Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Camping - crown land - questions (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=356203)

sunnyvalesmostwanted 12-15-2018 03:33 PM

Camping - crown land - questions

Hello

I have never camped on crown land before, but I would like to try it in summer 2019, but have a cpl questions.

How can I find out which land is crown land and which is privately owned so that I know where i can/cannot camp?

The first 'area' I am looking to camp on crown land would be anywhere within 30 minute drive of Thorhild. Anyone know of a decent area up there to camp for free? (crown land)

Do I need a permit to camp on crown land? To have a campfire on crown land??

CNP 12-15-2018 05:16 PM

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...landowner+maps

Landowner maps. You can get the Thorhild County map at the County office in Thorhild for a fee or you can get one off the link above. You don't need a permit to camp on crown land. If there are no fire restrictions you can build a fire.

mattthegorby 12-15-2018 09:14 PM

ihunter App is a cheap easy way to identify crown land all over the Province!

^v^Tinda wolf^v^ 12-15-2018 10:34 PM

A rule I follow in general is to find a preexisting camp sight with a well used pit. The way I see it if it’s been used well chances are it’s okay to camp there unless signs are posted saying otherwise or if there is a well head etc is within the close vicinity. Have fun!

liar 12-16-2018 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ^v^Tinda wolf^v^ (Post 3894061)
A rule I follow in general is to find a preexisting camp sight with a well used pit. The way I see it if it’s been used well chances are it’s okay to camp there unless signs are posted saying otherwise or if there is a well head etc is within the close vicinity. Have fun!

x2

Big Grey Wolf 12-16-2018 08:11 AM

A general rule if no fence and large timber you are probably on crown land, but not 100% accurate. You need to be west of highway 22 (Cowboy trail) and north of highway #43 before you find crown land.

gpgriz 12-16-2018 02:35 PM

14 day limit though, until you're required to move off site.
I don't remember how long you're expected to leave...i think it's a day or two.

Red Bullets 12-16-2018 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf (Post 3894144)
A general rule if no fence and large timber you are probably on crown land, but not 100% accurate. You need to be west of highway 22 (Cowboy trail) and north of highway #43 before you find crown land.

Actually there are little parcels of crown land around several "settled" counties. They are shown on the counties maps. Anywhere from 20 acres to a section or more. Those areas are more used as day use areas but could be legally camped on. Some parcels not too many people go on at all. Practice leaving no footprint.

pa_of_6 12-17-2018 08:47 AM

So would you be walking in and tenting it???

Or driving in???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sunnyvalesmostwanted 12-17-2018 02:33 PM

Wow.....thanks for all the responses guys

Just looking for a place to drive in with my trailer and camp for 4-5 days.

Doesnt have to be WAYY BACK in the bush.....just something nice where I can camp, have my quads there with me & be able to drive right from my capsite area with them.

Woolyoldbugger 12-17-2018 04:56 PM

Better go quick before Ontario Kenney sells it all off to his buddies!

slough shark 12-17-2018 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woolyoldbugger (Post 3895075)
Better go quick before Ontario Kenney sells it all off to his buddies!

While I’m not a fan of this move the planned, current and previous actions of notley have made much of our mountains off limits on a much larger scale

sunnyvalesmostwanted 01-07-2019 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ^v^Tinda wolf^v^ (Post 3894061)

I REALLY like this idea......

The areas we plan on going camping this summer are:

1) Within 30-40 mins of Thorhild on July long so we can go see the canada day rodeo/demo derby
2) Near Entwistle - we like to float the river and go quadding.
3) Near Whitecourt (we have never floated the river there.....but would love to try it out.......beautiful country up there)

Any suggestions of areas to camp for free around these areas would be GREATLY appreciated

Only other way I can think of finding a place to camp is to go for a drive aherad of time to scout out a decent spot???

mmhmmmm 01-07-2019 08:37 PM

Scouting is always a good call! Every time I camp I go for a good drive to scout some uncharted territory. Buy yourself a good quality backroad map and mark it up!

Do as much reading and map reading as you can because I the hunt for great camping sometimes is a really hard to read map. I am pretty conservative with where I stay because I really don’t want to **** of a landowner.

Good luck!

sunnyvalesmostwanted 01-07-2019 08:55 PM

I feel the same way.....i want to make 100% sure that the place we end up setting up camp is a place we are allowed to be!

and I prefer paper maps for this kind of thing......

I think i have seen those backroad maps books.....is there a particular brand/make of backroad map book that i should try to get?

Talking moose 01-07-2019 09:15 PM

Anything saying no camping on ducks unlimited land? Fires?

Talking moose 01-07-2019 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunnyvalesmostwanted (Post 3906985)
I feel the same way.....i want to make 100% sure that the place we end up setting up camp is a place we are allowed to be!

and I prefer paper maps for this kind of thing......

I think i have seen those backroad maps books.....is there a particular brand/make of backroad map book that i should try to get?

I’m thinking electronic maps might be more up to date than paper maps. Unless the paper has come hot off the press so to speak... how often are electronic maps updated?

sweld 01-07-2019 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunnyvalesmostwanted (Post 3906921)
I REALLY like this idea......

The areas we plan on going camping this summer are:

1) Within 30-40 mins of Thorhild on July long so we can go see the canada day rodeo/demo derby

2) Near Entwistle - we like to float the river and go quadding.

3) Near Whitecourt (we have never floated the river there.....but would love to try it out.......beautiful country up there)

Any suggestions of areas to camp for free around these areas would be GREATLY appreciated

Only other way I can think of finding a place to camp is to go for a drive aherad of time to scout out a decent spot???

Hwy 32 between Edson and Whitecourt where you cross the Macleod river.

Wes_G 01-07-2019 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slough shark (Post 3895077)
While I’m not a fan of this move the planned, current and previous actions of notley have made much of our mountains off limits on a much larger scale

Not off limits to you at all, just your quads!