Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Using shot in a rifled muzzleloader (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=310299)

fatboyz 12-18-2016 07:37 AM

Using shot in a rifled muzzleloader

I'm expecting Pete or Cat to have some experience here. I have a 50 cal flintlock and would like to do some rabbit/grouse hunting over Christmas. I read a few things on the interweb about using a homemade paper shot cup and leather and cardboard wads to shoot lead shot. Seems like it would work? anyone have any real world experience. I saw a few youtube videos and nothing blew up!

Mr Hawken 12-18-2016 08:31 AM

Don't have any experience shooting shot out of rifled muzzloader but I would think the shot would not fly right. Why not load your 50 down and do head shots My 50 that I used to own I think was around 60 gr ff would be a very accurate target load probably be more accurate than shooting shot.

catnthehat 12-18-2016 09:02 AM

I know lots of hunter's in the past used to shoot shot charges in slow twist barrels , it will work , yes .
Find the weight of a Maxi Vall and use that as you Shot weight for the powder
The Snider ammo was available in shot loads as well as bullets.
Cat

Big Grey Wolf 12-18-2016 09:13 AM

I found it worked real well in 50 caliber. I had a bunch of 28 gauge plastic sleves for shotgun shell reloading, would not damage barrel and kept good pattern. They may be a little hard to find though.

fatboyz 12-18-2016 09:58 AM

Sounds good fellas. As far as head shots on grouse with my flintlock? not sure I could hold steady enough waiting for spit, flash and boom. I think I'll give the shot charges a go, and at normal rabbit/grouse distance of 10-12 yards I think it work. I'll let you know how it works out.

Knot Rite 12-28-2016 07:38 PM

I wouldn't do it out of mine. I would just have my concerns about the rifling filling up with lead deposits and affecting the accuracy. My furthest shot is 119 yds with open sights using a maxi-ball and If the twist in the rifling is filled with small deposits of lead, than this type of shot would not be possible. Just saying.:scared0018:

Bobby

waterninja 12-28-2016 07:54 PM

Hmmmm. I don't get it. How does this become a sticky? Might as well ask if it's ok to shoot shot out of a rifled shotgun. Hardly a sticky subject. At least put it in the guns and ammo section.

Bushleague 03-07-2017 02:10 PM

I thought this was going to be a post or a link to an article that recently ran in "Backwoodsman" magazine. I'll see if I can find a link, but a guy patterned a bunch of different loading methods out of a Lyman Deerstalker (1:48 twist). With several loads he was getting standard patterning for a cylinder choke. IIRC using a Wonder Wad under and on top of the charge and getting good results.

The Flint&Fly Guy 03-17-2017 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knot Rite (Post 3428243)
I wouldn't do it out of mine. I would just have my concerns about the rifling filling up with lead deposits and affecting the accuracy. My furthest shot is 119 yds with open sights using a maxi-ball and If the twist in the rifling is filled with small deposits of lead, than this type of shot would not be possible. Just saying.:scared0018:

Bobby

Most of the examples here use a shot cup of some sort, that would keep it from touching the rifling. And even if it did would it leave significantly more than the maxiball, or the bp fowling for that matter!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bergman 03-19-2017 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Flint&Fly Guy (Post 3496082)
Most of the examples here use a shot cup of some sort, that would keep it from touching the rifling. And even if it did would it leave significantly more than the maxiball, or the bp fowling for that matter!

I think the issue is the shot gliding over the rifling without fully biting into it.
A lead slug is deformed to fill the barrel and twist with the rifling. One thought is that shot does not deform to the same extent, and may be "shaved" by passing over the rifling, causing more fouling. Shot cup may solve the whole problem.

To the OP, there is only one way to find out! It's not like you are going to elmer fudd the thing. Give it a try and report back.

fatboyz 03-26-2017 08:50 AM

I gave this a go this winter and it worked excellent! I used 60 grains of FF black powder. For the shot cup I used a 50cal sabot. I put just a bit more shot into the cup past full and it weighed 150 grains. I bout 1\2" felt furniture pads from the dollar store to use as a wad over the shot cup and they worked perfect. I had it loaded for over two weeks while out rabbit hunting over two weekends and it worked excellent. Never found a critter to shoot but I did a little patterning with it on a couple pieces of lath out in the bush. At rabbit/grouse distance of about 12m it blew the lath apart and had a pattern of about 4". Can't wait for next fall to give it a go on grouse.