Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Wasp nests (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=404309)

Dewey Cox 10-16-2021 10:07 AM

Wasp nests

Now that the leaves are mostly gone, I seem to be noticing a lot of wasp nests.
This did seem to be a busy year for wasps, so the number shouldn't be surprising.
What I do find interesting is how many nests I'm seeing so close together. I am finding two or three nests within spitting distance.
Is this a normal thing I've just never noticed before?
Are you guys seeing this out on your travels?
This also makes me wonder about the theory of wasps being territorial, and hanging a fake nest to scare away wasps from your yard.

Sundancefisher 10-16-2021 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dewey Cox (Post 4426559)
Now that the leaves are mostly gone, I seem to be noticing a lot of wasp nests.
This did seem to be a busy year for wasps, so the number shouldn't be surprising.
What I do find interesting is how many nests I'm seeing so close together. I am finding two or three nests within spitting distance.
Is this a normal thing I've just never noticed before?
Are you guys seeing this out on your travels?
This also makes me wonder about the theory of wasps being territorial, and hanging a fake nest to scare away wasps from your yard.

Normally they don’t nest close by unless out of sight.

Interesting article I read said most people hate them yet all summer they are munching tons of bugs people don’t like in their gardens.

Only in the Fall when they stop getting fed the sugary excretions in here nest that they start seeking sugary stuff like people’s drinks and food.

I was thinking my wasp control needs changing. Likely a small chunk of meat in a trap would be better in the summer for bait and then apple juice in the Fall.

Big Grey Wolf 10-17-2021 10:13 AM

I find 2 liter coke bottle near wasp nest works. One I did not change out all summer had about 1 pound of wasps. My favorite though is 20 gauge shotgun with #6 shot. Nest, wasps, honeycomb all disappear in a flash of gun powder.

calgarychef 10-17-2021 11:08 AM

I hate wasps. But… I was sitting in a treestand awhile ago in a big spruce and I was “wasp watching”. Those little buggers flew everywhere in that tree hunting and eating insects off that tree. I’ve decided I hate them a little less.

Grizzly Adams1 10-17-2021 11:14 AM

The wind has been blowing a lot of them out of the trees, amazing just how common are this year. Lady I know believes it's bears , but no bear could reach some of them by any stretch.

Grizz

Hunter65 10-18-2021 04:15 PM

Lots of Nests

1 Attachment(s)
Yellowjackets took over this birdhouse in my yard, with a blackjacket nest maybe 20 feet behind. I dont think either are bothered by the others nest in the vicinity. Lots of nests this year for both yellow and blackjackets.

Smoky buck 10-18-2021 04:52 PM

They have been everywhere this year. I had not been stung in probably 10years up until this year and I have probably been stung around 30 times. I have been seeing lots of nests in the bush too