Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Have you ever hit a dog with your vehicle? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=172676)

Lefty-Canuck 03-25-2013 09:51 PM

Have you ever hit a dog with your vehicle?

Without getting into grave details....was in the wrong place at the wrong time and did everything I could to avoid it....but was unable to.

I found the owners and after they said goodbye I took the dog (deceased) to my wife's place of work (she works at a vet office) to have it cremated for the owners....feel absolutely terrible even though I know it wasn't my fault and I did what I could to avoid it and it still happened.

I have 3 dogs of my own and am handling this the best way I know how but still feel horrible for the dog and the family....first time anything like this has happened to me.

Has this happened to you and what did you do?

LC

Ken07AOVette 03-25-2013 10:03 PM

One ran out on the highway one time after my wheels, missed by inches.
He didn't see the boat trailer, ended him right there.
His owner saw it, picked him up and put him in the back of his truck. Bad day.
Yes, I stopped.

A neighbor backed over her 2 Rottweiler puppies, busted them up badly. I dispatched them for her, bad day. She was devastated.

leeaspell 03-25-2013 10:06 PM

I have never hit one, but I came real close one day.

I was working in boyle, driving past a hotel I noticed a lady let her little dog out of the car and the dog started running towards the street. Once it got to the sidewalk it stopped, until I was a truck length away then it decided it had to cross the street. As I locked up the truck the dog disappeared in front of me. The lady was running towards me crying. I looked in the mirrors and never seen it so I figured I hit it. It was one of those moments when your heart sinks and you feel sick. But luckily, when she got a few feet from me the lil bugger ran out from under the truck like nothing happened lol.

In the other side, back in nfld I had many dogs that got ran over, most people didn't stop. But when all the dogs roam and chase cars it was just something that happened.

Pincherguy 03-25-2013 10:07 PM

I have had the misfortune two different times in my years of driving. This is a terrible feeling I was devistated both times. I did find the owners and one of the hardestthings to say is I'm sorry I ran over your dog. Both were unpreventable but I felt bad anyway.

blackmamba 03-25-2013 10:15 PM

yup , unfortunately it was my own dog .. worst day of my life hands down ... I was absolutely devistated holding him in my arms .. we made it to the vet but he passed 4 dyas later ..

greylynx 03-25-2013 10:16 PM

I ran over the neighbor's dog with a tractor tire. Not nice.

Even though the pooch was a tire biting mutt, the incident left a big lump in my stomach. Not good.

You don't forget stuff like that.

nelsonob1 03-25-2013 10:25 PM

Ran over a guys dog and it wa still on the leash = one of those extendable rope things. Terrible scene. The dog was alive but in real bad shape. the owner was wreck and freaking out. I was just twenty years old and just devastated. Cops turned up and wouldn't do anything useful. After waiting for 20 minutes for a vet not to arrive I put a cover over the dog and hit with a wheel wrench. Man that was a ****ty day.

Grizzly Adams 03-25-2013 10:27 PM

Got a tire biter one day. :D Felt bad about it, but poor training by his owner brought it on him. On the main highway no less. Mutt ran out to give chase, gave up on the truck, but I was pulling a baler which he didn't figure on. Lots of near misses and in the end there's not much you can do about it .

Grizz

Redfrog 03-25-2013 10:27 PM

I've never hit one but have attended way too many that have. Never easy. Some I had to put down at the scene , some went to the vets and some were dead.

I'm really OCD about keeping my dogs from roaming.

Lefty-Canuck 03-25-2013 10:32 PM

Worst part is there was 5 dogs all shapes and sizes and I came to a complete stop....Rolled down my window and was yelling at them and I thought all five were clear and had given up....so I started to accelerate and about 40-50m away I hear thump then I see the dog laying on the road in my rear view.... I never knew she was running behind/beside my truck.

Was on my to the range and was dreading if I had to shoot the dog....it had fully expired by the time I stopped and walked back to it.

Needless to say the range trip was cancelled and a damper put on my evening...

LC

DiabeticKripple 03-25-2013 10:36 PM

i was with my old boss once when we ran a dog over. never told anyone about it until now. this was 4 years ago. made me sick to watch my boss dispatch it with a tire iron.

no collar on it so we couldnt find an owner.

Erik 03-25-2013 10:45 PM

My dad ran over my dog when I was about 5 years old. I was in the vehicle and felt the bump. Still remember the incident like it was yesterday.

Wilbur1005 03-25-2013 10:46 PM

Police plug pup

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...shoot-dog.html

Try this one, the whole city is upset.

calebwest1987 03-25-2013 10:54 PM

Comming back from Clyde to westlock with a hitchhiker, right outside town this great big old monsters white sheep dog walked right in front of my car. Cracked the front bumper and fender killed it instantly I was going 110km/hr. I had seen a bus stopped there in the mornings so in knew they had kids in school, once I dropped the hitchhiker off as husky I drove out and knock on their door at like 130am. They were a little alarmed that a stranger was at their door but then thanked me for the heads up as they agreed having their kids find it in the am at their bus stop would of been hard to deal with, i felt terrible but was glad it was handled so well by them

NewGuard84 03-25-2013 10:57 PM

Sorry to hear this, it's unfortunate. I was once driving my car down a residential street which had ravine on one side. It was evening in the winter so both lighting and surface conditions were at play as I travelled about 30-40 km/h. I saw a rabbit run from the ravine across the road approximately 20-25 feet in front of my car. I felt that was a rather close call. I was horrified to see the golden receiver emerge from the trees, chasing the rabbit.

I was on the brakes as quickly as I could be, but the dog was so close it disappeared from my view, obstructed by the hood. My car took many feet of sliding to stop and when it stopped I got out to survey the damage. The pooch was on the sidewalk opposite the ravine wagging his tail and almost smiling at me. His coat has a significant amount of dirt/mud which had smeared from my bumper onto him leaving a cleaner looking portion of the bumper.

I was elated and bent down and hugged/petted the thing until his desperate owner, out of breath from running up the hill from the ravine to the street, arrived. The owner, a middle aged man, looked very emotional and relieved as he knelt to scold and hug the dog at the same time. This memory came to me when I read this post and I wish you would have been able to have been luckier like I was.

It sounds like everything you did was reasonable and sometimes the animals just don't see the danger. Don't let it get to you too much and spoil your dogs.

Steve

Pincherguy 03-25-2013 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilbur1005 (Post 1904184)
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...shoot-dog.html

Try this one, the whole city is upset.

This one didn't get hit with a vehicle, too bad the cops had to shoot it. I don't want to derail this thread so i won't say anymore.

twofifty 03-25-2013 11:05 PM

Sent one into orbit once at 100km/h, 2am, on a country 2-laner in the middle of nowhere.

He'd just run out from the trees onto the road. I darted into the other lane and would have missed it, except that it changed it's mind and turned back. It was a solid skull-to-tail bumper hit that launched it up and forward into the glare of my halogen lights. Didn't stop.

Surprising amount of damage to the bumper.

Country_boy17 03-25-2013 11:23 PM

Ran over one of our dogs year and a half ago or so, Was in the tractor and the dogs always light to **** around under there when i'm driving, So thought all was normal, But i guess it didn't go that well for him.. Was a good dog for sure, But the little bastard always nipped at my heels when i'd hop out of the truck or something..

Pretty off topic but we also had a cocker spaniel named sam, Have both his eyes slit out by some *****h0le. Like to spit some beech nut in that dudes eye and shoot him with my ol' 45!

May have read about it in the bowden paper a few years ago, It happened on the farm just between Bowden and Olds AB.

Lone_Wolf 03-25-2013 11:55 PM

Thankfully, I have not.

Years ago I was horseback riding with my parents and a few other people, moving some cattle down a gravel road. We had our dogs with us, all three were trained cattle dogs. A gravel truck was coming towards us so the lead rider signaled him to slow down as we got ourselves into the ditch. Upon being signaled to slow down the trucker began rapidly accelerating towards us. One of our dogs was standing on the side of the road and the trucker swerved towards him. The dog struck the bumper.

The gravel truck sped away and I was certain our dog was dead. He was about thirty feet down in the opposite ditch, but was alright! He was badly shaken up but was not injure. What saved him must have been the larger bumper that slightly curved around the edge of the tire. That kept the dog from being ran over, and instead it threw him into the ditch.

That event really bothered me and since then I haven't been comfortable having my dogs anywhere around a road. They never roam and stay close to the house, and only go near a road when with someone but it still makes me uncomfortable.

338Bluff 03-26-2013 12:03 AM

I gave the neighbors dog a bump once. Rolled him but he managed to scoot off with a third degree road rash. Felt terrible until I found out he would be ok. He was a good dog. Some cats have not been so lucky.

I did flatten a coyote a few winters back on the way out to fish Blood Indian. Surprised the heck out of me and in a second he was underneath the truck. From the sound of the hit I would have thought there was some damage, but all I could find was where the road salt and grime got buffed off the chrome. Hide was not worth saving.

kodiak338 03-26-2013 12:46 AM

Years ago my girlfriend at the time and I had gone to her mom's place for Christmas eve dinner on an acreage. Later on that evening as we were pulling out of the yard to go home, her mom and boyfriend were standing on the porch waving goodbye and her little dog ran off the porch and slipped down the icy hill and under my rear wheel. There was nothing I could do but watch it happen and see the facial expression on her mom's face as she started to bawl. She knew it was an accident and after we dealt the deceased dog her mom invited me back into the house and we shared a couple whisky. It was not a good xmas.

TreeGuy 03-26-2013 06:38 AM

Crappy deal, Lefty. You did nothing wrong, and I commend you on your actions post-incident.

Some tough stories to read here.

Personally, I'm an ex-country boy / ex-cyclist, so tire biting pooches rank fairly low on my list. Probably the main reason I'm not a 'dog person' even though I've had one pretty much my entire life.....

Alberta Bigbore 03-26-2013 06:47 AM

Ive been there.

Ive hit more deer driving tractor trailer than i can remember. Ive hit coyotes and owls. Only once have I ever hit a dog that was a personal pet. I was turnpiking to calgary on an evening shift. When past millet...a black lab chasing a cat across the highway bolted out of the darkness. Pulling 60,000 pounds of beer in one trailer and god knows what was in the rear trailer that day... i wasnt about to spill a load forward by braking from 100km/hr. That dog went under my drives... and must have stayed under the rig
for a good 10 seconds before i could see it launch out after hitting my rear trailers front boggies. In the headlights behind me.

Wasnt a great feeling... but sometimes what can u do?

Pincherguy 03-26-2013 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lone_Wolf (Post 1904256)
Thankfully, I have not.

Years ago I was horseback riding with my parents and a few other people, moving some cattle down a gravel road. We had our dogs with us, all three were trained cattle dogs. A gravel truck was coming towards us so the lead rider signaled him to slow down as we got ourselves into the ditch. Upon being signaled to slow down the trucker began rapidly accelerating towards us. One of our dogs was standing on the side of the road and the trucker swerved towards him. The dog struck the bumper.

The gravel truck sped away and I was certain our dog was dead. He was about thirty feet down in the opposite ditch, but was alright! He was badly shaken up but was not injure. What saved him must have been the larger bumper that slightly curved around the edge of the tire. That kept the dog from being ran over, and instead it threw him into the ditch.

That event really bothered me and since then I haven't been comfortable having my dogs anywhere around a road. They never roam and stay close to the house, and only go near a road when with someone but it still makes me uncomfortable.

What an A hole, I hope he gets his one day if he hasn't already, glad the pup made it.

Pincherguy 03-26-2013 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore (Post 1904329)
Ive been there.

Ive hit more deer driving tractor trailer than i can remember. Ive hit coyotes and owls. Only once have I ever hit a dog that was a personal pet. I was turnpiking to calgary on an evening shift. When past millet...a black lab chasing a cat across the highway bolted out of the darkness. Pulling 60,000 pounds of beer in one trailer and god knows what was in the rear trailer that day... i wasnt about to spill a load forward by braking from 100km/hr. That dog went under my drives... and must have stayed under the rig
for a good 10 seconds before i could see it launch out after hitting my rear trailers front boggies. In the headlights behind me.

Not much you can do pulling a pike, rocky, and specially the wiggle wagons. Too much stuff to go sideways if you jerk on it too hard. I don't even take my foot off the accelerator. I disingaage the cruise thats all.

Pincherguy 03-26-2013 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore (Post 1904329)
Ive been there.

Not much you can do pulling a pike, rocky, and specially the wiggle wagons. Too much stuff to go sideways if you jerk on it too hard. I don't even take my foot off the accelerator. I disingage the cruise thats all. No sense killing yourself or somebody else over an animal.

rhuntley12 03-26-2013 08:34 AM

Never hit one myself. When I was a kid our dog got out without us knowing and a teenager hit it then went door to door looking for the owner, which is impressive.

Neighbors dog when I was younger was a nasty little thing, I ran it over on my bike before, it tried to bite my bike and went through the spokes. Also was hit by numerous cars and wouldn't die.

CaberTosser 03-26-2013 08:49 AM

I wasn't driving, but I was the person a growing pup was running across the road to see when it was struck by a car on an icy residential road. I was a 12-13 year old paperboy at the time and it was a customers dog that I would always pet when I encountered it. I had just finished collecting for their subscription and was across the street when one of their daughters opened the door and the pooch bolted to come see me again. It was clipped behind the neck and ran around for a bit but slowed significantly quickly as the gash in its neck took effect. Not a happy time for me as I blamed myself at the time. It was a golden lab.

Zorehor 03-26-2013 09:29 AM

3 times I have hit dogs, and all three times the dog survived. The worst one was when I was about 10 riding a ten speed bike t-boned him ended up going over the handle bars and got road rash on the face. :sign0176:

Sooner 03-26-2013 10:19 AM

You did nothing wrong Lefty yet you are left with the burden. Good on you for doing what you did. I have not hit a dog but have had one of mine hit. She ws 2 and it was when we found out she could climb a chain link fence. Hit right in frt of our house. I was hunting, wife was out getting groceries. The person who hit her kept going, the next in line loaded her up and took her down the block to the vet. 13 yrs later and she is still going. Needed a pin in her back leg to fix her up. The person who picked her up didnt leave a contact name or number. It's too bad as I would have liked to re pay them for the huge favor they did for me. Tough one for sure but Karma just went in your bank.