Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Trapping Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Zone 4 trapline for sale or junior partner wanted? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=114888)

steve 12-18-2011 11:00 AM

Zone 4 trapline for sale or junior partner wanted?

Anyone know if there's anything for sale in Zone 4 or someone wanting to take on a junior partner?

I have called the locals and done a fair amount of poking around without any luck.

turbo mulcher 12-18-2011 11:25 AM

Come down to zone 6

steve 12-18-2011 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turbo mulcher (Post 1213687)
Come down to zone 6

Thanks for the offer, thats to far south for me. Even the southern part of 4 is getting to far south.

Why is there so few traplines for sale? I read that over 90% of crown land is registered traplines. But yet you put on a few thousand KM's on old snow in trapline country. And you see one or two sets off trapper tracks? A guy would think more would be for sale.

northerntrapper 12-18-2011 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve (Post 1213698)
Thanks for the offer, thats to far south for me. Even the southern part of 4 is getting to far south.

Why is there so few traplines for sale? I read that over 90% of crown land is registered traplines. But yet you put on a few thousand KM's on old snow in trapline country. And you see one or two sets off trapper tracks? A guy would think more would be for sale.

I do know that there is quite a number being held for whatever reason by the government that were taken back or given up by the trapline holder. As for myself, I don't do a lot until after hunting season is over, due to the heavy traffic over my trails if I open them, and then the interference of some 'hunters' with sets. That would explain why you don't see a lot of activity on some lines, and others are simply not trapped. Myself, I split up the trapline into thirds, so I only trap the same area every 3 years so as to allow fur rejuvenation. As for traplines for sale, I've seen a number of them listed in the back of the ATA magazine, and some on this forum. Just takes money.

steve 12-18-2011 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by northerntrapper (Post 1214113)
I do know that there is quite a number being held for whatever reason by the government that were taken back or given up by the trapline holder. As for myself, I don't do a lot until after hunting season is over, due to the heavy traffic over my trails if I open them, and then the interference of some 'hunters' with sets. That would explain why you don't see a lot of activity on some lines, and others are simply not trapped. Myself, I split up the trapline into thirds, so I only trap the same area every 3 years so as to allow fur rejuvenation. As for traplines for sale, I've seen a number of them listed in the back of the ATA magazine, and some on this forum. Just takes money.

I got a ata subscription on the way. I am talking after hunting season. Dec 1 to feb 29 I am pounding roads and not seeing much trapper activity. Thanks for the reply.

sourdough doug 12-18-2011 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by northerntrapper (Post 1214113)

X 2, NT, Not in all cases where activity is not seen, does this mean, that nothing is happening. Eg., Just venture 30 yds. off a cutline and see how much more animal sign you will see, referrring here to moose and deer.

I have a resource road that runs along one side of my boundary and will not set along it becuz of people picking my traps. At the same time, I will trap up to that road, but from the backside and therefore no one will ever see my tracks and that is by design.. It certainly does not mean I have not been there.
I, too "summer fallow" portions of my line. The only evidence of my being, exists basically, from my cabin and radiating from there.. I leave as small a footprint as possible. I'm sure many don't do as I do but I do know that some do, for the same reasons as me and when posssible, more are doing it....:character0175:

McLeod Valley 12-19-2011 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sourdough doug (Post 1214252)
X 2, NT, Not in all cases where activity is not seen, does this mean, that nothing is happening. Eg., Just venture 30 yds. off a cutline and see how much more animal sign you will see, referrring here to moose and deer.

I have a resource road that runs along one side of my boundary and will not set along it becuz of people picking my traps. At the same time, I will trap up to that road, but from the backside and therefore no one will ever see my tracks and that is by design.. It certainly does not mean I have not been there.
I, too "summer fallow" portions of my line. The only evidence of my being, exists basically, from my cabin and radiating from there.. I leave as small a footprint as possible. I'm sure many don't do as I do but I do know that some do, for the same reasons as me and when posssible, more are doing it....:character0175:

X2:)

steve 12-19-2011 11:15 PM

I see what you guys are saying.

steve 12-26-2011 12:28 AM

Anything?

steve 02-23-2012 03:42 PM

Willing to pay a finders fee for something that works out in zone 3 or 4. Junior Partner preferably.

Thanks

steve 03-04-2012 08:54 PM

Anyone know a guy, that they could put me in touch with?

steve 03-22-2012 08:28 PM

BTT

Will show up with own gear. Can be easily tricked into splitting large amounts of wood.

BrownBear416 03-23-2012 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve (Post 1358451)
BTT

Will show up with own gear. Can be easily tricked into splitting large amounts of wood.

lol

steve 05-25-2012 11:45 PM

Had something on the go but it fell through.

Also have jetboat, if a river is involved.

edmutv 05-31-2012 12:17 PM

have you looked on kijjiji ? I did a quick google search and found this one. Not sure if its close to you or not.

Ad ID 383555258

Davi54rOv 06-25-2012 11:41 PM

Junior Partner preferably. http://www.progtours.info/jie8.jpg