seen a hun this summer, and sharpies are way down.. Areas I would normally see 200 huns, absolutely nothing now.. Winter was a big hit on them, we had a lot of snow last winter, very cold, and lots of drifting, gonna take a couple years to recoup from this one.
Yep .... and wouldn't you know it , the govt gives us old guys a drastically reduced fee for birds this year.... hope it didn't impact the whitetail too much.

wwbirds 09-22-2018 01:48 PM

lots around here

put up 20 2 weeks ago planting chukars on the quad and since then on separate plants I have seen smaller family groups of 5-6 a couple times.

scruffy 09-22-2018 06:32 PM

Huns

I had another thread on this same topic. It is very grim where I hunt. I have taken a few on my four trips so far but I think that I am going to leave them alone now in that area and get back to shooting ducks. Lots of them around. :sign0176:

crazy_davey 09-22-2018 07:01 PM

Had lots around our place the past 2-3 years, was nice to see. Haven’t seen one this fall.

Versatile 09-24-2018 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brcarcol (Post 3844550)
We have been out 6 times on the ridge and have got 2 huns in an area where we would limit out most days last year. We are seeing average numbers of pheasants though, to keep the dogs busy.

Your problem is your on the ridge. Get into the dryland and your success will rise. Ive only seem them up there in years where there is a huge number of birds and they chase each other up there claiming breeding grounds.

Wild bird numbers are down 50-60% this year. I feel bad for those trying to start a new dog.

creeky 09-25-2018 06:53 AM

We usually have 12-15 on a ranch straight west of YYC, down to 6 this fall.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

H380 09-25-2018 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie (Post 3844563)
Lovely :rolleye2:....I remember the fall of 2011 was the really last bad season where I thought the pheasant became an extinct species....

They might be after this season ..