Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Guns & Ammo Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Gunwerks in financial trouble. (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=381933)

Pathfinder76 05-22-2020 06:26 AM

Gunwerks in financial trouble.

Uh oh.

https://k2radio.com/wells-fargo-sues...s-2-8-million/

elkhunter11 05-22-2020 06:38 AM

I am not at all surprised.At the prices they charge, I am surprised that people actually buy their rifles.

DeadEyeGardner 05-22-2020 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elkhunter11 (Post 4173916)
i am not at all surprised.at the prices they charge, i am surprised that people actually buy their rifles.

x100

buckman 05-22-2020 07:06 AM

One of the outfits that created the idea that shooting at extreme range is ethical.

Redneck 7 05-22-2020 07:24 AM

Plus now people are shooting the same distance with the same results with rifle and scope combos that total 1k. Or even 2-3K but still I’m not very surprised.

waldedw 05-22-2020 07:45 AM

At 9 - 10 K for a bare rifle I can see why sales are not brisk, especially with most gun manufactures offering models in the $1,500 - $2,500 range that will shoot well under 1 MOA

marky_mark 05-22-2020 08:18 AM

Ya they released a new rifle 2 weeks ago and sold out all 50 rifles in 12 hours
6 month wait time
No one is buying their product
🙄

marky_mark 05-22-2020 08:33 AM

These guys brought a lot of innovation to the market
They were the first to offer tips to help people who weren’t even their customers shoot better.
They were trend setters
Every single rifle manufacturer has tried to develop something that could compete with what Gunwerks was offering. The same goes for optics companies

Dean2 05-22-2020 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marky_mark (Post 4173967)
6 month wait time
🙄

I think maybe you should have read the article before you posted this. I am sure there are people buying the guns but apparently not near enough. Receiver appointed and Gunwerks voluntarily agreed. So much for any warranty coverage on a ten grand rifle.

marky_mark 05-22-2020 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean2 (Post 4173987)
I think maybe you should have read the article before you posted this. I am sure there are people buying the guns but apparently not near enough. Receiver appointed and Gunwerks voluntarily agreed. So much for any warranty coverage on a ten grand rifle.

I read it
I’m not concerned for warranty coverage
I’m more concerned about products in the works, not making it to market anymore

Stinky Coyote 05-22-2020 08:47 AM

All that hunting all over the world adds up.

Hope they sort it out, they started an evolution. Well, back when they were part of The best of the west.

elkhunter11 05-22-2020 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marky_mark (Post 4173967)
6 month wait time
🙄

Obviously they didn't sell enough rifles to pay their expenses, and their taxes, or they wouldn't be in this situation.:rolleye2:

CaberTosser 05-22-2020 09:26 AM

If their rifles sell quickly, it would seem to be epic mismanagement then. Too much spent on advertising and I’ll bet the execs were taking what they saw as ‘their profits’ before paying their debts. I bet one drive past their homes would show a nice home, nice truck, a new boat, a nice quad, etc.

Pathfinder76 05-22-2020 11:15 AM

I’m not an expert on business, but they just moved into a new enormous facility. A facility that cost a lot more than 2.5 MM. That likely means a huge capital injection into the project. Rapid expansion can kill a small business

marky_mark 05-22-2020 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuck (Post 4174127)
I’m not an expert on business, but they just moved into a new enormous facility. A facility that cost a lot more than 2.5 MM. That likely means a huge capital injection into the project. Rapid expansion can kill a small business

Ya if I’m not mistaken they built a new training center too

marky_mark 05-22-2020 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuck (Post 4174127)

Yes, rapid expansion sounds good on paper. But you usually don’t make as much as if you stay small and efficient

Pathfinder76 05-22-2020 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marky_mark (Post 4174143)
Yes, rapid expansion sounds good on paper. But you usually don’t make as much as if you stay small and efficient

Absolutely

bobtodrick 05-22-2020 12:01 PM

Always sorry to see companies like this fail...whether it be firearms, automobiles or sound gear. These are the companies that usually develop cutting edge capabilities that other companies then copy and put into their reasonably priced products.

Who Da Fisherman 05-22-2020 12:50 PM

After they are done, Open a new bank account at Wells Fargo and get a free firearm.
WDF

Stinky Buffalo 05-22-2020 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobtodrick (Post 4174151)
Always sorry to see companies like this fail...whether it be firearms, automobiles or sound gear. These are the companies that usually develop cutting edge capabilities that other companies then copy and put into their reasonably priced products.

Ditto.

Redneck 7 05-22-2020 03:17 PM

That’s true. I listen to the modern day sniper pod cast and the one host works for gunwerks. He mentioned how he does training and such there. I wonder if the covid thing really impacted their training schedule and such. That could put a company in red fast, upgrade facility and offer training then bam no training allowed due to pandemic.

Deer Hunter 05-22-2020 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marky_mark (Post 4174143)

Montana rifle co went under as well citing

Quote:

While sales of our popular calibers have been outstanding, production levels have not risen to a profitable level to continue, without additional investments,” CEO Calvin Bontrager explained. “New equipment would be required to reach a service level demanded by our dealers and conservation groups.”

“With sales of the popular M1999 control feed actions nearly doubling in 2019, Montana Outdoor Group, is actively searching for restructuring opportunities,” Bontrager continued.

https://montanarifleco.com/wp-conten...ure-Letter.pdf

Business is tough all over. Big or small.

Tronneroi 05-22-2020 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waldedw (Post 4173947)
At 9 - 10 K for a bare rifle I can see why sales are not brisk, especially with most gun manufactures offering models in the $1,500 - $2,500 range that will shoot well under 1 MOA

No kidding, you could build a custom rifle with optics for half that price.

A friend of mine made custom wood furniture and a "boutique" furniture store offered to consign it for him. He charged reasonable prices and it was constantly overlooked. Doubled the price and they sold like hotcakes...

Easy to blow the dough when you have it, but will it shoot better than something half the price? I doubt it.

Jerry D 05-22-2020 06:18 PM

As more people go with custon rifles your all in carbon fiber ti everything for 7k max probably.

5k builds a REALLY nice traditional rifle

Ive no experience with gunwerks but for the price, they should shoot 1/2 moa and be as good as all the best from proof manners mcmillian triggertech etc

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

sako1 05-22-2020 07:02 PM

I just read that Gunwerks is alive and well.

pikergolf 05-22-2020 07:03 PM

So I have to ask, was their emphasis on long range shooting a detriment to the hunting community?

catnthehat 05-22-2020 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pikergolf (Post 4174429)
So I have to ask, was their emphasis on long range shooting a detriment to the hunting community?

I don't think it was a detriment at all ( not that I am a fan of Gunwerks or best of the West )as far as hunting in general goes. The gun haters always have and always will hate, if they do not have a reason they will find one.
Cat

pikergolf 05-22-2020 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catnthehat (Post 4174434)
I don't think it was a detriment at all ( not that I am a fan of Gunwerks or best of the West )as far as hunting in general goes. The gun haters always have and always will hate, if they do not have a reason they will find one.
Cat

I have no idea how you tied gun haters into this thread?

catnthehat 05-22-2020 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pikergolf (Post 4174439)
I have no idea how you tied gun haters into this thread?

I thought you were talking about the public's view of hunters, not our own hunting community's view of long range kills.
As far as that goes we are our own worst enemies, it doesn't matter if it is bow hunting, long range hunting, sub gauge shotgunning, someone that doesn't hunt like that will be opposed to it!:thinking-006:
Cat

Tronneroi 05-22-2020 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catnthehat (Post 4174442)
I thought you were talking about the public's view of hunters, not our own hunting community's view of long range kills.
Ass far as that goes we are our own worst enemies, it doesn't matter if it is bow hunting, long range hunting, sub gauge shotgunning, someone that doesn't hunt like that will be opposed to it!:thinking-006:
Cat

Hey Cat, watch your language :)