Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Guns & Ammo Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Anyone interested in a project (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=407909)

huntinstuff 01-25-2022 07:26 PM

Anyone interested in a project

Winchester 3030 regular loop

Anyone wanna fab up a large loop?

Just cut my existing loop, make and weld a new large loop on it.?

I will reblue it etc. I just need a welder to fab a bigger loop. You decide where to cut it etc.

Doesnt have to win any awards. Im about function, not beauty.

Let me know. Local would be nice because if i had to ship the rifle, i may as well just buy one.

Of course ill pay you.

fordtruckin 01-25-2022 07:51 PM

Just curious why you don’t want to buy one?? Assuming your Winchester is a 94 they are around 110$.

graham1 01-25-2022 07:54 PM

If I was closer I’d be happy to do it for you.
I’ve been thinking of doing the same to my marlin 336.

Twisted Canuck 01-25-2022 07:59 PM

I'd do it for you. I'm gonna be down your way in a few weeks, I can pick it up. And drop off some .300 brass and a bag of coffee I owe you.....?

huntinstuff 01-25-2022 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fordtruckin (Post 4476496)
Just curious why you don’t want to buy one?? Assuming your Winchester is a 94 they are around 110$.

They are over $200 in canada from what ive seen on the google.

Id rather.pay an AO member to fab one than buy one.....i prefer my money goes to an AO member if possible

sns2 01-26-2022 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck (Post 4476500)
I'd do it for you. I'm gonna be down your way in a few weeks, I can pick it up. And drop off some .300 brass and a bag of coffee I owe you.....?

I have some 30 cal 165 accubonds for him too. Remind me. My noggin doesn’t remember too good.

huntinstuff 01-26-2022 09:38 AM

Looks like i have a taker

Thank you for your interest!

Kawibunga 01-26-2022 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntinstuff (Post 4476679)
Looks like i have a taker

Thank you for your interest!

Pics of the finished product when complete or it didn't happen! :)

The engineering nerd in me says it would cool to 3D print a couple profiles for you to try, then water jet and mill the favourite one. Outside the scope of work you asked for, but has me thinking........

Twisted Canuck 01-26-2022 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kawibunga (Post 4476681)

The engineering nerd in me says it would cool to 3D print a couple profiles for you to try, then water jet and mill the favourite one. Outside the scope of work you asked for, but has me thinking........

That's actually a really good idea.

huntinstuff 01-26-2022 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kawibunga (Post 4476681)

Lol

I dont even know what that means...

Kawibunga 01-26-2022 10:20 AM

Ya thanks, slowly getting setup on the side to do just this sort of thing. Not quite there yet. Designing & building downhole tools for O&G has paid the bills for the last 25 years, but always thought putting that skillset to use to help people out for hobbies & interests I enjoy would be way more fun! I'll let you know when I'm there but this sort of thing would be perfect.

But very cool to see the finished product you guys come up with. Sure it will be highly functional and awesome!

huntinstuff 01-26-2022 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kawibunga (Post 4476706)
Ya thanks, slowly getting setup on the side to do just this sort of thing. Not quite there yet. Designing & building downhole tools for O&G has paid the bills for the last 25 years, but always thought putting that skillset to use to help people out for hobbies & interests I enjoy would be way more fun! I'll let you know when I'm there but this sort of thing would be perfect.

But very cool to see the finished product you guys come up with. Sure it will be highly functional and awesome!

Do you mean theres a printer that can build a large loop?

Kawibunga 01-26-2022 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntinstuff (Post 4476713)
Do you mean theres a printer that can build a large loop?

No not really (unless you have NASA money for a high end steel printer). But you could build prototype shapes out of hard plastic and fit them up to see what shapes one would like best. Then turn around and create the exact same part out of steel, knowing you had the shape and dimensions correct.

Allows one to create a bunch of iterations of a design cheap like, test the fit and ergonomics. Then build the final "expensive" part out of steel.

huntinstuff 01-26-2022 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kawibunga (Post 4476727)
No not really (unless you have NASA money for a high end steel printer). But you could build prototype shapes out of hard plastic and fit them up to see what shapes one would like best. Then turn around and create the exact same part out of steel, knowing you had the shape and dimensions correct.

Allows one to create a bunch of iterations of a design cheap like, test the fit and ergonomics. Then build the final "expensive" part out of steel.

Gotcha. Thank you for all that info. Learned something new and i appreciate it