Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Best place for a septic tank? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=343615)

leeelmer 04-23-2018 11:42 AM

Best place for a septic tank?

Hi Guys,
Looking to remove my old lagoon and put in a septic tank and pump out on my farm.
Any advice on who to buy it from. I have all the equipment to dig one in and back fill and hook up, just need to get a tank and pump.
Better to get a concrete one? or plastic? or fiberglass?
Never dealt with this before, the old lagoon has never given us one seconds trouble, but it is in the way now, and I need the room.

Thanks Lee

Suzukisam 04-23-2018 12:07 PM

Check with your county first. Old ones like you had are grandfathered but no changes allowed. Some counties my require a minisota mound.

Norwest Alta 04-23-2018 12:33 PM

Curious why you want to change

leeelmer 04-23-2018 01:58 PM

As I am on a farm I can put in a septic tank with a pump out in my county.
I want the lagoon gone as it is a hazard with little kids and livestock, as well as it takes up room that I want because of where the lagoon is,

Norwest Alta 04-23-2018 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leeelmer (Post 3775199)
As I am on a farm I can put in a septic tank with a pump out in my county.
I want the lagoon gone as it is a hazard with little kids and livestock, as well as it takes up room that I want because of where the lagoon is,

Oh ok. Mine is fenced off and never gave it to much thought of kids wanting to swim in the brown trout pond.

Mister Bee 04-23-2018 03:02 PM

alberta wilbert sales. I built 2 years ago and that's where mine came from. I went concrete. If you have a softener I'm pretty sure you need to specify that before you purchase as if you do have one as I believe it would be lined then. And do yourself a favour and install a high level alarm for piece of mind

TROLLER 04-23-2018 03:56 PM

Mine is concrete never had any issues, buddy just put in a new system and went with the fiberglass.

I like to put septonic down my tank once a week to keep a good level of bacteria, I know they say you don't need it but it is cheap insurance, also have done the ol chicken down the tank trick. Had to replace my pump last yr and the worst part was my tank alarm never sounded so make sure you get a decent alarm.

Suzukisam 04-23-2018 08:30 PM

West Con. Or tanks a lot. Concreat have longer lifespan and stringer if you should drive over area with quad or bobcat Fiberglass weakens with time and won’t hold up to a quad going over it to often. Transport cost could get costly depending where you are

ChrisGrohms 04-23-2018 08:33 PM

Oroms holding west of Innisfail.
Best tanks around. And prices as well.

NCC 04-23-2018 10:03 PM

When we built near Alhambra a few years ago, Van's Concrete out of Lacombe had the best price. Delivered with a picker and set it in the hole for us.

Dewey Cox 04-23-2018 10:31 PM

I work with Bashaw concrete a fair bit.
They’re good to work with.

Big Grey Wolf 04-24-2018 09:26 AM

Pembina Concrete out of Evanburg best by far price and longevity. Wilber tanks walls are to thin and will fail, nice for lower transportation costs.

Weebo 04-24-2018 11:54 AM

Go with a concrete tank. By the time you backfill with all the 3\4 washed they want you to use your gonna be close to the same price, stronger as mentioned and if you have high water table they can pop out like a bobber on the lake.Concrete ones have the centre divider rots out but it takes 20-30 years. Minimum code is a meter from house. Make sure you can get a pumper truck to it easily. Barrels a least a foot above ground.two electrical circuits to tank, one for alarm and one for pump. I like the zoeller 1\2 horse cast pumps with brass impeller. High water alarm is rhombus. Use 4" abs to tank.(lighter pipe can collapse). Also don't over excavate the hole, you want it right so your pipe is supported as much as possible with the tank still fitting.hope some of this helps you.

Dewey Cox 04-24-2018 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weebo (Post 3775730)
Go with a concrete tank. By the time you backfill with all the 3\4 washed they want you to use your gonna be close to the same price, stronger as mentioned and if you have high water table they can pop out like a bobber on the lake.Concrete ones have the centre divider rots out but it takes 20-30 years. Minimum code is a meter from house. Make sure you can get a pumper truck to it easily. Barrels a least a foot above ground.two electrical circuits to tank, one for alarm and one for pump. I like the zoeller 1\2 horse cast pumps with brass impeller. High water alarm is rhombus. Use 4" abs to tank.(lighter pipe can collapse). Also don't over excavate the hole, you want it right so your pipe is supported as much as possible with the tank still fitting.hope some of this helps you.

What’s your reasoning behind putting the manhole a foot above the ground as opposed to right at ground level?

Weebo 04-24-2018 02:06 PM

To keep meltwater from going in it. Also the new lids are plastic so you don't want to run em over and if there up a ways there visible if you need to service the pump in the snowy months you can find it.