Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Trapping Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Snare supplies in red deer (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=312207)

hard_azz 01-10-2017 10:18 PM

Snare supplies in red deer

Well my 5 year old has decided that he wants to learn to be a trapper (has watched way to many episodes of mountain men) and I told him that we could go out to my parents farm and try to snare some rabbits. I know there is a good population there and the snow should make it easy enough to spot a trail. While I have grown up hunting and fishing, I am completely inexperienced at trapping much more than mice that seem to put the fear of God into my wife. I have done alot of research and feel confident in the basics of setting a few different types of sets. I'm just wondering if there is anywhere near red deer that would carry the equipment to build half a dozen snares for this little adventure. I have been in wolverine multiple times but have never really been on the hunt for snare equipment. Any and all help is welcomed with an open mind

HunterDave 01-10-2017 11:27 PM

I don't know what stores are in Red Deer but I wouldn't think that it'd be too hard to find some 22 gauge brass wire somewhere. Do you have a Home Depot? Good luck and have fun! :)

pikeslayer22 01-11-2017 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HunterDave (Post 3440096)
I don't know what stores are in Red Deer but I wouldn't think that it'd be too hard to find some 22 gauge brass wire somewhere. Do you have a Home Depot? Good luck and have fun! :)

Crappy Tire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marty S 01-11-2017 08:55 AM

We are supposed to be boycotting them

NCC 01-11-2017 12:03 PM

There's a trapping store in Rocky on the north end of town between Sobey's and highway 11.

GStyler 01-11-2017 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty S (Post 3440216)
We are supposed to be boycotting them

There aren't a lot of trapping supplies sold there. I would think an exception could be made when purchasing trapping supplies. Once you catch something, post photos to facebook and be sure to credit can tire as the retailer that sold you the supplies.

TrapperMike 01-11-2017 10:39 PM

Trapped rabbits for local butcher shops in Quebec as a youngster. Used gold coloured copper wire used to hang pictures. Can be bought at most hardware, craft or general stores. Have fun.

hard_azz 01-12-2017 09:34 AM

Well we got it all sorted out. Picked up some 20 gauge brass wire and built ourselves 10 snares last night. We loader our back pack last night and he is extremely excited. I will put up some pics Monday hopefully with some good results

Tfng 01-12-2017 09:55 AM

Good luck!

Big Grey Wolf 01-12-2017 10:23 AM

I like GStyler,s approach, always credit Canadian Tire when we buy some supplies from their store for our excellent fur harvest.

hard_azz 01-15-2017 09:39 PM

Successful weekend!!!

1 Attachment(s)
Well we connected on some nice rabbits!! The look on my boys face was worth 1000 words. I saw the first one from a ways back and sent him up ahead to check it and when he saw the that we were successful I thought he was gonna pass out. We put out 12 sets over night and connected on 3 while missing on 2 that were triggered. I want to thank everyone for their advice/help. Really warms a father's heart to see his little boy with so much joy.

Tfng 01-15-2017 09:42 PM

Great! He'll remember that forever, good for you!

hard_azz 01-15-2017 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tfng (Post 3444346)
Great! He'll remember that forever, good for you!

Thanks! He couldn't wait to tell his mom and I'm sure tomorrow morning at school will be quite the event with his buddies

TrapperMike 01-15-2017 11:06 PM

Good for you and your son. Something you will remember and talk about for years to come. Should make some awesome stew.

guysmiley 01-16-2017 11:16 AM

Good for you getting him out to have some winter fun.