Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Wolves (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=337478)

tullfan 01-17-2018 06:08 PM

Wolves

So If a guy was looking to try his hand at a first wolf. Now without giving away any hide holes. Where would a fella go looking within 2-3 hour drive of Airdrie?
Any spots with more better populations?
I've heard them in Rocky and spotted a few but not constantly. I get it's hunting and there are no for sure's, just looking for a decent direction.
Thanks,
tullfan

MooseRiverTrapper 01-17-2018 06:17 PM

Drive the trunk road on fresh snow and look for tracks and howl.

ETOWNCANUCK 01-17-2018 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tullfan (Post 3711365)
So If a guy was looking to try his hand at a first wolf. Now without giving away any hide holes. Where would a fella go looking within 2-3 hour drive of Airdrie?
Any spots with more better populations?
I've heard them in Rocky and spotted a few but not constantly. I get it's hunting and there are no for sure's, just looking for a decent direction.
Thanks,
tullfan

Just make sure you know what you are shooting at.

Unlike this idiot.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3971766/h...stern-alberta/

Full Curl Earl 01-17-2018 06:49 PM

Lol

Not sure Idiot status is applicable in this situation or RCMP would have laid charges. It’s not like he shot a Weiner dog mistakenly!

slough shark 01-17-2018 07:05 PM

West of Caroline as well as a bit south of there as well for that matter I’ve heard them a lot out hunting, it could also be a good strategy to look close to the wintering grounds of ungulates, places like yaha tinda ought to hold some

ETOWNCANUCK 01-17-2018 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl (Post 3711394)
Not sure Idiot status is applicable in this situation or RCMP would have laid charges. It’s not like he shot a Weiner dog mistakenly!

Idiot is too tame, but I’d get banned for what I really want to say.
If you can’t look through a scope and know what you are shooting at, you don’t deserve to be able to do it.

Hopefully he”ll at least man up and pay the vet bills.

heretohunt 01-17-2018 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl (Post 3711394)

Agreed ^^

Mr Flyguy 01-17-2018 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK (Post 3711411)
Idiot is too tame, but I’d get banned for what I really want to say.
If you can’t look through a scope and know what you are shooting at, you don’t deserve to be able to do it.

Hopefully he”ll at least man up and pay the vet bills.

Agreed. I was also about to be banned for my thoughts if posted!

nube 01-17-2018 08:28 PM

I would bet if most guys saw that dog on crown land they would have shot it thinking it is a wolf. How many hunters on here have actually seen more than 1 wolf in their lifetime at under 300 yards? I bet not many!

As for places to look.... they are all over.
Lots around YaHA Area. Burnt Timber. Ghost Area. K country from what I am told has a pile and they will be down low in the creeks and valleys this time of year near any elk herds.

Slicktricker 01-17-2018 08:42 PM

Lots in rocky area go into chambers creek. If ever up in edson want to go let me know we are at 12 this winter so far

heretohunt 01-17-2018 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nube (Post 3711492)
I would bet if most guys saw that dog on crown land they would have shot it thinking it is a wolf. How many hunters on here have actually seen more than 1 wolf in their lifetime at under 300 yards? I bet not many!

Lots around YaHA Area. Burnt Timber. Ghost Area. K country from what I am told has a pile and they will be down low in the creeks and valleys this time of year near any elk herds.

I don’t like to agree very often but here I go again. Agreed ^^
That is what experience sounds like.

Slicktricker 01-17-2018 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nube (Post 3711492)

I'm no where near a great predator hunter and between work and hunting I've seen lots within 300 yards

Big Grey Wolf 01-18-2018 11:16 AM

Just "go west young man" the entire boreal forest foothill crown area of Alberta is over run with wolves. The estimated population is around 10,000 and normal average numbers were in the 3000 range.

CF8889 01-18-2018 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slicktricker (Post 3711504)
Lots in rocky area go into chambers creek. If ever up in edson want to go let me know we are at 12 this winter so far

I'll be heading up chambers looking for em this weekend. Too bad you aren't still out that way.

tullfan 01-18-2018 01:42 PM

Ok, thank you gentlemen. I'll head west Monday. (I have Mondays off) Instead of turning towards Rocky I'll continue on west, see what happens.
If Not, well I'll be bear hunting up north come May. Sooner or later.
Tullfan

Bulldog Edm 01-18-2018 03:51 PM

I saw a few wolves picking a cow carcass clean this fall. About an hour later howling started near where we saw the wolves and then howls from the opposite side of us.sounded like at least a dozen wolves. This was about an hour west of Edmonton.

Slicktricker 01-18-2018 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CF8889 (Post 3711937)
I'll be heading up chambers looking for em this weekend. Too bad you aren't still out that way.

Go to where my stand is and go into the valley lol and on way out if you want to remove the ladder stand and keep it go for it

CF8889 01-19-2018 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slicktricker (Post 3712323)
Go to where my stand is and go into the valley lol and on way out if you want to remove the ladder stand and keep it go for it

Haha appreciate it bud. We were out there during deer season and I didn't see it. Some friendly hunter might have already snagged it. I'll let you know though haha