Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   face masks (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=390939)

artie 11-24-2020 10:48 AM

face masks

I thought the masks the government handed out in the spring were pretty good
They had a wire in them to form around your nose to stop your glasses from fogging up.
So yesterday I bought a box of 3 ply made in China masks and they have a piece of plastic instead of the wire and they do not form around your nose very well.
So what I am saying is beware of what type of masks you buy

liar 11-24-2020 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by artie (Post 4274221)
I thought the masks the government handed out in the spring were pretty good
They had a wire in them to form around your nose to stop your glasses from fogging up.
So yesterday I bought a box of 3 ply made in China masks and they have a piece of plastic instead of the wire and they do not form around your nose very well.
So what I am saying is beware of what type of masks you buy

Good point , dont buy stuff "made in china"!

Big Grey Wolf 11-26-2020 09:59 AM

mask

Best/safe mask is sold by Rexall on line. It was developed in Canada and had a 99% effective rate that killed virus. It protects both the person wearing mask and others. Even better than N95 mask that does not kill virus.

MountainTi 11-26-2020 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf (Post 4275639)
Best/safe mask is sold by Rexall on line. It was developed in Canada and had a 99% effective rate that killed virus. It protects both the person wearing mask and others. Even better than N95 mask that does not kill virus.

How does it kill virus's?

fishnguy 11-26-2020 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf (Post 4275639)

Do you have a link? I can’t find them. Looking to buy some masks.

elkhunter11 11-26-2020 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MountainTi (Post 4275647)

Exactly what I would like to know?

MountainTi 11-26-2020 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elkhunter11 (Post 4275656)

Soak it in bleach?

58thecat 11-26-2020 10:31 AM

Lysol....spray'em after you use'em....hang to dry...

FearNoFish 11-26-2020 10:44 AM

Check here first if you are using imported KN95

https://healthycanadians.gc.ca/recal...73137a-eng.php

I found this mask at Hazmasters and its German made https://www.hazmasters.com/products/...v?page=3&q=N95

obsessed1 11-26-2020 10:47 AM

I just keep a bandana around my neck. Pull it over nose when mask is needed. Buy three and throw them in the wash every day. The amount of throw away masks littered on the ground is staggering. Pretty soon folks will be complaining about the masks at the bottom of the ocean lol....

fishnguy 11-26-2020 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by obsessed1 (Post 4275673)
I just keep a bandana around my neck. Pull it over nose when mask is needed. Buy three and throw them in the wash every day. The amount of throw away masks littered on the ground is staggering. Pretty soon folks will be complaining about the masks at the bottom of the ocean lol....

Tried that, but find it pretty uncomfortable. Regular procedure masks, on the other hand, I can wear for hours without discomfort. So looking for something made of good cloth that can replace these paper masks for me.

What are you all wearing?

sweld 11-26-2020 11:06 AM

I use a buff. Pretty much the same as a bandana. Just pull it up when I need to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Grey Wolf 11-26-2020 11:09 AM

Rexall mask

The Rexall mask is sold online through "Well.ca" Although the Quebec Biotec company have a 12 page patent it uses 'iodine' to kill the covid virus. It was tested at University of Toronto in their level 3 lab. The mask is called Triomed, they come at 5 to pkge for around $9.

urban rednek 11-26-2020 11:10 AM

People never gonna learn

Quote:

Originally Posted by FearNoFish (Post 4275669)
Check here first if you are using imported KN95

https://healthycanadians.gc.ca/recal...73137a-eng.php

I found this mask at Hazmasters and its German made https://www.hazmasters.com/products/...v?page=3&q=N95

Good link. Not surprised to see a common theme in the list of manufacturers. :rolleye2:

fordtruckin 11-26-2020 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by obsessed1 (Post 4275673)

Right! People complaining about straws and coffee cups yet I’ve seen way more masks flying around parking lots than either of those lately. People are pigs!

Southab 11-26-2020 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elkhunter11 (Post 4275656)

Especially seeing as a virus is non-living.

Grizzly Adams 11-26-2020 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MountainTi (Post 4275647)

We're being fed a lot of BS, same with sanitizer. Everybody sees an opportunity and it doesn't always work in our favor.

Grizz

Big Grey Wolf 11-26-2020 11:29 AM

Ford/Obsessed, I do not recommend the bandana as mask, very porus. The covid virus around 0.5 micron. Cotton t shirt fabric though will catch about 70% of virus. I did bunch of research on masks, trying to develop my own, then when "Triomed" mask came out realized I had been out classed by them.

fordtruckin 11-26-2020 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf (Post 4275710)
Ford, I do not recommend the bandana as mask, very porus. The covid virus around 0.5 micron. Cotton t shirt fabric though will catch about 70% of virus. I did bunch of research on masks, trying to develop my own, then when "Triomed" mask came out realized I had been out classed by them.

I’ll have to look into them. I wear buffs at work and due to the nature of my work sooner or later I’ll encounter or have already encountered someone with Covid. I just do what I can to keep my hands clean and practice proper hygiene. No matter what I do sooner or later I figure I’ll probably get the bug. Occupational hazard of being in a emergency service/first responder line of work.

sk270 11-26-2020 11:38 AM

Good thing you guys live in Alberta. Saskatchewan Health specifically says that bandanas and gaitors are not acceptable where masks are required.

elkhunter11 11-26-2020 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf (Post 4275686)
The Rexall mask is sold online through "Well.ca" Although the Quebec Biotec company have a 12 page patent it uses 'iodine' to kill the covid virus. It was tested at University of Toronto in their level 3 lab. The mask is called Triomed, they come at 5 to pkge for around $9.

I read the article below, and their claims can easily be misunderstood.

https://www.healthing.ca/news/u-of-t...rs-cov-2-virus

This statement caught my attention.

Quote:

“But also, if someone was beside me and they were infected and they talked to me and it got on the outside of my mask, or if my hands were contaminated and I touch my mask, then it should deactivate that. It should in theory, have a protective effect.”
In other words, their tests haven't proven that it kills 99% of the virus particles that you might inhale, in theory, they say, it can kill what actually gets trapped in the mask.

Scottmisfits 11-26-2020 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sk270 (Post 4275722)
Good thing you guys live in Alberta. Saskatchewan Health specifically says that bandanas and gaitors are not acceptable where masks are required.

When I walked in to one site, that's what they handed us, spandex style buffs. my masks have come from 7-11 stores. They are $ each and I have a few of them so I can change them out. These days I find myself going out very little so I wear them for 10-45 minutes. They come off and get washed.

sweld 11-26-2020 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sk270 (Post 4275722)

Alberta just says masks or face coverings

MountainTi 11-26-2020 12:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by sweld (Post 4275740)
Alberta just says masks or face coverings

This should be acceptable for a Tinder date then Talking moose.

Attachment 169042

obsessed1 11-26-2020 12:32 PM

Quote:

Ford/Obsessed, I do not recommend the bandana as mask, very porus. The covid virus around 0.5 micron. Cotton t shirt fabric though will catch about 70% of virus. I did bunch of research on masks, trying to develop my own, then when "Triomed" mask came out realized I had been out classed by them.

fortunately I don't care what you think about it. Government claims they work just as well and I don't have the money to buy throw away masks for myself/ wife and 6 kids. All those throw aways tossed all over the parking lots are an eye sore.

wannabe 11-26-2020 12:56 PM

The mask idea is good. The masks themselves are garbage. I took one of the disposable blue ones to work with me one day. After sweeping out the shop i blew my nose and the kleenex was full of dirt. If people think these masks or homemade ones are going to stop a .1 micron particle you're fooling yourself. Look at the outbreaks in Calgary and Edmonton and nursing homes across the country.

I do wear a mask wherever i go that requires a mask. It's not hard to put a mask on. Sure they fog up glasses but they do not restrict any airflow.

When the crap actually hits the fan i have 2 half-mask respirators that actually seal around your mouth and nose. I can get cartridges that will actually filter down to .1 micron.

Fyi. Some N95 masks are 95% effective on microns .3 and larger. They will not filter out covid-19. But if someone infected sneezes in your face it's better than nothing.

There are too many people that think a mask will protect me 100%. They become complacent.

RandyBoBandy 11-26-2020 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MountainTi (Post 4275751)
This should be acceptable for a Tinder date then Talking moose.

Attachment 169042

That IS TalkingMoose :sHa_sarcasticlol:

wannabe 11-26-2020 12:59 PM

Quote:

Covid 19 is 0.12 microns.
Cotton fabric will not catch any of the virus unless it's mixed in with mucous or spit then the fabric will catch some of it.

sk270 11-26-2020 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by obsessed1 (Post 4275757)
Government claims they work just as well

No one thinks that bandanas work as well as proper masks. Some government agencies, such as Alberta's, allow bandanas as well as masks. Others, such as Saskatchewan's, do not. The research is clear, however, that neck gaiters and bandanas are not as good as masks. https://ncceh.ca/documents/guide/mas...id-19-pandemic

Quote:

Originally Posted by wannabe (Post 4275788)
Covid 19 is 0.12 microns.
Cotton fabric will not catch any of the virus unless it's mixed in with mucous or spit then the fabric will catch some of it.

Almost all viruses are expelled on fomites and cloth masks have turned out to be quite good at trapping them. Some cloth masks are also relatively good at stopping the particles before they can be inhaled.

TrapperMike 11-26-2020 03:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Bought one of those clear plastic face shields from amazon. Keeps me safe and people can see my facial expressions. Also individuals who are hard of hearing can read my lips. To clean just wash with Lysol and let dry.