Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Canvasbacks and Bluebills? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=404349)

GooseSlammer 10-17-2021 01:03 PM

Canvasbacks and Bluebills?

Hi everyone,

I am on a quest for a trophy Drake Canvasback and Bluebill. I covered several hundred miles throughout central Alberta this week and only saw a few bluebills. I think what was previously in the area has now moved south.

I have an old chocolate lab that I am trying to have some fun with and knock a few ducks off of our bucket list together while we still can. Planning on Hunting two or three days this week in southern Alberta looking for these two drakes. If anyone knows a good spot where a guy can get a chance at these species I would really appreciate a message or any suggestions. Obviously I will be putting the miles on regardless, but if someone has a good area to recommend please send me a PM if You can. :):):)

I’m thinking somewhere between Lethbridge and Brooks or further south from there.

Just FYI I do a lot of duckhunting in other parts of the province. So I would not be hunting these places repeatedly in the future. Just hoping to get one Drake of each pieces for the wall.

Thanks in advance if anybody has some tips!

ALBTUFF 10-18-2021 09:05 AM

Not southern Alberta but I have shot a lot of lesser's at North Buck Lake. I even got a greater scaup there once. A ton of ring necks too, if you are looking. PM me if you are needing details.

alpinebeers 10-18-2021 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GooseSlammer (Post 4426954)
Hi everyone,

I am on a quest for a trophy Drake Canvasback and Bluebill. I covered several hundred miles throughout central Alberta this week and only saw a few bluebills. I think what was previously in the area has now moved south.

I have an old chocolate lab that I am trying to have some fun with and knock a few ducks off of our bucket list together while we still can. Planning on Hunting two or three days this week in southern Alberta looking for these two drakes. If anyone knows a good spot where a guy can get a chance at these species I would really appreciate a message or any suggestions. Obviously I will be putting the miles on regardless, but if someone has a good area to recommend please send me a PM if You can. :):):)

I’m thinking somewhere between Lethbridge and Brooks or further south from there.

Just FYI I do a lot of duckhunting in other parts of the province. So I would not be hunting these places repeatedly in the future. Just hoping to get one Drake of each pieces for the wall.

Thanks in advance if anybody has some tips!

I've shot a lot of canvasbacks at Frank Lake east of High River. In saying that I haven't hardly seen any yet this year. Not sure if they haven't started to move south yet? We were still shooting teal this weekend which is odd. Slower migration this year maybe??

GooseSlammer 10-18-2021 12:39 PM

Thanks guys. Is Frank Lake safe for a dog to swim in? I've heard comments about bacteria and other issues in the lake from the packing plants nearby.

Used to hunt there a bit when I was younger but didn't know about those issues at the time.

And yes, definitely a strange migration this year! I shot a 95% colored up Spoony the other day in central Alberta! I couldn't believe it when the flock came over my head. Also got the nicest Pintail drake I've ever seen in 30 years. Normally most of these are gone by now, but it's been so warm it's creating some interesting opportunities. :happy0180:

MyAlberta 10-18-2021 02:27 PM

Best place I found for these guys are the bush lakes east of Edmonton (Blackfoot). A late freeze helps plumage. For mounts though it’s mating plumage or an interesting pose. Mallards seem to have advanced plumes this year and nice pintails as well

North40Rules 10-18-2021 02:57 PM

Condradulations on the Pintail!

Quote:

Originally Posted by GooseSlammer (Post 4427429)
Thanks guys. Is Frank Lake safe for a dog to swim in? I've heard comments about bacteria and other issues in the lake from the packing plants nearby.

Used to hunt there a bit when I was younger but didn't know about those issues at the time.

And yes, definitely a strange migration this year! I shot a 95% colored up Spoony the other day in central Alberta! I couldn't believe it when the flock came over my head. Also got the nicest Pintail drake I've ever seen in 30 years. Normally most of these are gone by now, but it's been so warm it's creating some interesting opportunities. :happy0180:

Congratulations on the Pintail Drake in all of his glory, one of the most beautiful ducks for sure! I have never been fortunate to get one. Did you happen to take a picture, would be great to see one? What is a Spoony?

SouthWestRanger 10-18-2021 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by North40Rules (Post 4427511)
Congratulations on the Pintail Drake in all of his glory, one of the most beautiful ducks for sure! I have never been fortunate to get one. Did you happen to take a picture, would be great to see one? What is a Spoony?

Spoonbill, it’s a puddle duck aptly named for its spoon shaped bill

Smoky buck 10-18-2021 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthWestRanger (Post 4427529)
Spoonbill, it’s a puddle duck aptly named for its spoon shaped bill

I think you mean shoveler

snareman 10-18-2021 05:36 PM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...4b59f4f37f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tronneroi 10-19-2021 07:28 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, I always thought spoonbills and shovelers were the same thing?

GooseSlammer 10-19-2021 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snareman (Post 4427579)

Nice ducks!!! Those are the kind of Cans I'm hoping for! Well done! :happy0180:

GooseSlammer 10-19-2021 09:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the Pintail and a couple of others.

Spoony (aka Northern Shoveler) is the one in the back. He's almost colored up enough to mount. Perfect other than his head. Will see what my taxidermist has to say about options...

Gadwall in the middle was the nicest I've ever seen. Him and the Pintail (plus a greenhead and some others) are heading to Art of Taxidermy this week. :sHa_shakeshout:

Smoky buck 10-19-2021 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tronneroi (Post 4427786)
Correct me if I'm wrong, I always thought spoonbills and shovelers were the same thing?

Never heard spoon bill but it could just be a slang name for Northern shoveler

SouthWestRanger 10-19-2021 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoky buck (Post 4427554)
I think you mean shoveler

I did haha

alpinebeers 10-19-2021 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GooseSlammer (Post 4427429)

Ive had dogs in it for the last 20 years give or take with no issues so far

Ryanpktaxiderm 10-19-2021 02:56 PM

I'm just seeing divers start to move through edmonton area this week. Buffleheads and bluebill starting to show up on lakes in the area. On a side note that spoonie is really cool!

North40Rules 10-19-2021 05:51 PM

Bucket List

Thanks for uploading the picture GooseSlammer they are all beautiful. Clark Gable's favorite ducks to hunt in California when he was around were Pintails, supposed to be delicious too. The Pintail in Full Plumage is on my Bucket List! :)