Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Trapping Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Is the cold weather helping? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=375131)

trigger7mm 01-11-2020 05:37 PM

Is the cold weather helping?

Have you snaremen out there noticed an increase in the amount of activity around your bait sites with this cold snap? Seems to really have them on the hunt for food...no wonder. Should be good this coming week.

204ruger 01-11-2020 06:23 PM

Definitely more movement for me too! This snow we are getting with it is helping as well, covers up those mice and small rodents.

tikka250 01-11-2020 09:14 PM

im just confused. my one bait has dropped down to nothing and my next bait is on fire. in 2 checks i have pulled 12 coyotes :sHa_shakeshout:

trigger7mm 01-12-2020 01:26 PM

Is the cold

Quote:

Originally Posted by tikka250 (Post 4090224)
im just confused. my one bait has dropped down to nothing and my next bait is on fire. in 2 checks i have pulled 12 coyotes :sHa_shakeshout:

Almost exactly the same situation with me.

kingrat 01-12-2020 01:48 PM

I've had an increase. Should start to slow down fairly soon though with breeding and what not coming up.

Red Bullets 01-13-2020 12:46 AM

Cold it gets the harder the yappers move. Years ago I was out one morning when it was -45F and coyotes were out in full force hunting. Counted 38 coyotes over 10 miles and shot 8. Cold weather and snow makes for nice clean prime pelts. Bushline and ridge trail snaring instead of bait piles too.

trigger7mm 01-13-2020 02:49 PM

Is the cold

I hope we can all get a good catch during this cold spell. I have a feeling that once it starts to come around and warm up some, that we will see them starting to get rubbed more and more. Good luck everyone.

Big Grey Wolf 01-14-2020 09:28 AM

Cold weather

It is sure helping me to stay in the warm cabin by the fire. My old bones do not handle the cold as well as they did in my younger days! Anyone interested in good trapline with warm log cabins.

Marty S 01-14-2020 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tikka250 (Post 4090224)

Quote:

Originally Posted by trigger7mm (Post 4090738)
Almost exactly the same situation with me.

Guys... after all this time... have you gleaned nothing from the wisdom of the fine members of this site?

It is simply sporadic cases of the AC Virus. Get over it!

Watch closely for signs of it on your snared animals. You might have to dig in, as in open them up, trapper necropsy, and look very closely for signs of the condition. Coyotes perhaps emaciated, suffering from hunger, you may have to open the carcass up to determine. Look for signs of carotid and or tracheal occlusion. If it’s occurring in your snared coyotes, it’ll likely be happening in the rest of them, especially in a high competition area. Ask your competition to look/see/check their snared animals to see if they have even suffering the same fate. If so, you have found your answer.

kingrat 01-14-2020 12:37 PM

Interesting Marty. I have done several that are literally skin and bones with not a stitch of fat and was wondering what the hell. Like I'm talking bones sticking out starving...

coyote_man 01-14-2020 06:12 PM

AC Virus

I have shot a couple of coyotes with a case of ac virus. When you check the neck area it is very obvious.If they have had the virus for a significant period of time then you may see weight loss and they come foolishly to my calling.

tikka250 01-14-2020 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty S (Post 4091951)
Guys... after all this time... have you gleaned nothing from the wisdom of the fine members of this site?

It is simply sporadic cases of the AC Virus. Get over it!

Watch closely for signs of it on your snared animals. You might have to dig in, as in open them up, trapper necropsy, and look very closely for signs of the condition. Coyotes perhaps emaciated, suffering from hunger, you may have to open the carcass up to determine. Look for signs of carotid and or tracheal occlusion. If it’s occurring in your snared coyotes, it’ll likely be happening in the rest of them, especially in a high competition area. Ask your competition to look/see/check their snared animals to see if they have even suffering the same fate. If so, you have found your answer.

and here i thought it was the super moon :bad_boys_20:

jeffreys 21234 01-15-2020 02:11 PM

Well just Cheaked my two baits the new one I set up was dead till this cold snap an the dump of snow we got lots of trails but of course not where I had set the snares on previous trails before the snow so spent the day moving snares all around so fingers crossed next cheak will pay off

HunterDave 01-18-2020 01:11 PM

It was a very good week for me with lots of new trails to set on. I don't have a lot of snares left hanging at my baits because I wasn't about to be hanging snares in -38 weather. I couldn't even add more bait to the sites because the pig guts froze in the barrels and was a real bugger to get out. I literally had to get my upper body inside the barrel to pull the guts out. What a mess......lol!

Going to be a busy week hanging/adjusting snares and putting out bait with this milder weather coming. :)