Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Guns & Ammo Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Buy / Sell question, pricing on NIB items (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=58967)

FallAirFever 05-04-2010 03:47 PM

Buy / Sell question, pricing on NIB items

I have a buddy who won a rifle and scope at the Phesants forever dinner last week. He will be putting it up for sale as soon as he gets his hands on it to fund a new bow.

My question is what is a good asking price for something like this that is has never been used and is still new in the box? He wants to price for a quick sale but wants to get a fair price for it. Is it better to sell as a package or split the scope and rifle up?

Thanks for your help!

diamonddave 05-04-2010 03:51 PM

Need to know some more specifics please....

Canuck44 05-04-2010 03:59 PM

i'd say split them up (rifle/scope) and ask 85% of new price, any more and most people would rather buy from the store. If its some oddball combo he may have to discount it a bit more.

elkhunter11 05-04-2010 06:44 PM

I depends on how common the rifle is,more details would help.

FallAirFever 05-05-2010 09:22 AM

Details

The rifle is a Remington 700 CDL SF (Stainless / Fluted) chambered in .270.
The Scope is a Leupold VXII 3-9 x 40mm.
I know there is also a case, I am not 100% sure if the scope is mounted and if it is what kind of rings were used.
He picks it up tomorrow so until then I dont know if there are any special markings or anything.
Thanks for your help so far guys!

gunner72 05-05-2010 10:25 AM

looks like it would cost around 1500$ at WWS with the rings and bases

CaberTosser 05-05-2010 02:34 PM

Thats a nice rifle, I'd not be parting with it personally; though a bit more scope might be to my preference. He must really want that bow. I think he'll it sell faster individually, as I've noticed that with some rifles I was selling; I tended to get more interest on the individual pieces rather than the packages. It seem to me that lots of fellows have guns and are looking for glass, or vice-versa.

FallAirFever 05-05-2010 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaberTosser (Post 580930)
Thats a nice rifle, I'd not be parting with it personally; though a bit more scope might be to my preference. He must really want that bow. I think he'll it sell faster individually, as I've noticed that with some rifles I was selling; I tended to get more interest on the individual pieces rather than the packages. It seem to me that lots of fellows have guns and are looking for glass, or vice-versa.

Thanks, I was hoping to hear from you as I know you do some gun selling and buying, I appreciate your feedback.
Yes he REALLY wants a new bow (If you saw what he was shooting now you would understand ;)) And he has an older remi 270 that does the trick, hes not a big gun gun.

Besides here and Gunnutz where would you reccomend trying to sell it?

CaberTosser 05-05-2010 09:29 PM

Here and Gunnutz would likely be the best spots to try, unless he can somehow wrangle a trade-in on it at WSS for the bow. I don't know how they handle such things there:confused:. I do know that consigning things at gun shops is usually a slow sales process ( of course depending on the popularity of the piece, I've also had some things sell quick; but they were fairly desireable items). I consigned a few pieces before, but now I'm a bit more comfortable with handling the transactions myself. The fee's associated with consignment are a bit much for my tastes.

I'd actually picked up the same rifle in .30-06 for my son, but he's a fair # of years from receiving it.