Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fly-Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   kootenies in Spring (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=375060)

foothillzman 01-10-2020 03:21 PM

kootenies in Spring

Hey guys
looking to hit whiteswan, whitetail, premiere and maybe even some bass on May long. I was wondering if they are all thawed and in good fishing shape by then. Ive never been, and whiteswan looks like its at elevation perhaps.

The regs look like a gas motor may be allowed on whiteswan amd premiere, electric only on whitetail?

My wife would like to fire up a power site for the rv, has anyone stayed at a nice
rv park in the canal flats area that has full power?

thanks a tonne

Mr Flyguy 01-14-2020 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foothillzman (Post 4089316)
Hey guys
looking to hit whiteswan, whitetail, premiere and maybe even some bass on May long. I was wondering if they are all thawed and in good fishing shape by then. Ive never been, and whiteswan looks like its at elevation perhaps.

The regs look like a gas motor may be allowed on whiteswan amd premiere, electric only on whitetail?

My wife would like to fire up a power site for the rv, has anyone stayed at a nice
rv park in the canal flats area that has full power?

thanks a tonne

Do you mean the Kootenays?

Red Bullets 01-14-2020 01:36 PM

Whiteswan will probably still be iced over in May.

I don't know the current regs. Cutthroat, rainbows and dollies in the rivers might be a possibility around Cranbrook area. The south end of Windermere lake is shallow, warms up first, and could be ok for largemouth bass in May.

foothillzman 01-14-2020 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Bullets (Post 4092094)
Whiteswan will probably still be iced over in May.

I don't know the current regs. Cutthroat, rainbows and dollies in the rivers might be a possibility around Cranbrook area. The south end of Windermere lake is shallow, warms up first, and could be ok for largemouth bass in May.

thanks so much!

Parker Hale 01-15-2020 07:34 AM

Sent you a pm foothillzman.

foothillzman 01-21-2020 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parker Hale (Post 4092524)
Sent you a pm foothillzman.

thanks man

Kingfisher 01-29-2020 12:06 AM

Whiteswan will probably be frozen still. It's pretty high up. Premier isn't as high up. However it is shaded in by the mountains to the east. So it won't warm up. Mind you it just froze over just after Christmas this year. So there might not be a lot of ice to melt off this year. It really depends on how cold February is.

Whitetail can be hit or miss.

As for a place to stay. There is a trailer park at Dutch Creek. However, I'm not sure if they have any weekend spaces. Or if it is only seasonal sites. I'm sure there is someone here that knows more.

There are some lakes farther south that might be better for what you are looking for. Lake Koocanusa has some great camping sites around it. It is farther south. So the lakes in that region will be more likely to be thawed and open for fishing.

Parker Hale 01-29-2020 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foothillzman (Post 4096839)
thanks man

Did you get my last reply? My computer was having trouble that day so I wasn't sure it went through.

foothillzman 02-06-2020 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parker Hale (Post 4101407)
Did you get my last reply? My computer was having trouble that day so I wasn't sure it went through.

Hey man
just PMd ya...