Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Spotting Scope Info (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=144223)

Remi3006 08-10-2012 05:10 PM

Spotting Scope Info

Loooking at buying a new spotting scope and have it narrowed down to these two units... Looking for input and suggestions on what you guys think is the better buy. Both are very close in $ range and both units seem very clear, the Zeiss is more compact which is always nice.

Vortex Razor HD 20-60x85
Zeiss T FL85 Victory (last years model)

Cheers!

BackPackHunter 08-10-2012 05:23 PM

the one that feels best to you
put them side by side, and see what one feel better to you

go to the store just before dark and get them to take it to the doors or outside and have a look around

mtnhunter 08-10-2012 06:08 PM

For glass quality I agree with BPH that you should test them both at the stores looking outside in low light conditions.

I would also like to add that it really depends on your type of hunting. If you are looking for a scope that will primarily get used on a window mount, then either will work well. If you are looking for something to go in your pack and to take up some hills/mountains, then the Zeiss would be my personal choice of the two you listed.

BackPackHunter 08-10-2012 09:12 PM

if your going to be packing it around lots, i'd go with 65mm

hunt247 08-11-2012 08:51 AM

Vortex

I have the Vortex HD and it is awesome, my hunting partners have Swarovski and side by side on the mountain its hard to tell the difference. A little on the heavy side but worth it

ishootbambi 08-11-2012 01:21 PM

vortex in the same sentence as zeiss and swarovski. :thinking-006: hmmm.....ok.

hunt247 08-11-2012 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishootbambi (Post 1556721)
vortex in the same sentence as zeiss and swarovski. :thinking-006: hmmm.....ok.

Coming from the guy that just told me to buy $14 trekking sticks instead of $150 ones. Look through both before you say that Swarovski are $1200-$1400 more they ain't worth it

209x50 08-11-2012 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BackPackHunter (Post 1556174)
if your going to be packing it around lots, i'd go with 65mm

I agree. I had the Zeiss 20-60x85mm and sold it and bought the 15-56x65mm Zeiss Diascope. Lighter, smaller more packable and i don't think you give up much.

Remi3006 08-11-2012 08:35 PM

scopes

Thanks for the input guys!

ishootbambi 08-11-2012 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hunt247 (Post 1557022)
Coming from the guy that just told me to buy $14 trekking sticks instead of $150 ones. Look through both before you say that Swarovski are $1200-$1400 more they ain't worth it

with no punctuation in there, im not positive what you are saying.....but it looks as though you completely missed my point. :)

hunt247 08-11-2012 10:00 PM

What it seems, is that you don't believe they should be in the same sentence? Which price wise they shouldn't be but the quality is comparable

hunt247 08-11-2012 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hunt247 (Post 1557022)

I guess what I'm asking is, what are you saying? That they don't belong in the same sentence, price wise no comparison weight is the same and vortex quality is right there.

ishootbambi 08-12-2012 09:59 PM

yup, thats what i thought you meant. and to that i say.....you gotta be joking. vortex is not in the same league as any of the big 3 euro glass. if you want decent optics for a better price, then ok, but dont be so silly as to think they are comparable glass.

i forget which model it is, but there is one at around 700 bucks from vortex. swaro is around 2100ish. there is no doubt that the swaro is better quality.....but you might be able to make the argument that they arent 3 times better to justify the price.....

dadof5 08-12-2012 11:28 PM

New from Swarovski - save up for this cuz it sounds impressive for many reasons, including packability.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...5mm-85mm-95mm/
3k+ though...

jimbos1 08-13-2012 08:28 AM

zeiss

just got my new scope last wk was out on wkend. man the things i can see clear now are amazing. zeiss victory diascope 85t fl straight. i got it with the 20 to 75 eye piece. Ordered it from camera land landed at my door total price 2200 and change. it was a demonstrator model but in mint condition and full warrenty. of course goverment had to get there 59 for taxes and handleing

nimrod 08-13-2012 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dadof5 (Post 1558270)
New from Swarovski - save up for this cuz it sounds impressive for many reasons, including packability.

3k+ though...

Oh great, another change , and more money, but looks great, wonder what the weight is, on these new models.

BackPackHunter 08-13-2012 05:25 PM

Quote:

3k+ though...

well it looks like i will have a mint condition Swarovski 20x60x65 HD with soft case for sale next year....
it never ends!

alces 08-13-2012 07:23 PM

BackPack, let me know if end up selling that scope. I'd be interested

Stinky Coyote 08-13-2012 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BackPackHunter (Post 1558948)
well it looks like i will have a mint condition Swarovski 20x60x65 HD with soft case for sale next year....
it never ends!

Really? The lightest one is 55 plus ounces....not a chance

depopulator 08-14-2012 07:28 AM

Quote:

3k+ though...

Swaro and all optics manufacturers have to keep developing products, but not because of demand or product obsolescence. Contemporary R&D is more about marketing and trying to boondoggle you into believing "new is better." No one can convince me to trade in my STM 65, it does everything I need and more, and packs just fine.

sheephunter 08-14-2012 08:38 AM

Actually advances in coatings and grinding technology are what are driving R&D. No doubt your old glass is good but there's no doubt the new glass is better. It's hardly a marketing boondoggle. Optic quality is improving by leaps and bounds. It's nice to see....pun intended :)

depopulator 08-14-2012 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheephunter (Post 1559770)
Actually advances in coatings and grinding technology are what are driving R&D. No doubt your old glass is good but there's no doubt the new glass is better. It's hardly a marketing boondoggle. Optic quality is improving by leaps and bounds. It's nice to see....pun intended :)

How is it better ? What will a new scope with "advances in coatings and grinding technology" do by "leaps and bounds" that my Swaro STM 65 won't do ? Please educate me

sheephunter 08-14-2012 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by depopulator (Post 1559846)
How is it better ? What will a new scope with "advances in coatings and grinding technology" do by "leaps and bounds" that my Swaro STM 65 won't do ? Please educate me

Take a look through one and it will become pretty obvious that they are clearer and brighter. Not saying you need one or that your old scope isn't up to the task but to say R&D these days is nothing but marketing hype is pure BS. Glass is getting better. Whether you need it or want it is certainly up to you but make no mistake, the new stuff is better. We've seen some other great innovations like increased zoom range. There's lots going on in the optics business to make them better.

Tundra Monkey 08-14-2012 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by depopulator (Post 1559846)
Swaro STM 65 won't do ?

Didn't the STM only come out a year or two ago?? Like....right after I bought my STS HD :mad3:

I think that not too much has changed in that time frame.

depopulator 08-14-2012 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheephunter (Post 1559856)
Take a look through one and it will become pretty obvious that they are clearer and brighter. Not saying you need one or that your old scope isn't up to the task but to say R&D these days is nothing but marketing hype is pure BS. Glass is getting better. Whether you need it or want it is certainly up to you but make no mistake, the new stuff is better. We've seen some other great innovations like increased zoom range. There's lots going on in the optics business to make them better.

In fact I've had ample opportunity to look through the new Swarovision scopes side by side with my STM HD scope on the sheep ranges, and scouting at dusk and dawn for elk, whitetail and mule deer, and nothing became "pretty obvious" about clearer and brighter. The commercials pumping Swarovision are cool though...

sheephunter 08-14-2012 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by depopulator (Post 1559946)
In fact I've had ample opportunity to look through the new Swarovision scopes side by side with my STM HD scope on the sheep ranges, and scouting at dusk and dawn for elk, whitetail and mule deer, and nothing became "pretty obvious" about clearer and brighter. The commercials pumping Swarovision are cool though...

Well, I guess you'll never need anything new then. :)

depopulator 08-14-2012 10:32 AM

Perhaps I'm just less inclined to believe what people/companies tell me I need vs. what I actually need. It's only hunting after all; I'm not exactly searching for a new galaxy or decoding the superman gene :)

sheephunter 08-14-2012 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by depopulator (Post 1559961)
Perhaps I'm just less inclined to believe what people/companies tell me I need vs. what I actually need. It's only hunting after all; I'm not exactly searching for a new galaxy or decoding the superman gene :)

My eyes tell me different but everyone's eyes are different. I pretty much ignore the advertising and what people tell me too and rely on my personal experience. I'm pretty excited about some of the new glass I've seen. The new HT takes things to a new level in my opinion but I'm sure others won't notice or appreciate the difference. I envy them in some ways...I'm sure they have way more money in their bank account.....lol

depopulator 08-14-2012 06:56 PM

HT is new from Zeiss ? Not sure how that new gear would lower your bank account - don't they sponsor you to sell their stuff ? :)

sheephunter 08-14-2012 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by depopulator (Post 1560676)
HT is new from Zeiss ? Not sure how that new gear would lower your bank account - don't they sponsor you to sell their stuff ? :)

LOL.....It amazes me how some of you guys live in a dream world...any new gear that I want from them definitely lowers my bank account just as writing a cheque to anyone else does. Nothing in life is free....:snapoutofit: