Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Wish I could hunt in JNP (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=330759)

teledogs 10-04-2017 07:48 PM

Wish I could hunt in JNP

I am hearing Parks is closing the Celestine Lake area for a hunt next week for a lucky few aboriginal people. Man would I love to hunt that area. Good luck on the hunt and enjoy this special privilege.

3 bulls 3 rams and 3 deer is what they can get.

The Cook 10-04-2017 08:06 PM

Don't forget your spotlight.

walking buffalo 10-04-2017 08:14 PM

Banff will be next. It is in the planning stage.

pikergolf 10-04-2017 08:40 PM

Anyone have a link for this?

Newview01 10-04-2017 08:43 PM

Are they using handmade bows and arrows, hunting in traditional clothing, to make pemmican?

Hooter 10-04-2017 08:44 PM

Why wouldn't this be offered as a lottery hunt like the Minister's Tag so that any resident hunter could have the opportunity to take part in this hunt while raising conservation funds at the same time? Between the Suffield hunt and now this I'm starting to really get frustrated with the "special" treatment of certain groups. All Alberta residents should have the same opportunity to partake in something like this.

I'll admit this is the first I've heard of it, so I'm completely ignorant as to the reasoning or rationale behind the hunt, but this doesn't pass the smell test in my opinion.

teledogs 10-04-2017 08:51 PM

So far I have heard it is a rifle hunt and the Celestine road will be opened to accommodate vehicles. It is a 6 day hunt.

It was also in the news that aboriginal hunters will be used to control the Buffalo that Banff has reintroduced should their numbers get too high.

I agree that hunts like this would be great for all of us to have a chance at.

walking buffalo 10-04-2017 09:00 PM

CBC recently ran an article on the Banff hunt.

This was not just for buffalo, not just for hunting.
Don't be surprised if you come across an active native village that hasn't existed for many moons.

Our National Parks are accepting that Aboriginal people are part of the natural landscape, they are to be re-introduced just as buffalo were.

Sorry Hooter, According to Parks Canada, if you don't have a Treaty card you are Not part of Nature.
No access for you.

Hooter 10-04-2017 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walking buffalo (Post 3636549)
CBC recently ran an article on the Banff hunt.
Sorry Hooter, According to Parks Canada, if you don't have a Treaty card you are Not part of Nature.
No access for you.

WB, not sure how I should take this comment. I have a clear understanding that there's no access (aka opportunity) for me because I don't have a treaty card, and yes, frankly I completely disagree with that. Would it not make sense to kill 2 birds with 1 stone (I.e. Raise conservation money and let ALL Alberta residents have the opportunity to do this)?

At the end of the day I just don't think it's fair.

3blade 10-04-2017 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walking buffalo (Post 3636507)
Banff will be next. It is in the planning stage.

Thought banff had already happened? Wasn't there a treaty elk hunt a few years back?

IMO this crap has gone far enough. Wonder what the public response would have to be to change things....

walking buffalo 10-04-2017 09:21 PM

I agree with you Hooter.

Canada Parks doesn't.

-----

Blade, yes there has been Treaty hunting in Banff before.

This will become common, and not just for herd reduction purposes. The Jasper hunt is to set precedent and protocol. It has nothing to do with conservation or wildlife management.

Slicktricker 10-04-2017 09:24 PM

Wouldn't be much of a hunt the animals are so used to vehicles and what not I'd rather take a rag horn 5x5 that I worked my ass of for then a record book that was easy

walking buffalo 10-04-2017 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slicktricker (Post 3636572)
Wouldn't be much of a hunt the animals are so used to vehicles and what not I'd rather take a rag horn 5x5 that I worked my ass of for then a record book that was easy

This is NOT about record books, quality of hunt or even about getting meat.

This is about Aboriginal rights to access and use National Parks lands.
This is a power play to the eventual passing of control of these lands.

Hooter 10-04-2017 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walking buffalo (Post 3636568)
I agree with you Hooter.

Canada Parks doesn't.

-----

Blade, yes there has been Treaty hunting in Banff before.

This will become common, and not just for herd reduction purposes. The Jasper hunt is to set precedent and protocol. It has nothing to do with conservation or wildlife management.

I can honestly say I've had enough of this, especially if this hunt will set a precedence. Who would I need to contact to express my concerns? This is something that I will take the initiative to undertake because this is a VERY slippery slope.

heretohunt 10-04-2017 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hooter (Post 3636584)
I can honestly say I've had enough of this, especially if this hunt will set a precedence. Who would I need to contact to express my concerns? This is something that I will take the initiative to undertake because this is a VERY slippery slope.

Just relax guys, I am sure there our liberal government and NDP will get together and make this fair. They definitely don't want to be seen as prejudice in today's day and age. They will offer the rest of us a non-native only hunt. You will see.

dave99 10-04-2017 09:50 PM

I live in JNP and have heard nothing about this. Please post a link or source.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teledogs 10-04-2017 09:58 PM

I can't say names but from someone in PC system.

It's also mentioned on the Jasper FB page.

Hooter 10-04-2017 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heretohunt (Post 3636598)
Just relax guys, I am sure there our liberal government and NDP will get together and make this fair. They definitely don't want to be seen as prejudice in today's day and age. They will offer the rest of us a non-native only hunt. You will see.

🤣 I'll get my gear packed and wait for the call.....

FinnDawg 10-04-2017 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walking buffalo (Post 3636583)
This is NOT about record books, quality of hunt or even about getting meat.

This is about Aboriginal rights to access and use National Parks lands.
This is a power play to the eventual passing of control of these lands.

Do you have a reference for this?

bigwolf 10-04-2017 10:08 PM

We teach our kids segregation is a bad thing... yet here we are, having goverment segregated hunts. Hard to explain this to the kids...

KBF 10-04-2017 10:10 PM

I feel discriminated against.

wildwoods 10-04-2017 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigwolf (Post 3636625)
We teach our kids segregation is a bad thing... yet here we are, having goverment segregated hunts. Hard to explain this to the kids...

Oops...

wildwoods 10-04-2017 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FinnDawg (Post 3636617)
Do you have a reference for this?

WB is the reference.

Don K 10-04-2017 10:32 PM

What a joke... I can't retire fast enough, tired of giving tax money to support this crap.

Hooter 10-04-2017 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don K (Post 3636663)
What a joke... I can't retire fast enough, tired of giving tax money to support this crap.

Unfortunately I still have 15 years to contribute to this 💩.......

3blade 10-04-2017 11:04 PM

Confirmed.

I dont know whether to laugh or cry. There's some parks panties twisted and phones blowing up right now. Apparently this reeeaaaalllyy wasn't supposed to get out, they are doing their best to squash it on FB.

Hey WB, you getting the same messages? Lol. Oops :)

Highcountry 10-04-2017 11:30 PM

I say an active protest about this kind of crap!! Let's shut down a hiway and get the media involved that's the only way people are actually going to see what kind of back door bull **** goes on

3blade 10-04-2017 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Highcountry (Post 3636715)
I say an active protest about this kind of crap!! Let's shut down a hiway and get the media involved that's the only way people are actually going to see what kind of back door bull **** goes on

If AFGA took an interest, they potentially have the membership numbers to make some politicians sweat. Sounds like some within ABHA may have known, but that's not a surprise given who operates there.

Public pressure certainly worked with Suffield, if a little late.

Contact your MP. The provincial govt will deny any knowledge of federal policy until well after the fact, and do their very best not to get involved.

270person 10-04-2017 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walking buffalo (Post 3636549)
Our National Parks are accepting that Aboriginal people are part of the natural landscape, they are to be re-introduced just as buffalo were.

Hopefully the same rules apply as for the wildlife. No handouts.

1Heavyhitr 10-05-2017 01:00 AM

What a joke.